Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Australia East Coast Tourist Guide
  • jcromton
    Free Member

Hi,

My girlfriend and I are picking up a camper van from Brisbane on the 24th Dec and dropping it off in Sydney on the 29th Dec. I really want to visit the Blue mountains and we’ll have just spent some time in the Whitsundays and Fraser Island.

What else do we need to do? Mostly I’m trying to come up with a good with of spending Christmas day somewhere near there before heading to the Blue Mountains for a few days before dropping the van back off.

Any help would be much appreciated – she’s getting a bit miffed by how little planning I’ve done 🙁

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Chris

iDave
    Free Member

you have a month to prepare, tell her to behave….

how much planning has she done?

HTH

jcromton
    Free Member

She’s mostly booked everything we’re doing such as all 3 internal flights we’re taking and 2 tours on the Whitsundays and Fraser Island and apartment in Sydney and booking campervan. She’s done a fair bit but I agree with you entirely – there’s loads of time and it’ll be reet.

Just hoping to be able to get a nice idea for a memorable Christmas somewhere nice but don’t know where to start.

Chris

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    NZCol

Mt Warning sunrise on Xmas day with a bottle of champagne, some nice breakfast bits and bobs would be my personal advice/recommendation. Then give the missus an Xmas boff in the bushes on the way down. There’s a campsite at the start of the access rd which has a lovely pool and stuff so you could stay there for some mod cons.

langy
    Free Member

How far do you want to go?

Byron Bay is/was* a cool hippie surfy town – though prob rammed with punters at Xmas. However, home to most easterly point of mainland Aus. Watching the sunrise from up by the lighthouse is, actually, very cool.

Further? Coffs Harbour or Port Macquarie, again both cool seaside towns. These put you more to the half way mark between Syd-Bris. About 7 hours drive.

If you want to hit the blueys for a few days, Coffs or Port Mac are probably the realistic options, unless you are up for a solid day of driving to get to them on boxing day or the day after.

That whole coast is pretty rugged but spectacular (think Home and Away!! 😆 )

*everyone thinks of it like this and as cool, so it’s losing “the vibe” imo unless you go out of season, but having said that, I’d still go!

Regards, Londoner turned Aussie.

epicyclo

Get down the beach at Surfers Paradise – usually something happening at Xmas

wrightyson
    Free Member

My best mate runs a company called independent backpackers, they do a guide with loads of info in and loads of money off vouchers, it does cost you to buy it but saves you on all the trips you have suggested so far and more. Google their name and if your interested I can sort you a couple of guides out probably on the cheap, especially as the lazy fecker is over here “promoting” at the minute.

jcromton
    Free Member

Wow, thanks for the info guys:

NZcol: That sounds like my favourite – is the campsite easy to find?

langy – I was thinking of heading down to the Blue Mountains as we’ve got the van for 6 days, picking up Christmas Eve Morning. I reckon 3-4 hours max drive time.

I did really Christmas on the beach, just to say I have though! Would be keen to get away from the crowds I guess.

epicyclo – cheers – I was thinking of driving through that a bit later, I’m assuming campsites will be 10 a penny in the area?

Wrightyson: Extremely interested in some of the tour your mate offers in the Blue Mountains – something about abseiling.

The mrs. has already booked 2 tours with a holiday company she’s used a few times since being out there, but I need to sort out this part of the trip. How can I get guides on the cheaps?!

Cheers

fubar
    Free Member

I reckon 3-4 hours max drive time.

3 to 4 hours, is that right ? It’s many years since I was there but I remember the drive taking a good few days (but wasn’t in a rush).

Brisbane to Sydney is (I think) about 650 miles (plus Blue Mtns diversion)…approx 60mph (if lucky)…watch-out – we picked up a few parking tickets …

wrightyson
    Free Member

Right jc, spoke to my mate re the discount card/voucher book. He’s s tight fecker so reckons ha can’t really do anything on the price of the card as they’re only $39 each. However he did also say the card probably isn’t worth it unless your gonna use the other stuff which it offers, such as money off food, beer, bus travel, in fact absolutel loads of stuff as ive seen the book itself! Anyhow if you wanna do the trip to the mountains he can also book that up for you. So basically send him an email, address on the site, and tell him you spoke to wrighty up in derby,, you never know he might offer you a decent deal. He’s a top lad and as they say if you don’t ask you don’t get. Hth

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Ahhh – just lost a big post!

Langy speaks wise words. Missus has rellies in Coffs, Newcastle and Sydney and we did a big “mission” in 1999 (after getting married)

Also check out the Hunter wine region and Dorrigo as well as “crazy” Nimbin.

Byron is great for waves – I’m “in” (the barrel) of all but one of these scanned in pics – near the Wreck in 1999.

NZCol

This is the badger here (thanks Google) http://www.mtwarningholidaypark.com/

It had loads of exotic birds and animals for africa, watch the Goannas as they liek to steal food and the little pademelons are like minature kangaroos. Its on the access rd to mt warning so on Xmas morning get up super early and drive up, we ran it from the campsite which in hindsight was a bit much !

EDIT: When i suggested B Bay i did mean to put a disclaimer in. I got there after riding 244km in a day and was a broken man, i found a campsite and basically just lay down, in the early morning some dude in a car almost ran me over ! Once sorted (tent up gear unpacked etc) i went to the beach and was rather quickly given a salt water enema and needed a crochet needle to get my grundies out of my rectum such was the power of the waves. Its great.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

I’d do a short detour North and visit The sunshine Coast. Loved Noosa Heads Maloolaba and Maroochydoore.

Alternatively you could spend 4 days in Surfer’s and blow it all on the pokies!! Gold Coast avoid IMO – It’s a tacky dump.

Also really liked the Glasshouse mountains, Byron and Lennox Head which had an unusual teatree lake!!

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Fraser is great But camp and hire a 4X4 on the island much more fun than an organised group!!

BillMC

Disagree. Do go on an organised tour of Fraser, there’s too many opportunities for you to make a right fool of yourself in that sand plus the drivers are well informed about the flora and fauna and it’s much cheaper. I love Byron Bay, spent the last few summers there, maybe next summer too. Nice surfing, good pubs and live music, nice locals, ace food. Don’t rush these places, I’ve seen kids shoot through after a day or two and they really have no appreciation or understanding of where they’ve been. Surfers is kin dreadful.

TimT
    Free Member

I’ve travelled up & down the north coast of NSW many times, but not for some years so my memory is a little rusty. It depends what you’re into, but for me camping in National Parks along the coast is wonderful. You’ll be able to do that in a campervan. For that time of year you’ll need to book (school hol’s, lots of families out there!):
    I particularly like Station Creek near Coffs Harbour. About half way between Brisbane and Sydney. Enjoy!
    http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/NationalParks/parkCamping.aspx?id=N0040#StationCreekcampground
    You’ll need to check which campgrounds are OK to drive in – some are park-and-walk-in-with-your-tent set ups. http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/nationalparks/default.aspx

jcromton
    Free Member

Guys, thank you so much for this info, it’s been a life saver planning this short roadtrip, departing very soon.

All the best

Chris

Mackem

Coffs Harbour, Woy Woy, Newcastle(spit), Coolangatta/Tweeds head all good. Not a fan of Byron Bay, but pleny of others do.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Did that useless mate of mine help you out?? Reckoned he’d had an email from you but I know he’s been busy since being over here.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Did that useless mate of mine help you out?? Reckoned he’d had an email from you but I know he’s been busy since being over here.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Australia East Coast Tourist Guide’ is closed to new replies.