Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Autumn / winter Road bike tyres
  • zacgillbanks
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m new to this road bike lark and need some help choosing autumn / winter tyres. I’m thinking of going 28mm as I’d like something a bit smoother than the 25mm I currently run. I have disc brakes so can accommodate a wider tyre.

Cheers in advance.

pipiom
    Free Member

I’m also new (to road) and put 28mm GP4’s on my bike. Seemed to be one of the preferred tyres on here. I’m just experimenting with PSI ATM, but they seem pretty good. (By the way, take no notice of anyone that tells you how comfortable a road bike is, whatever the bike or tyre)

ahwiles
    Free Member

Schwalbe Durano’s should go on your list.

imho, the biggest reason for fitting a ‘winter tyre’ is puncture protection – as water will lubricate anything trying to cut it’s way into your tyre.

(the roads don’t get magically rougher in winter, but they do tend to get wetter, and covered in a bit more grit)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    zacgillbanks
    Free Member

Thanks for the info. My research so far identified the gp4 and duranos so it’s good to know that they’re recommended.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I got a piece of flint embedded in the carcass one of my GP4Seasons and it caused a number of punctures before I found it. Been fine since though.

Other guys on the club swear by Schwalbe Land Cruisers…

lunge

My 3 winter road options are:

Vittoria Open Pave are fast, grippy and my favourite winter tyre.
    Vredestein Senso Xtreme are damn fine too, a bit tougher and heavier but very good in the wet.
    And Schwalbe Marathon are for when you care not about weight or feel and only about not getting punctures.

MoreCashThanDash

I’ve run Michelin Pro4 Endurance the last few winters (and their predecessor Krylions) with no puncture issues – maybe one a year/2000 miles.

Think they have been renamed again, and the new bike is coming with Conti GP4S anyway.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Pro4 endurance/krylion was awesome, sadly Michelin have decided it was too popular and not made a direct replacement in the new tyre range.

stevious

I used to have schwalbe marathons on mine but they felt pretty bad in terms of grip and rolling resistance. I’d planned on letting them die before replacing them with something tubeless but just gave up in the end. I’d avoid them, personally.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

You could try a CX bike unless you you want to enter road sportives or have room for another bike in spring?

edhornby

for all weather tyres I mix front vs rear – on the front I go for some protection but grip paramount, on the back protection over all other. I’m a pro4endurance fan for front, if they really have stopped doing them it’s a shame. on the back I have a gatorskin which is really not good on the front (rubber compound not grippy) but ok on the back if you use as wide as you can and run at the bottom of the pressure range

vittoria and vredestein are next on my list to try, I like the idea of GP4season but they are expensive. Don’t get michelin lithions, they are crap cos they aren’t puncture proof

anagallis_arvensis

Just buy some tyres and change them every 6 months. Old tyres puncture more and if you buy expensive ones you/I am tempted to keep them for longer.

therevokid
    Free Member

conti ultrasport (original kit …) 28mm running 65 front 85 rear.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Autumn / winter Road bike tyres’ is closed to new replies.