Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Automatically beat-matching & fading software for playing my mp3 collection…
    Free Member

Dear wealth of knowledge 😉

I'm looking for some software to automatically beat-match and fade/mix into the next track, I want to put a bit of a party on over christmas and for once i'm being slightly organised and sorting it out early.

I know there are people who have a job as a DJ but the ones I know of are either really quite weird and play like a local-radio dj (ie cheesy commercial rubbish) or play some gabba-techno nutterness, and that's not what I want either.

So, collective wealth of knowledge, do you have any suggestions for MP3 mixing/playing/dj auto cue software?

fwiw, it'll be stuff like 'another late night / late night tales' and 'back to mine' type music with a bit of fat freddy's drop, a tiny tiny bit of dubstep and maybe some funk/soul/motown etc 😉

ta and thank's in advance 😉
    jt 😉

beanum

There was a guy on Dragon's Den a couple of years ago who developed a program to do this. His plan was to run an MP3 website that would mix the tunes together for you. All the dragons told him to bin that business model and license the software to iTunes or similar. I'm not sure what happened to him or his program I'm afraid.
    A quick Google search found this site with some downloads that might work..?

Beat matching software

BTW Fat Freddys Drop – good choice! 🙂

chvck
    Free Member

Does it have to beat match? Pretty much all software is iffy on beat matching well consistently

MrAgreeable

IMO beatmatching doesn't really work with music made on real instruments. If you were playing a set of dubstep or hip hop then it would sound OK, but if you're dropping in funk and soul stuff (especially with vocals) then trying to match tempos is either going to narrow down your choice of music massively, or generate some very weird results with chipmunk vocals and the like. I used to try and mix "properly" when I played but after DJing with a few people who just slung on one record after another, and went down much better than my nerdy bedroom-rehearsed doings, I don't really bother any more!

You can start with your slowest tunes and build up to faster stuff, but I'd put together a set with a bit of contrast and variation, rather than lumping all the samey-sounding stuff together, and do your fades and mixing using Audacity or similar.

chvck
    Free Member

Mr Agreeable makes good points! Also I have yet to see any software that will auto fade in/out unless it's at the end of the track or after a preset time, even if you can find some I HIGHLY doubt it'll fade at a sensible point in teh tracks!

tomzo
    Free Member

http://www.mixalbum.com/main/home?a=20P-20V&c=C&demomix

This is the wesbite from dragons den..

TooTall
    Free Member

Even something like the Beatmapping element of Sony Acid (expensive software) has trouble picking out the proper beat in 'organic' music. It means you have to manually map it yourself – so I can't see other software being any better.

You are being so organized you could probably start mixing it yourself now!

Free Member

The only thing I can mix is a cake, and the last time I did that, the recipe said "put in the bottom of the oven" so I did – it was cake on the outside and christmas pudding on the inside.

Thank's for the replies people, most appreciated! I think i'll just put together a play list and have it fade using some sh*tty software I have already, who will care after a few drinks anyway?

So long as it sounds alright, i'll be a happy man!! 😉

Riofer
    Free Member

Jon – I know a very good DJ in Sheffield who plays pretty much what you described. Drop me a line if your beat mixing experiments don't work out

Free Member

Riofer – you got mail 😉

StumpyBlurRider
    Free Member

trackor £165

peachos
    Free Member

why don't you make a mix-tape of what you want to hear, burn on to a few CDs and wack that in the stereo? a much more personal touch and will prevent you from spending time cueing tracks up at your party.

Based on a True Story is ace
    Mr Boondigga and the Big W is not a patch on BOATS

Black Seeds are the shizzle 🙂

but…

Rhombus kick them all into touch!

peachos
    Free Member

oh, and not forgetting Kora.

Yey for Kiwi dub.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Automatically beat-matching & fading software for playing my mp3 collection…’ is closed to new replies.