Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Austria – with kids
  • wakemalcolm
    Free Member

Hi

We went to Austria last summer and, predictably, pitched up at Leogang. Now, I’ve no doubt that it’s a top class facility, and the stuff I saw going down on the north shore sections will live long in the memory, however, the options for kids were pretty much:

1. the tamest pump track known to man
    2. a conveyer belt up to about 200 yards of simple singletrack or
    3. ‘Family’ trails that went up and down forest fire roads at gradients of 10-20% that were no fun at all.

I’m wondering if I’m missing a trick. A bit like up here in Scotland where the best blue trail single tracks (such as 7 Stanes and Glenlivet) aren’t necessarily where the best countryside is (insert argument here but eg Inverpolly), does the same apply over there.

Does anyone have any knowledge of decent flowing blue standard trail across there to discourage me from taking a road bike?

Thanks
    Malcolm

TheOtherJamie
    Free Member

Take the gondola to the top and turn right. There’s a gopro sponsored trail back to the bottom that’s all tabletops and berms. Great fun if you like that sort of thing.

When we went they had closed the DH tracks due to an upcoming race so we ended up riding it all day.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I think people in the UK don~t realise how lucky they are when it comes to how accessable MTBing has become. IME Austria generally doesn’t offer the graded trail centre trails that you find in the UK. There is plenty of riding to be had but the trail centre type stuff is really aimed at the DH/freeride fraternity and the rest is aimed at the trail hiking types (so lots of climbing and decending on wide tracks with amazing views.) It seemed to me all the interesting singletrack stuff was off limits to MTBers.

colp

Jamie is talking about Flying Gangster, the main freeride track there. It can be fairly smooth depending on time of year.
    This year they put in a new track from the top called Hot Shots. It’s a tabletop bonanza and not steep, younger kids would be fine although I’d still recommend a full suss bike.
    I’m afraid they don’t really gear the area (including Saalbach/Hinterglemm) to really young kids.
    My lad started riding there around age 10 on a 4″ travel full suss Kona, even then it was pretty rough until he got a full DH bike.
    This is him off the big cannon in the finish area.

There’s a flow trail in Maria Alm down the road and they are building another next spring, but it’s on a different lift pass to Leogang. Some accommodation do a pass included though.

Check out my mates at Biking Austria

jambalaya
    Free Member

Chapeau to “little” colp

OP in my experience most Alpine resorts ideas of family trails are low level rides on lakeside paths

stilltortoise
    Free Member

It’s been a few years since I mountain biked in Kitzbuhel, but there was no shortage of great stuff to ride on. It just wasn’t way marked like at a trail centre. The best stuff was following the footpaths and sheep tracks.

higgins
    Free Member

We went to Schladming in Austria. Didnt do much biking but loads to do with kids; walking, via ferrata, ace pool, cable car, glacier, mountain hut.
    Stayed with these guys:
    http://www.austrian-alpine-apartments.com/en/
    Both Andy and Lorraine really outdoorsy and gave us loads of local knowledge[/url] that totally helped.
    Enjoy.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Austria – with kids’ is closed to new replies.