Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Australia swimmers told to take gun photo off Facebook
  • TuckerUK
    Free Member

BBC News Article

Legally holding legal firearms I gather. And shooting disciplines are part of the Olympics (not with those particular firearms, but there are many national and international competitions that do involve them).

Another case of political correctness over common sense?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Sound like a pair of idiots to me. National level competitors don’t risk their career by posting photos that could cause them issues. I knew an olympic swimmer as a teenager, she did such a stupid amount of training that she was terrified to risk it by doing anything irresponsible. Quite rightly, as a representive and a role model.

donsimon
    Free Member

Other Olympic squad members, Michael Diamond and Russell Mark, have expressed their outrage at the stupidity of being photographed holding guns.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I feel sorry for all the shooting teams then, they’re going to be royally ****!

coffeeking
    Free Member

No, because the shooting teams are unlikely to be stupid enough to be photographed holding non-competition weapons in a way that is provocative. Gun culture is not exactly one to encourage outside competition.

donsimon
    Free Member

No, because the shooting teams are unlikely to be stupid enough to be photographed holding non-competition weapons in a way that is provocative. Gun culture is not exactly one to encourage outside competition.

I’ve also heard that the shooting team has promised not to wear Speedos in a provocative way then post pictures on Facebook.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I wonder why DS cannot see the distinction…he must be trying really hard to avoid the obvious reason

you may agree with it or disagree but working out why is not that hard.

IMHO the aussies can tell their swimmers to do whatever they wish- stupid photo, predictable reaction

donsimon
    Free Member

I wonder why DS cannot see the distinction…he must be trying really hard to avoid the obvious reason

Perhaps I’m taking the p¡ss out of a non-news story that has got more coverage and attention and publicity than it would have if it had been dealt with behind closed doors.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

No, because the shooting teams are unlikely to be stupid enough to be photographed holding non-competition weapons in a way that is provocative.

As I said in my opening post, they could be competition weapons to someone.

Okay, hadn’t actually seen the photo 😳

I take it all back. Guy on the right, no issue, guy on the left, the moron isn’t fit to represent himself, let alone his country.

JEngledow
    Free Member

I don’t really get why it matters. They’ve not done anything illegal and I can’t see how it will affect how fast they swim so why does anyone care?

Fair enough the photo could be taken as promoting a gun culture, but then posing with a fast car could be taken as promoting speeding or posing with a road bike could be taken as promoting Performance-enhancing drugs 🙄

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

And another case of massive over reaction from the self-righteous, offended-on-behalf of others springs up from FaceAche.

Two blokes take the piss in a photo. Put it on Faceache. Hoardes (well, probably only three) are “offended” that it’s “glorifying gun culture, wah, wah, wah” and the papers/press pick it up.

Pathetic.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Tossers who deserve what they got.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

And, right on cue, the Mary Whitehouse of STW appears.

Junkyard
    Free Member

its good to see the Cpt and TJ taking well considered sensible views and not over reacting to this.
    Fair point DS Sorry.

PS DS you can write piss dont worry – i know as I once got banned for swear filter avoidance for replacing the ss in it with 55 but now i know piss is fine to type

vinnyeh

Kind of see the issue in a ‘we must all be seen to be cleaner than clean manner’, but can also see cfh’s point. Trouble with social media, isn’t it. If they’d taken the snap, then just shown it to their mates on the slide projector, then fine, or even if their fb page was private viewing only, ok.

Don’t find the photo offensive, personally, but can see why others may not like it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

CFH – they only got a bollocking which is right for that level of stupidity.

Facebook is public not private ad these tossers are representing their country and are like it or not role models

Posing with guns like that just shows them to be immature tossers who deserve and got a bollocking. end of

Why you are whinging about this is beyond me. Sure if they had been jailed for it it would have been disproportionate. But told to take the photo down and bollocked for it? Proportionate and correct

CFH – most shooters are very concerned that shooting is given the right image not associated with gangsters and gangs

Cougar

Slow news day?

MrOvershoot

TandemJeremy – Member

CFH – they only got a bollocking which is right for that level of stupidity.

CFH – most shooters are very concerned that shooting is given the right image not associated with gangsters and gangs
    As a former target/clay shooter that pretty much sums it up

hooja
    Free Member

It would appear from the second picture, that Russel Brand has let himself go somewhat!

andyl
    Free Member

It would appear from the second picture, that Russel Brand has let himself go somewhat!

😆

coffeeking
    Free Member

And another case of massive over reaction from the self-righteous, offended-on-behalf of others springs up from FaceAche.

Two blokes take the piss in a photo. Put it on Faceache. Hoardes (well, probably only three) are “offended” that it’s “glorifying gun culture, wah, wah, wah” and the papers/press pick it up.

Pathetic.

Brain dead Daily Wail reply. I’m all for allowing people to be offended, like it or not, but they were given a reprimand and asked to remove a photo that (whether or not you’re aware of its affects and the likely influence they have over teens) sends out the wrong message. Apparently you think people should be able to do anything with potentially detrimental effects without thinking about their effect on others as national role models, at least other people have their head screwed on.

<also former target shooter and love guns, fast cars and insulting people, just have a brain and dont have a teenage mental age thinking the world should be free to do everything it pleases>

kayak23

Newspaper vilifies someone on slow news day shocker!

Young people do not stop to consider fully what consequences their little bit of messing about might cause shocker!

Next….

donsimon
    Free Member

On refection I think I have changed my point of view and agree with the fact that using guns in this manner is not appropriate and from this day forth am boycotting Pilgim’s Cheese.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryXcEJHKQWI&feature=relmfu[/video]
    That cat could have died.

monkeychild
    Free Member

OMG! people larking about in a photo shocker!!!!!! Think of the children etc, etc……. Really? I mean really? I can’t believe folk are getting upset over that 😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

OMG! people larking about in a photo shocker!!!!!! Think of the children etc, etc……. Really? I mean really? I can’t believe folk are getting upset over that

It’s this type of over-reaction and that of CaptainPlastique that annoys me more than the actual photo itself.

Wit coffeeking sed etc (but I’m probably more of a hand wringer than he 🙂 )

It’s nothing more than somebody in charge telling two muppets that they’re being muppetsand to grow up a bit.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Ha ha, good work fellas…that’s exactly the sort of bell-ended thing I’d do if I were fondling a weapon. Be rude not to.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The joy of “non-news” items (how is is considered worthy International news?) is that gives Internet bullies another occassion to personally abuse people they know nothing about. Don’t you just love the internet?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Internet bullies

Jeezus.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Chris Hoy has posed with some guns, but nobody told him off:

pe-ow pe-ow

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Another cyclist. This time glorifying both violent fantasist gun culture AND drugs…

😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

😀 😀

konabunny
    Free Member

Another case of political correctness over common sense?

Just for a modicum of context:

1) Australian sport (like all sport) generally is heavily sponsored and relies on guys like these punting sugar-filled processed crap cereals and energy snacks as part of a balanced diet. Don’t know about these guys particularly. Sponsors don’t tend to like this stuff.

2) Sydney experiencing a sustained outbreak of truly inept gun crime largely precipitated by numbnut posers upsetting the bikie gang equilibrium that previously existed

3) Australian swimming particularly sensitive about image after committee-related stitchups over reversed ban of Olympic douchebag swimmer that broke another swimmer’s face: http://www.theage.com.au/national/swimmer-to-face-assault-civil-case-20110625-1gkwn.html

I knew an olympic swimmer as a teenager, she did such a stupid amount of training that she was terrified to risk it by doing anything irresponsible. Quite rightly, as a representive and a role model.

I get what you’re saying but there should be a middle ground between terrifying teenage girls and letting idiots bugger up sponsorship deals.

theflatboy
    Free Member

If you know anything about Nick D’Arcy’s past you’d think he has pretty good reason to keep away from controversy. If you don’t, it’s worth looking up for an interesting read, search for D’Arcy and Cowley from 2008.

edit – hadn’t noticed konabunny has already flagged it up.

konabunny
    Free Member

Ohhh, I hadn’t even realised that that was Nick d’Arcy. He’s an absolute bellend. He is trying to avoid paying damages to the guy whose face he smashed by filing for bankruptcy (has it gone through yet?). This is why the fact he’s even going to London is so contentious:
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/darcy-bankruptcy-muddies-waters-for-olympics-tilt/story-e6frg7mf-1226215583013
    http://www.smh.com.au/national/letters/olympic-selectors-displaying-ethical-bankruptcy-20120506-1y6uw.html

And the other guy is a complete spanner too – he fell off his skateboard and had the cops running around on an attempted murder investigation because he’d told them the driver had deliberately knocked him off his bike: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/more-sports/olympic-hopeful-kenrick-monk-fabricated-story-about-being-knocked-off-his-bike-by-motorist/story-e6frey6i-1226154973239

thegreatape
    Free Member

Am I the only one to have noticed that one of don simon’s guitars is (I think) a toy Guitar Hero one?

-10 cool points for that DS.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Australia swimmers told to take gun photo off Facebook’ is closed to new replies.