• This topic has 47 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Solo.
Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Automatic watches … How robust are they? Omega Seamaster interest
  • matthewlhome
    Free Member

my dad has a speedmaster (admittedly a manual wind) and it survived a pretty good crash in Mammoth mountain about 15 years ago. Still worn and works fine everyday, but did get a little scuffed. That polished out though!

boblo
    Free Member

rosscopeco – Member

<snip> but going forward <snip>

Titter…. 😀

Solo
    Free Member

Before reading the posts by some of the Omega owners, I’d have said wear an Auto just as you would a quartz.

I own several Autos and never give them a thought when on any of my bikes.

Again, any activity, working on cars, bikes, DIY, whatever.
    The watches are worn.
    They get dropped and knocked about will no ill effect.

I have an Omega De Ville from the early noughties, one of the earliest mass run models with a Co-Axial movement.
    Its Chronometer rated, keeps great time and is worn without regard for whatever I’m doing.
    I’d suggest a Co-Axial movement as they are supposed to require less servicing and are more accurate.

I’ve a Breitling Chrono Colt from the late 90s.
    Tough as old boots, taken loads of bangs and wallops.
    Doesn’t miss a beat.
    But servicing intervals are about 3 years, constant wear.
    Last service was Dec, at 385 GBP.

My suggestion to the OP is that if you buy an Auto, then wear it all the time.

rogg
    Free Member

I’m going to join the £5 timex crowd

For the same price you could get one of these.
    The timepiece of choice for all discerning jihadis.

Aus
    Free Member

Solo and others … how accurate – roughly how many secs are your watches gaining / losing per 24 hrs?

tonyd

Aus – hard to say as I’ve never really paid that much attention. I usually set it when it gets to about 5 minutes out which is maybe every other month.

Edit to add: Other than when it proper broke and started gaining time it’s always lost it. I always assumed this was to be expected of a self winding watch.

nicko74

golf breaks automatic watches? Really?

I learned this the hard way, unfortunately; the verdict from the official service centre was that it had had “a serious impact”, which basically stopped it from winding.

Makes me laugh/ groan every time I see Rolex sponsoring golf tournaments…

Solo
    Free Member

Aus.

Firstly, I do not own auto watches for ultimate accuracy.
    We have atomic clocks for that.
    😀

Ime, each Manufacturer should quote their accuracy for any given calibre.

For example. My Breitling, being a Chronograph, was rated by Breitling as not gaining or lossing more than 5 mins a month.
    After the first service, the watch was gaining more than this.
    I returned it to my jeweller, explained that the watch was out of spec according to Brietling’s own literature, and Breitling duely corrected this, FoC.

The movement in my De Ville is rated as a Chronometer.
    I forget the exact accuracy as quoted by Omega, but have the feeling that it is losing / gaining seconds a week, rather than upto 1 in 15 sec, as the breitling would.

As you will know, this is the principle reason for the price difference between Chronographs and meters.

I’m seriously contemplating a Jeager Le Coultre reverso.
    Lady luck is about to ride into town and I have wanted a reverso for a long time.
    Jaeger are again, slightly unique, quoting their calibres by their own 1000 hour standard.

Basically, do some research into the calibre you want and ascertain its rated accuracy.
    Also get some idea of servicing costs, if that is a consideration for you in the future.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Automatic watches … How robust are they? Omega Seamaster interest’ is closed to new replies.