Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Autumn/winter wear qeustion – new to the UK
  • mattjevans
    Free Member

This is my first UK winter (am from New Zealand, but the parts where it doesn’t snow) and my first winter mountain biking (used to ride roads only, but a few years back). I’m not sure what I should be wearing from the waist down for trail riding as we move into winter (I’m pretty set for the top with various combos of cycling and ski gear). Also I don’t do lycra/tighties as “outerwear”.

So I was thinking of:
    Some sort of 3/4 “Roubaix” fleecey bib short
    Over the top, either my normal shorts (Royal SP247) or the same version in the long DH-style pants
    Some combination of long thin ski socks or normal socks with leg warmers, or knee-shin combo pads (will these work with 3/4 bibs?)

Is that going to do the job? Particularly appreciate any comments on shorts vs DH pants and 3/4’s vs normal lycra bib shorts with knee-shin pads.

Cheers

neninja
    Free Member

If it’s warm enough I just wear the same as Summer – shorts with bibshort. If it’s almost freezing I wear 3/4 bib shorts with regular trail shorts or waterproof trail shorts over the top. Then move on to full length windproof bib’s under shorts when it’s uber cold.

SiB
    Free Member

Wet and warm…..bib shorts, light waterproof jacket
    Wet and cold…..bib shorts, gloves and more substantial waterproof coat

My view is that if my clothes are going to get wet wear as little as possible, its not like you feel the cold in your legs unless its an all dayer with lots of stops

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    atlaz
    Free Member

If it’s really cold, tights with baggies over but with overshoes to keep my feet warm. Top half, merino base, thick jersey, winter jacket, winter gloves, skully, helmet

wwaswas

If it’s wet I have a pair of dhb Event shorts and if it’s really wet a pair of gore 3/4 length Goretex ones. They dont’ seem significantly sweatier than normal ones if it’s damp, tbh, and I hate havign a wet bum.

I’d really recommend some waterproof shoes/boots, too. Even if they get wet from rain coming in the top they tend to stay warm as they’re windproof and the water warms up from your body heat (eventually).

and sealskinz socks, too.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Partly depends on where you’ll be riding.

I live and ride mostly in the South (so not as cold, windy, exposed as further North). Most of the time 3/4 shorts (Endura 500’s) over padded roadie style cycling shorts plus base layer (HH or Ice Breaker) and a T-shirt/long sleeved shirt. I have a Endura Windchill jacket for when it gets cold. I rarely wear a full waterproof as if it’s raining I tend to ride in the woods so out of the worst of it. SealSkinz waterproof socks are excellent (knee length ones for when it’s really wet). Full fingered gloves (but not full on winter ones)

When it get’s really cold I have lined tights and a cap which goes under the helmet.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Three quarter length bib shorts for most occasions due to my knee getting clicky if exposed to too much cold weather. If you’re feeling all self conscious you can wear some baggies over the top for that wakeboarder look.

When I was commuting in all weathers I’d opt for full length tights. I may have looked a **** but I was a warm and comfortable **** which after all is the best kind of ****.

ahwiles
    Free Member

ronhill tracksters ftw!

mattjevans
    Free Member

Thanks. 3/4’s and shorts and sealskinz it is

chiefgrooveguru

Depends on where in the UK you are. I wear much the same in summer and winter in the SE riding in the woods.

mattjevans
    Free Member

St albans

chiefgrooveguru

I wear normal baggies (Endura Singletracks) with stretchy synthetic boxers underneath if it’s not super cold or if it’s wet; whilst when it’s properly cold I wear 3/4 baggies. Also vary between shorter than ankle socks, normal short socks and up to knee socks, including short-ish Sealskinz, depending on coldness/wetness. Once in a blue moon I’ll wear Lycra shorts underneath but only if it’s a day of long pedally riding and it’s cold. How cold can your legs actually get when they’re working hard riding a bike?!

On the top I do s/s base layer (remove this when it’s warm) over l/s base layer plus v light waterproof (which rarely comes out). Antique Buffalo shirt comes out in the snow, Paramo jacket for trips to northerly places when it’s foul weather all day. Full-finger gloves all year, windproof ones when it’s colder.

RoterStern
    Free Member

If you want to blend in with the locals then I would recommend that when it is freezing cold outside just to wear a pair of baggy shorts and a cotton T-shirt and a pair of thin gloves. Make sure that your legs look pink or blue with cold to get the real local effect. That’s was what it was like last time I was in the UK in winter any way. 😯

molgrips
    Free Member

For winter mtbing I use a pair of what can only be described as ‘outdoor gear’ trousers I got in the US. Stretchy, slim fitting, but still trousers not tights. Like this http://www.rei.com/product/835243/rei-winterflyte-pants-mens

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

molgrips: Nodding in general approval but one question. Don’t the bottom of the outdoor gear trousers get oily from rubbing on the chain/chainrings?

kiwifiz
    Free Member

Fellow Kiwi and ex st Albans…snap! :-). The altura attack waterproof shorts get the thumbs up from lots of buddies for when it’s wet, otherwise the better breathability/less rubbing noise of your normal shorts will do over padded cycling unders. I drag out full length lined bib tights to go under shorts only when it gets sub zero-ish so guess I’ve acclimatised the past 15 years!. Covers over shoes helps a bit, as does a thin merino sock layer under your sealskins. For ultimate winter luxury I’ve gone for a pair of Lake MXZ302 boots…toasty feet in the snow and -8º conditions! But one to find in the sales as ridiculously expensive.

Top half is merino base layer….short or long temp dependant, and then either just a long sleeve standard top top with a windproof/water resistant gilet (which you’ll probably need to take off as you warm up) or for colder conditions a long sleeve windproof water resistant layer. Full on waterproof only come out for proper rain/cold and even then you need massive pit zips/ front zip if you don’t want to massively overheat 10 minutes into your ride. Flexibility with layers is key as you overheat fast on climbs, and cool down even faster if you have to stop for repairs/buddies etc.

Thin merino gloves under standard gloves (icebreaker ones are about right), sealskin waterproof winter gloves if sub zero (otherwise too hot)…same for under helmet layer and neck sleeve thing…usually to counter wind chill on exposed elevated sub zero or there about rides….merino balaclava the ultimate neck/head combo if it’s really cold. clear lens glasses to stop you eyeballs freezing on the speedy sections, and the snow googles come out if it’s a night ride sub zero. That just about covers it….

Let me know if you need some local riding buddies to hook up with in St Albans.

molgrips
    Free Member

Muppet… not sure if my trousers are the exact same as that, cannot remember the model name but they are REI and the description sounds right. On me the ankles are just tight enough not to foul the chain. There may be a little touching from time to time but I cannot tell because the trousers are black 🙂 no damage after lots of use.

Only caveat I suppose is a slight lack of bum, but only slight. Other trousers and even cycling tights have been way worse. And I do have a big bum to cover up, 90% of casual trousers don’t fit at all.

mattjevans
    Free Member

thanks kiwifiz, any suggestions for riding groups around here appreciated

went and bought some fleecy 3/4’s yesterday, found my wife has some sealskinz socks that I can steal, and all the top half stuff I’m pulling out of my ski gear box. Should be set down to zero at least

br
    Free Member

Autumn
    Gore Phantom and short/long sleeved base
    3/4 padded shorts and waterproof baggies
    Sealskinz socks, windproof gloves and overshoes (racing spds)

Winter – ie below 5c
    Endura Stealth Jacket and long (thicker if needed) sleeved base
    Endura Stealth Trousers and padded shorts (3/4 if needed)
    Sealskinz socks, waterproof gloves and overshoes (racing spds)
    Skull cap cape in Camelbak for if stopped/punctures etc

Winter shoes are also good.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Get waterproof shorts. Seriously. They are one of the best things I’ve ever bought for riding in- wear them over bibs and even if you have mudguards you will be more comfortable.

Other than that, nice base layer (I like Craft ones), sealskinz and a jersey and a thin waterproof and get cracking.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Definitely depends where you’re riding.

SE mostly and baggies all year round with knee pads and just layer up the tops in the winter for warmth if it really gets that cold, but rarely does. Got a few thin but warm shower proof jackets for rain and mud. I don’t need proper waterproofs as I don’t generally ride bleak windswept and wet moorlands, peaks, and the like, though if I did I’d go with one of the more waterproof jackets if it’s chucking it down, or just get soaked. Change of clothes in the car.

If it really gets sub zero (one or two days in a the year round here), might actually cover the lower legs but they don’t feel the cold much.

No bibs. Only should be used for Wrestling 😛

matt_outandabout

Get waterproof shorts. Seriously. They are one of the best things I’ve ever bought for riding in- wear them over bibs and even if you have mudguards you will be more comfortable.

And Merino.

TiRed

3/4 roubaix, sealskinz. Get the longest sock you can find.

Andy_B

bit of ablast from the past but have a look at this.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/watford-area

Basil

Wet and cold.Get in the car

Basil

Wet and cold.Get in the car

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Autumn/winter wear qeustion – new to the UK’ is closed to new replies.