Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • AutoExpress folding bike group test – oh dear!
  • tonyg2003

So full marks for AutoExpress for running a folding bike group test (you can put them in the boot of your car you know)

Zero marks for running the Airnimal Joey with the forks – in best BSO mode 😀 – the wrong way around. Even worse that they are disc brakes and it’s likely that you’d rip the caliper off at the first serious stop.

It sort of devalues the findings of their grouptest!

bencooper
    Free Member

Haven’t read it, but I can only imagine.

However:

Even worse that they are disc brakes and it’s likely that you’d rip the caliper off at the first serious stop.

No, you wouldn’t – if anything, on the front of the right fork leg is a better place to put the caliper – it means the wheel is forced into the dropouts under braking, not out of them.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Link anyone to the review ,
    And yes plenty of things have the caliper front right hand leg

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jam-bo

is this a fail by the OP?

tonyg2003

Sorry no link available yet.

Well I’ve never seen a disc brake mounted in front of the fork. The forces acting on the caliper are not into the main part of the fork but in tension to the caliper bolts. Nevermind the horrible geometry of having a fork the wrong way round!

wwaswas

The forces acting on the caliper are not into the main part of the fork but in tension to the caliper bolts.

where’s cynic-al when you need him?

njee20
    Free Member

Only one I can think of that’s like that by design is the Cotic Road Rat fork, but agree it’s not an inherently bad thing because of the way the forces are acting on the dropouts. Yes it’s putting the top bolt particularly under a bit more stress, but it’s not that bad.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I have a road rat , several k later the disk mount has not just ripped off

Also geometry is only bad if you are a retard and use anormal fork backwards- roadhog is designed to be that way 😉

bencooper
    Free Member

Of course it’s possible to do both 😉

Custom Bromptons 2 by Ben Cooper, on Flickr

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘AutoExpress folding bike group test – oh dear!’ is closed to new replies.