Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Audiophiles….
  • slowjo
    Free Member

I am after a mid range amp and have narrowed it down to a Marantz PM6003 and a Yamaha AS500. Cambridge Audio 650A seemed to have an imbalance between the left and right channels – a bit of research suggests this is a common issue.

So between these two, assuming a pair of Mission 771e. Does anyone have any opinions on the two? The Yamaha seems a bit brighter and the Marantz somewhat warmer and more powerful in the lower ranges without being overwhelming. I have played a wide range of music through both (in a “listening room” at the shop, using my own music/iPod) and the only negative comment I can thing of is that on tracks where there is a lot going on in the mid range the sound can seem a little “mushy”.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Try before you buy, it’s the only way. One man’s ‘warmth’ is another man’s ‘fluffy’.

EDIT what format are your iPod songs?

slowjo
    Free Member

I did (see the last sentence) 🙂

I just wondered whether there was anything else good or bad anyone had experienced. Maybe I should have made myself clearer 🙂

To be fair the gist behind your comment mirrors what the chap at the shop said.

EDIT: MP3. I haven’t got them lossless though I will be experimenting. I have a 160GB iPod so there should be plenty of room!

saladdodger
    Free Member

If yer feet tap when you listen to your music it’s right

yunki
    Free Member

yamahas are often thought to be precise and analytical to the point of being too clinical..

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I kind of (read: completely) skimmed your post when I saw what you were asking, so it’s entirely my fault that I failed to spot that you’d already listened to “a wide range of music through both”; sorry.

Still, and to add to my edit, unless you’re assured of the quality of your downlaods, I’d be inclined to go back with CDs or of some carefully selected songs, preferably ones that you know quite well. MP3 quality tends to be mediocre at best, and I’d want to know that any problems in playback aren’t limitations of the format/download, rather than of the media.

After that, it still comes back to my first post. Just get as long as you can in the listening room. If you can’t discern between the two, it probably doesn’t matter if somebody else says they can.

audiophile
    Free Member

Can you take the rest of your setup to the listening room? Only way to be sure as the front end and speakers will have a massive effect on the sound. IMO Nad amps are the best I’ve had.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Not thinking about a NAD then, if on a budget – they always seem to be good for the money.

Also look out for Creek, there amps are also very musical and not too expensive.

Doesn’t sound like either of those amps are too great for you. Of the two names I would have thought the marantz should be better.

Also be aware that the acoustics in the shop are likely to be different from home, so something that sounds nice in the shop might not at home – so get a cooling off period or home demo.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Can you take the rest of your setup to the listening room? Only way to be sure as the front end and speakers will have a massive effect on the sound. IMO Nad amps are the best I’ve had.

I think you get a lot with a NAD – I would def. try and track one down.

The room has a lot more effect on the sound than your front end – I lugged my setup to a shop one (pre and power, speaker, cd, dac) and although it makes a little difference it is nothing like the room.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I don’t claim to be an audiophile. I’m not, but I know what I like. And that’s just it. What I like is probably not what you like. Try them out and decide what you like best.

I run a Michel turntable through a Yamaha amp (not the radio amp things but a proper one) and Tannoy speakers on stands which are filled with sand.

I love it. But then others won’t. It’s too personal really. Listen to a few and forget the names, just listen….

cynic-al
    Free Member

As above take in your speakers and source to see how well each images and resolves detail.
    How much are the amps? Have you got decent supports and speaker stands?

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Yep!

Best thing for my speakers was buying stands and filling them with sand. That made a huge difference.

Oh! and sorry for stealing your sand from your sandpit oldest son but it was worth it. For me anyway lol.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

but make sure that the dem room has the same dimensions and furnishings as your room, including carpeting and windows, or it will be a waste of time taking your stuff in.

For example, if you have rugs on a wooden floor, a bookshelf to the left of one of your speakers and some other heavy furnishing to the right of the other, these will all be absorbing first relections. If the dem room isn’t similairly absorbant you wil lend up going for the amp that will sound horribly dull when you get it home.

And that’s not even mentioning the room modes and where you position your speakers.

Get a home demo or cooling off period – or buy 2nd hand on ebay becuase you can sell again at not much loss.

joolsburger
    Free Member

If it were me I’d try a Rega Brio, no remote I’m afraid but a nice little amp.

GJP
    Free Member

If buying new then I would also take a listen to the Rega Brio as joolsburger suggests. I would also look at taking a punt on a s/h amp. £250 should buy you a nice Cyrus, a Nait 3 etc etc.

sockpuppet

not judging, or opening cans of anything.

it just makes me chuckle, is all.

xkcd.com

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Audiophiles….’ is closed to new replies.