Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Autumn Internationals / Six Nations rugby.
  • Kryton57

Look’s like and exciting 6 months ahead. So, the England 15 versus Fiji then this Saturday, I have my doubts.

Barrit & Tuillagi in the centre – defensively cautious. Monye on the wing – can defend well, and attack but needs a spark… so thats all down to Care, Sharples and Goode then?

However, the pack looks technically superior IMO, so its going to be a cold damp up-the jumper game through the forwards with England backs hopeful stifling Fijis runners when in posession, with a couple of fast guys about should we get an open opportunty I see the same style being employed throughout – which reeks of damage limitation perhaps.

Thoughts?

wrecker
    Free Member

He’s correctly using this to try out a few things (but not enough IMO). Goode and Youngs getting a go, Monye and Sharples given a chance to show what they can do following good performances for their clubs.
    Would have liked to have seen it go a bit further with Launchbury, Vunipola and maybe someone (maybe 36?) at inside centre. Waldrom hasn’t been playing well and needs to justify his selection, hope Wood gets a good run out.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wrecker
    Free Member

What do you think about Flood at FH Kryton?

Kryton57

Blind Melon, I can’t be bothered to try and spot international content amongst club/league/barnswick town so started something more specific.

Wrecker, I dunno. I don’t buy into the “best FH in the country” label, although really, who’s better?. He does have good days and when he’s ticking over the scoreboard who’s to argue. He doesn’t have the placement of say, ROG, the wily-ness or running of a good Cipriani, the brilliance of Dan Carter on the offload or the strength of Luke McAllister.

Maybe thats it, maybe he’s quite “good” at most things, but not outstanding at one thing.

However my statement their might sum up England really, we’ve been waiting for something/someone “special” for a while. It strikes me that in 2003 Richard Hill, Jonny, Back, Johnson, Greenwood, Robinson could be “special”, but who would you label that on Saturday?

Whats your view?

wrecker
    Free Member

Flood? Solid, dependable as you said good at most things but without that “spark” to change a game. I don’t think Farrell is the answer either. We have a crisis in a very important part of the field; 10/12. No exceptional talent at either. Tuilagi would be in my starting team and we have talent on the wings but they need to be better served. A good 10 who can spot and exploit gaps, and a slicing 12 who can break a line then release 13/11/14/15.
    We have boshers at 12 and 13 and kick/flat pass at 10 and it’s predictable and easily defended. I can’t see us winning much until this is remedied, and the games will be staid and boring to watch. The player most likely to make breaks is currently Care.

Kryton57

I agree with everything you said there. I don’t get it really as you only have to watch the AB’s for cutting lines and supporting lines – surely our coaches see that and hope to emulate? (But maybe in the players heads safety is paramount so they resort to safe play). Every time an AB player breaks the lines there are two or three following. In recent England games those breaks happen my chance and we end up isololated at best, pinged at worst.

The problem now of course is that they go up against the top 3 at home with a 6N to come – Lancaster won’t want to lose them so I don’t feel he’ll test / expose an open running game – he’ll want to limit damage for his / the teams credentials going forward.

However, better to die trying eh?

wrecker
    Free Member

Whilst I appreciate that they want a high IRB ranking for an easier time at the RWC, these are games of little consequence as are the 6N games IMHO. We should be using these to build towards the ultimate goal; the RWC. Get the young talent blooded, find who works best with the way SL wants the team to play (this isn’t always the most individually skilled player), experiment a bit. A bit of short term pain. Make those who pay the extortionate price for tickets feel lucky to have turned up, rather than watch another game of percentage rugby.
    There is plenty of talent in the prem, Glaws have some very exciting backs and I’m not wholly in favour of the most mercenary players (Barritt, Waldrom and Botha IMHO) wearing the shirt. I do acknowledge that there are valid arguments for Tuilagi, Vunipola and Hartley however.

Scamper
    Free Member

The problem with the england mentality of recent vintage, is they always appear to be building for the future, with some pain along the way. Unfortunately they have been doing this not especially well since 2003. You never hear of the AB rebuilding – they expect to win all the time. To be fair Lancaster appears to be offering up the `no excuses’ for these autumn internationals and 3 out of 4 wins is the minimum. No excuses for Wales either with home advantage.

On the shirt front Botha came over to England 8 yeards ago and was playing for the Dog and Duck 15 or some team while working in a carpet factory before being told he could go places, so perhaps he is not as mercenary as some.

druidh
    Free Member

* this thread is meaningless without TJ *

wrecker
    Free Member

It’s the “not especially well” bit which is key for me. They’ve never taken a ground up approach (MJ was the worst for this), and have always fallen back on the older dependables. SL is doing this better than most, but it’s still a little too much safety for me. Shirt issue aside, why are Waldrom and Botha in the squad? They’re 30 years old, are they really in line for the next RWC? Surely it would better serve England to get Launchbury and Morgan more experience? Similar with Monye, why not include Wade? He’s only going to get better, surely?

Kryton57

I think wades questionable in defence and has a fair bit to learn. However, nows the time…..

anagallis_arvensis

Flood is the least of yor worries imo. Problem is England have lots of good player the could choose 3 teams that would compete in the six nations the depth is amazing but Cole and Tuilagi apart very few are oustanding at international level. Wales have the opposite problem some otstanding players but when they are injured the back ups are dire.
    England will batter Fiji though.

Kryton57

I bet the story is that Fiji score the first try…

Kryton57

Ok I was wrong, looks OK so far – a much more expansive game by England. Impress by Youngs and Johnson, Charlie Sharples or Alex Goode could get man of the match IMO – both look hungry for the score.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Autumn Internationals / Six Nations rugby.’ is closed to new replies.