Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Australian floods…
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The flood area is similar to the size of France and Germany combined.

Surely a case for a 😯

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Surely a strong case for the use of a bullet point or two.

Waderider
    Free Member

Can I be the first to type climate change. Just to promote unscientific ranting you understand.

epicyclo

Waderider – Member
    Can I be the first to type climate change…

Excellent 😆

Actually this is not that uncommon. When I was living in Mt Isa in 1974 we had similar floods. We were isolated by road and rail for 6 weeks and the government was flying in essentials by Hercules. Everything was rationed and ancient bikes were selling for ridiculous amounts (petrol rationing too). The runway was disintegrating towards the end – the RAAF boys did a brilliant job keeping us supplied.

If I remember right, waves were breaking 200 miles inland on the Plains of Promise.

This was followed by some of the best grass for years, so then we got huge bushfires. I flew over one with a front of well over hundred miles.

Queensland is a big place. It currently has more land under water than the whole area of NSW.

Klunk
    Free Member

has Wales been surpassed as the standard unit of disaster measurement ?

IanMunro
    Free Member

In old units it’s nearly 20 Wales!
    Though I have the feeling that floods are affecting an area 20 times the size of Wales, rather than an area 20 times the size of Wales is flooded.
    An important difference but one not so good for news headlines.
    Anyway, whatever the area, it clearly demonstrates that God’s an Ozzie and isn’t happy about the cricket.

iDave
    Free Member

I prefer Belgium as a unit of area

epicyclo

IanMunro – Member
    In old units it’s nearly 20 Wales!
    Though I have the feeling that floods are affecting an area 20 times the size of Wales, rather than an area 20 times the size of Wales is flooded…

It’s more like an inland sea, and I’m pretty sure it will be under water. Be good to see a sat photo though.

At least Lake Eyre will be a lake this year 🙂

Waderider
    Free Member

These events always happen, it’s the frequency than matters. If the 1974 event was what used to be a one in 200 year flood (for example) and this is a similarly sized event it points to either a statistical anomaly or evidence of climate change.

Of course people can argue whatever they want, because you can make stats do whatever you want. Myself, I believe man-made climate change is happening because that is what peer reviewed scientific consensus points too. Research denying climate change is not peer reviewed and often is funded by vested interests. At least, that’s what Professor Bob Kalin, head of the Civil Engineering department at Strathclyde Uni told me, and until I’m better qualified than he is I agree 😉

Hohum
    Free Member

That’s a lot of water!

I saw the local mayor on TV at lunchtime and he reckoned they were on track for the second or third worst flooding event in recorded history.

So, there has been worse before.

CountZero

Research denying climate change is not peer reviewed and often is funded by vested interests. At least, that’s what Professor Bob Kalin, head of the Civil Engineering department at Strathclyde Uni told me,

Civil engineering not climatology?

epicyclo

Waderider – Member
    These events always happen, it’s the frequency than matters. If the 1974 event was what used to be a one in 200 year flood (for example) and this is a similarly sized event it points to either a statistical anomaly or evidence of climate change…

The locals expected something like that every 20 – 30 years. It’s why there’s not much out there, and was not regarded as particularly newsworthy.

chewkw
    Free Member

Look out for salt water Crocodiles …

epicyclo

Actually it’s snakes that are the biggest menace when that happens. They get everywhere and they’re cranky…

fennerhorne
    Free Member

We don’t seem that bothered do we? Is this not a crisis or something? I mean, I know they’re Australian…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

They have more to be worried about right now. Well starting at 11.30pm GMT anyway…

andrewh
    Free Member

I like the old imperal measurements

Width of a human hair
    Size of a small dog
    London bus
    Nelson’s column
    Are the size of Wales

These all make sense in real world.

Don’t understand the modern ‘area the size of New South Wales,’ although I have been there and is a definate improvement on the old one.

epicyclo

andrewh – Member
    I like the old imperal measurements
    …Are the size of Wales

We just need to decimalise them.

Therefore NSW = 1 MegaWales 🙂

teef
    Free Member

What I’m most impressed by is the attitude of the people who have been flooded out. Haven’t heard a word of complaint from people who have lost everything in stark contrast to all the whining from the people of Northern Ireland who have lost the water supply for a few days. You can see where the saying “Whinging Pommes” comes from.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

“Weather is not climate”

I believe thats the standard answer regards freak events, you know, like the coldest winter for decades 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Is it something like 10 years of drought before this shower came along too?

jon1973
    Free Member

Civil engineering not climatology?

You don’t need to be an expert in a specific field to see the flaws in some research.

epicyclo

More to come.

Big problem is now houses in Queensland are being built on the ground. They used to be built on stilts about 10 feet high, but that’s not fashionable now.

A lot of recent building has been on flood plains – justification is “there hasn’t been any flooding here for a long time”.

iDave
    Free Member

You can see where the saying “Whinging Pommes” comes from.

Are you a pom? You seem to enjoy a good whinge about people whinging?

ahwiles
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – Member

Is it something like 10 years of drought before this shower came along too?

yes, it all averages out…

epicyclo

Part of the fun of floods

That’s a brown snake – extremely deadly.

Waderider
    Free Member

Head of Civil Engineering, finger in many pies.

Nice moustache, thank god that is gone.

“It’s weather, not climate”. Right enough. That’s like saying it’s a car, not an molecule. What does the car consist of? What makes the weather? Surely that’s not too big a mental leap?

Junkyard
    Free Member

The difference between weather and climate is a measure of time – weather being a much shorter period of time and climate long ranging. A hot summer- weather – all summers become hotter – climate
    re the whinging perhaps if you listened to Australia news rather then British [ Ok United Kingdom for the pedants 😉 ]news you might see that they the Australian issue gets a bit more coverage there and some peole are complaining.

Admiralable
    Free Member

Can I be the first to type climate change.

And if people didn’t insist on buying these environmentaly unfriendly hybrids that cause more pollution to make than the average Chelsea tractor will ever cause in its lifetime then we wouldn’t be having these problems!!!

epicyclo

Rockhampton from the air.

Notice the older houses near the river are high and dry because they are elevated. Floods like this are nothing new.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Australian floods…’ is closed to new replies.