Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • August Bank Holiday!
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

Every year in my memory as far back as the 1970’s, the media has been running pre-ABH weekend warnings about traffic and transport clogups and how travelling anywhere is going to be miserable bloody hell.

And yet every year millions of people ignore the advice and commit themselves to the experience of enduring a miserable bloody hell.

A definition of insanity is repeating the same action but expecting a different result.

That’s the problem with democracy, know what I mean? 😆

martinhutch

Worked in my favour yesterday driving out of Leeds at 5pm. Presumably everyone was in meltdown trying to get out early or just not bothering at all, because the roads were reasonably clear.

Still not bothering with the M5, mind you.

binners

Could be worse. You could be trying to catch a train somewhere. By the sound of it the entire rail network is at a standstill. And are there 4 more depressing words, guaranteed to suck the life out of you than ‘rail replacement bus service’?

Personally the only vehicle I’m planning on using this weekend is my bike. Yay! 😀

Edit: Actually, I’ve just remembered I’ll actually be walking down into the village tomorrow and hopping on this…

Which by the sound of it will be the only train in the country actually running

Drac

I don’t adventure out on bank holidays unless it’s for some good reason, I’m dropping the family off the train soon as they’re off to buy school uniforms.

winston
    Free Member

I’m working but my wife has just driven to Dorset from Brighton with no issues. Roads were pretty clear she said with a bit of traffic in the New Forest

Obviously she set off at 7.30 am like any sensible individual would….

RustySpanner

Glaston-Bury innit?

yossarian
    Free Member

Got the kids today so much chilling and playing COD : WW2 beta and Skyrim.

Tomorrow and Sunday are big days out in the saddle. Got a couple of different 50 milers planned. The weather is set fair and I cannot bloody wait to get out there!

ton

hate bank holidays, always have.
    i want time off when i decide, not because of some old archaic law.

however, today is ok, Wigan v Hull at wembley to watch now, the England v New Zealand in the womens rugby final tonight.

so a silver lining to a dark cloud for me.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

So far: FlyUp 417, flying Scotsman at Didcot. Tonight balloons at Cholsey. Tomorrow Spa F1 and bike riding. Monday more riding.
    Win

revs1972
    Free Member

Came back to Torquay from Bristol down the M5 which was flowing all the way (around midday), the Northbound side appeared to be crawling pretty much from Gordano all the way back down past Cullompton though .
    The wife decided we were having chippy chips for tea and the queue of grockles was out the door and up the road !!
    At least we can walk to the beach from here

pondo

Weekend at home for the first time in ten years – music, telly and beer FTW. Next up – half-cut apple picking! 🙂

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Yay!!!!
    Spitfire over Didcot!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

hate bank holidays, always have.
    i want time off when i decide, not because of some old archaic law.

If I gave you £20, would you complain you wanted two tenners instead? 🙂

iainc

Meanwhile, here in Scotland….

molgrips
    Free Member

A definition of insanity is repeating the same action but expecting a different result.

I don’t think people are expecting it not to be busy. They are just prepared to put up with it to get where they want to be. You may not be, but some clearly are.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

They are just prepared to put up with it to get where they want to be. You may not be, but some clearly are.

Well, I wouldn’t be, but I actually live where some of these sardines are trying to get to, so I don’t…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ahh, well….. last night between 4pm and 7pm the M27 going East (like yah, East!) was absolutely rammed and a standstill… 3 lanes nose to tail for 8miles…
    Kwazy people, but then.. I heard… the Victorious Festival is on in Southsea.. and it all be came clear….

But oddly nothing much going West.. ok, I didn’t see the “probable” hell that is the ‘M27/M3 all along to the Bournemouth turn off, and beyond along the A31 to Exeter.. but I can imagine the tortured souls screaming..

Cougar

And are there 4 more depressing words, guaranteed to suck the life out of you than ‘rail replacement bus service’?

I went into Manchester to do the 10K run shortly after the Ariana Grande bombing. Obviously Victoria was shut, so it was a replacement bus service. I thought “oh no, here we go” but it couldn’t have been slicker, massive credit to Greater Manchester, everything ran perfectly. The busses were scrolling “WE <3 MANCHESTER” on the matrix boards on their sides, there was a fantastic feeling of community that day.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘August Bank Holiday!’ is closed to new replies.