Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Autumn/winter glove recommendation for the cold handed, anyone?
  • Northwind

I’ve got pretty poor circulation so it’s time to start thinking about warmer gloves. My old Fox Antifreezes that i use for colder autumn days (*) are pretty much worn out and they seem to be discontinued… Water resistant or waterproof would be a bonus I think. No palm padding, and no pulling-inside-out linings please!

I might pick up a set of Fox Polar Sidewinders, the standard Sidewinder are my normal gloves. But I haven’t a clue what else is good.

(* this probably indicates what I mean about poor circulation, for most people this is a proper winter glove, for me it’s autumn… So, warm kit pls! For winter I wear perfect curve neoprene window cleaner’s gloves!)

scotroutes

Pogies

CraigW
    Free Member

The Aldi winter gloves are great. I have poor circulation, and wear them for much of the autumn/winter.

Plus pogies if its really cold.

beefheart
    Free Member

Aldi +1

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Grab a pair of the Aldi winter and lobster gloves before they all go.

ton

i have used these for 5 years, with piss poor circulation due to my dodgy pump. they are perfect.

https://marmot.com/products/details/evolution-glove

MoreCashThanDash

Aldi + however many

jeff1155

I got a pair of 100% Briskers for £20 – fantastic cold weather gloves (still useable with a slice open through the palm – fell off and broke my fall with razor sharp flint!)

lunge

Aldi or these Decathlon bad boys for the winter.

Planet-x Roubaix for the spring/autumn. Though sadly I think they’re now discontinued.

momo

I don’t get on with bulky gloves, I find that the palms bulk up too much and restrict blood flow (I have some waterproof RST tractech gloves for the motorbike which are terrible, no feel at all form the bars!). I had an old pair of specialized ones which finally died last year (after 17 years of service!) which I replaced with a set of the 100% briskers, absolutely brilliant gloves, have mine in day-glo yellow and will be ordering a second set later today.

benp1

I’m an Aldi glove fan. I have 3 pairs of normal winter gloves and a pair of the lobster gloves, wore a pair of the normal winter gloves on this morning’s commute

BUT, they’re not great for grip. I went to BPW and did my first run with them on (it was early Jan), horrendous, had to go back to the car and change to normal gloves

For most of my normal riding they’re fine though. Pogies will be going on when it’s cold enough

ransos
    Free Member

The Aldi winter gloves are great.

They are unless you are going fast – then the wind starts to get through them.

Northwind

Briskers it is then, cheers!

(I have a pair of the aldi gloves for commuting but they don’t fit me well, it’s a bummer)

nwmlarge
    Free Member

100% Briskers all the way

jam-bo

scott minus work well for me without too much bulk. thinnish clarino palm, windstopper back.

not really any insulation material so depends on how cold your hands get.

onandon
    Free Member

After spending a fortune on Castilli, rapha, gore and Mavic gloves. I’ve been blown away by http://galibier.cc stuff.
    Their leather gloves are better quality than the rapha aquivilant for £100 less.
    The winter gloves are also spot on in fit and build quality.

Gary_M
    Free Member

The Aldi winter gloves are great.

They are unless you are going fast – then the wind starts to get through them.

I’ve been using aldi winter gloves for the past 4 years, I’ve really not found anything else as good in terms of warmth and water resistance..

Guess it depends what you mean by ‘going fast’, but I have a long downhill stretch on my commute, around 4 miles, where I’m doing 20mph+ for a considerable amount of time and never noticed an issue.

ransos
    Free Member

Guess it depends what you mean by ‘going fast’, but I have a long downhill stretch on my commute, around 4 miles, where I’m doing 20mph+ for a considerable amount of time and never noticed an issue.

They’re great for commuting & mtb, but I find on longer road rides that enough wind gets through to eventually make my hands cold.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Fair enough, although my commute is 20 miles, I can’t see how doing more miles would make the gloves less windproof 🙂

gazcrocker
    Free Member

Tend to wear my regular summer gloves through the winter as I like the feel they give but always carry a spare, dry pair in my bag. Also, when it’s really cold I carry a Zippo hand warmer and I toast my digits on that every now and then. Works a treat!

Northwind

Fox Polars and 100% Briskers ordered, cheers chaps! Bit of a wait for the Briskers.

dawson

I have some of the Aldi ones from a few years back, but this years look a lot nicer – can’t decide whether to go for the lobster style or not.

What’s the benefit of lobster over standard fingers?

(sorry for hijack)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Spesh Element 2.0.

Semi-lobster, so you get some of the benefit of a lobster (warmer) with some of the benefit of a normal glove (dexterity). Dawson, that’s pretty much it. A lobster glove is normally warmer as it allows better trapping of air around the hands, like a sleeping bag. A “normal” glove, however, is like a duvet. Better freedom of movement, so better at being able to use your fingers, but not as warm. IMHO, a semi-lobster is the best of both worlds. See also the truly brilliant Hestra 3 finger ski glove.

On gnarmac or MTB over really cold winters, the two free/two tucked up format of the Elements work really well for me.

Warm in all but the very, very coldest of weathers. Water repelling, as opposed to waterproof, but have never felt cold when they’ve been wet. Great reflective detail on them as well (Black ones for me).

sweepy
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of the glacier gloves but only really use them canoeing and occasionally with drop bars. On the mountain bike if its too cold for the aldi specials then I’m a convert to pogies.

dawson

@Cfh – thanks

benp1

Lobster gloves are warmer, your fingers keep each other warm. Mitts are even warmer

I find lobster gloves good for warmth and 2 finger braking from the hoods on hydro brakes on my arkose

racingsnail
    Free Member

I’ve got the 100% Brisker, Meh, I think you’ll be disappointed if you’re expecting a warm glove and once they get wet the cold cuts right through them.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Autumn/winter glove recommendation for the cold handed, anyone?’ is closed to new replies.