• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by dobo.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Audio visual questions (confused bimbo content)
  • cinnamon_girl

Help please 😳

I have a HDMI tv, used in conjunction with a Freesat box. I also have a video cassette recorder/dvd player.

Occasionally I use BBC i-player but really prefer not to watch anything on the PC screen.

So … am thinking about a dvd recorder with hard drive. And then there’s blu-ray so would I be better off with that? Am keen on being able to record via Freesat, watching one whilst recording another.

And then there’s i-player becoming available on Freesat, apparently.

Frankly, I’m confused so would appreciate some sensible advice.

As always, thank you so much. 🙂

kimbers

i think you want one of these

http://www.johnlewis.com/230913445/Product.aspx

and probably just buy an upscaling dvd player
    like this
    blu ray is good but this is nearly as good and dvds are cheaper than blu ray
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9368530.htm?CMPID=GS001&_$ja=tsid:11527|cc:|prd:9368530|cat:home+entertainment+and+sat+nav+%2F+dvd%2C+blu+ray+and+video+%2F+dvd+players+%2F

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Crikey, there’s a few ways to do what you want to do. What’s the most important thing to you; simplicity, budget, fewest boxes?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

kimbers: isn’t that PVR a freesat one? i.e it needs a satellite dish.

morgs
    Free Member

I’d recommend heading down to your local Richer Sounds. Quality customer service, very cheap and really nice people.

Only downside is that they get busy and you can wait to be served, but when you are being seen to (so to speak) you will have their undivided attention.

kimbers

hink cg says shes got a freesat box rather than freeview

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

My error, so she does.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Just junk the lot and get Virgin cable. The Internet speed blows everyone else away, the V+ box renders scheduled TV obsolete and you get iplayer and god knows what else all on the same system. I’ll bet you’re already paying nearly as much for Internet and phone as a basic Virgin package……

3 tuners as well, so you can watch one and record two at the same time. Or record 3 altogether and watch something you have recorded. We tried Sky. It’s not as good IMO, too many recording clashes and the internet is crap, and we don’t watch much tv

🙂

5lab

my sony tv does iplayer via freesat (which I don’t have so its a bit irrelivent). a ps3 (which are now down to about £160 new) does iplayer, bluray and a world of other fun, but its ott if you don’t want it

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for such quick replies. 🙂

As regards what’s important, well, the clue is in the thread title! Seriously though, only dvd’s I have are music ones which I would love to be able to play through the hifi speakers.

The Freesat box is Humax, obviously an HD one.

Technology is moving so quickly hence asking about blu-ray.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

MIght as well get a PS3 slim to play the blurays\CDs on.

CaptJon
    Free Member

You can get iplayer through some blurays. I was delighted to discover this function on my Samsung thingamy, it also does lovefilm too!

cinnamon_girl

Pete – I’m tied into a phone/bb deal for a year. I’ve only got the Freesat as my last house couldn’t receive a signal. Surely the Virgin package costs as much as Sky?

glenh
    Free Member

PS3 makes a great PVR with the addition on the PlayTV tuner.

Also plays blue ray + DVD of course, and streams iplayer, 4OD, itv player, various streaming movie services and Makes a good media server for photos and music too.

ie it does just about everything 🙂

dobo
    Free Member

im really impressed with the sony range of media players bdps370 which play back bluray/super audio cd/dvd and has decent built in iplayer along with other serives like lovefilm. also has built in dlna on some models
    i dont bother recording stuff these days, i just stream things when i want to
    i guess you could also get some freesat recorder aswell if you really need it

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Audio visual questions (confused bimbo content)’ is closed to new replies.