Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Autotrader & Parkers prices
  • bluebird
    Free Member

The prices for used cars quoted on Parkers are considerably lower than the prices listed in ads on Autotrader.

Is Parkers out on price or are people chancing their arm and expected to be knocked down?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

ime Parkers prices are an average. So a car that claims to have a fsh – but like a lot of cars – that claim doesnt stand close scrutiny, is included in the average. Honest clean cars that have been looked after will probably achieve at least what Parkers says.

But on average – they are probably pretty close. And of course some folk add on a margin for bartering etc.

You probably know this already – but this free government run service is great place to see a mileage history (and recurrent mot failures):
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/DG_10020539

spooky_b329

Depends on the car…they are a guide. I had a Mondeo Zetec Estate 130TDCi, there weren’t many around, they seemed to be about £1k above book on autotrader in my area, so I priced it optimistically, (£1.5k over book) expecting to reduce the price a week later – it sold the following day for £1k over. He phoned and said it was well over book, I justified why (not many around, similar ones are the same price and an hours drive away) told him I would accept £500 less. He came, he looked, he liked, he tried hard to bargain some more but I stood by the minimum price I told him on the phone, next thing I know the cash is on the table 🙂 I was lucky to sell it so quickly, but it was worth what I sold it for.

convert

I have found the same.

Firstly make sure you use the milage calculator at the front of the guide to alter the quoted price. Secondly it does say in the small print the prices are what you should aim to buy for, which I guess should be below what people are asking.

I agree though – 2 five year old cars I’m looking at, with very similar milage, condition & extras and yet £2K difference in price. One is priced to sell and one is chancing his arm or clueless. I think people don’t like to believe how little their car is really worth. My 2002 car is still in great condition; A/C, cruise control etc yet only worth the price of a couple of services for all that metal.

bluebird
    Free Member

Covert – that’s exactly what I’m experiencing. I’m looking for a Mazda 6 diesel estate. For the age/mileage/model I’m after Parkers says £11-13k (private – franchised), but the ad prices are all generally much higher and some are really high or the mileage is crazy.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I think people don’t like to believe how little their car is really worth

Hit the nail on the head.

TiRed

Covert – that’s exactly what I’m experiencing. I’m looking for a Mazda 6 diesel estate

I assume that’s the new one? If not run away or get a petrol. trust me Mazda’s first common-rail diesel engine was a nightmare. Mine managed 125K over 4 years before blowing the turbo and destroying the big end bearings. The lease company paid for the new turbo (£2K) then wrote the car off three weeks later for the want of a new engine.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Autotrader & Parkers prices’ is closed to new replies.