Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Australia advice update!
  • Wheelie-good
    Free Member

Hi, just thought after all the helpfull advice I recieved I would post an update (though i doubt anyone is really that interested but what the hell!)

I went to Adelaide for a few weeks to see what it was like there, and I loved it! I already have my visa and my flight booked to go back there in early october!

Met some lovely people and I was almost shocked to have people crying out for me to hurry up and get back so I can start working for them!

Exciting times ahead for me, I hope, even though it’s a long way from home and family, I have a good man there waiting for me to go and start a new chapter of my life with and I can’t wait!

YAAAAY!!!!! 😀

mikey74
    Free Member

Good work. What do you do? I’m an architectural technician and been wanting to move to Canada for years. Unfortunately, getting a job is practically impossible.

My alternative choice would be Australia. What’s the job market for over-30 professional types?

chewkw
    Free Member

So they only welcome the Sheila? 😆

Wheelie-good
    Free Member

I’m an antique restorer/cabinet maker/upholsterer, so far just a work holiday visa but it’s a start and gives me a chance to see how things go a bit more long term out there.

I don’t know what it’s like for other jobs out there but, unlike here people seem to want to pay to have their furniture fixed! Also I’m not sure if this is just an Adelaide thing, though if you get the chance go there it’s beautiful, so green and full of wildlife even in the city, and it has a lovey laid back vibe, went to an aussie rules football game people and their kids having a great time, everyone getting on even though they were supporting opposite teams, not the Australia i was expecting!

Ok so a few of the blokes were piss takers but thats normal where ever you go 🙂

mikey74
    Free Member

Ahhh cool. Well good luck, I hope it all works out.

Wheelie-good
    Free Member

Thanks mikey, if Canada is where you want to be just go for it I say, or you will just spend the rest of your life wondering what could have been!

Or maybe like me go for a holiday see what it’s like first if you can, it might just be the best thing you ever do!

WildHunter2009

Mikey74: I’m not sure about the rest of Australia but in Perth I think architecture is pretty tough. My gf is an architecture graduate and knows a lot of people who really struggled/still struggling to get work and there have been redundancies as well.

If you have CAD skills etc sod the architecture and try and get into a resource related civil engineering firm.

Dave

zokes
    Free Member

Great news 🙂

Just make sure you pick the right Aussie rules team to barrack for!

Sounds like we’ll have to set up an AdelaideTrackWorld at this rate….

Mackem

I still regret turning down a contract with Hardies wines in Adelaide. What was I thinking?

zokes
    Free Member

That there are many many better wines in SA? 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Australia advice update!’ is closed to new replies.