Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Audiophiles – best replacement for a Dual CS 505-4 turntable?
  • Atomizer

Is there anything equivalent these days?
    Mine’s 25 years old and playing up a bit (though could be the old amp) and I fancy something new but similar inflation adjusted price bracket – not cheap but not stupid expensive?

Cheers

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Debut’s always seem to be well regarded, around 250 plus the cost of a cartridge

CountZero

Well, once up one a time, the default reply would be a Rega Planar, but they ain’t cheap anymore, somewhere around £8-900.
    These seem to be the current turntable of choice: http://www.whathifi.com/review/pro-ject-debut-carbon
    Probably about the best up to £500.
    The TDK and Edwards decks look interesting, too:
    http://www.whathifi.com/reviews/hi-fi/turntables

Atomizer

Thanks – Rega and Project are ones I’d found – not heard of the Edwards but worth checking it.

badfink
    Free Member

A 2nd hand Technics 1210 is a great option. Around 200 to 250 depending on condition, and a huge amount of potential upgrades. Many vinyl addicts have dumped megabucks beltdrive TTs for a souped-up Technics.

Best of all, they’re built to last and sound great even without fancy cartridges, arm upgrades or external psu upgrades.

RichPenny
    Free Member

cheapest rega is about £250 these days. And still awesome 🙂

Hadge
    Free Member

Why new when you can easily pick up a superb second-hand Rega Planar 3 with RB300 arm for round £300. Brilliant tt and produce a very good sound.

Atomizer

And there’s quite a few RP3s on ebay now. Too much choice!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

A technics sp10 would be better than a 1210.

ourmaninthenorth

Er, I went from just one of those to, er, um, an LP12.

(Belongs to a friend – on long term loan. Embarrasingly not unpacked yet from moving house 18+ months ago…. 😳 )

leenightingale
    Free Member

just got a gyrodec up and running…stunning to look at….stunning to listen to 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Audiophiles – best replacement for a Dual CS 505-4 turntable?’ is closed to new replies.