Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • audio experts – large budget for interconnects
  • yunki
    Free Member

Hi STW audiophiles..

I’ve always been a great believer in making sure that all of the three components of the hi-fi equation are balanced when speccing a system..

software, hardware and connections..

A close friend in the industry helped me out when I was first starting out in trying to attain hi-fi excellence and he always recommended upgrading speaker cables and interconnects first and foremost.. even when I was picking up cheap 80s jap hardware from the local tip..

This early grounding really demonstrated the fundamental truth of the philosophy..

With this is mind I was wandering if anyone has any experience of these interconnects as I’m looking to upgrade again at the moment..

thanks

nickf
    Free Member

To be honest, they’re only good in the 2m length. Anthing less is just messing about.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

😯

Woody
    Free Member

😯 and 😯 too – that is serious kit at an even more serious price 😯

yunki
    Free Member

😯 indeeed..

I was thinking of getting one for my nans ipod too

5lab

that cable isn’t even that expensive in the grand scheme of things (ie there are plenty out there that cost more), but congratulations on finding the most expensive cable in that shop.

bigyinn
    Free Member

^^^^ +1

joolsburger
    Free Member

Meh I’d recommend these instead http://www.highendcable.co.uk/Nordost%20VALHALLA%20interconnect.htm

Anything less is just playing at it. You get a four day burn in for free which means the cables are used when you get them and all the metal crystals are aligned and bonded or something.

yunki
    Free Member

but congratulations on finding the most expensive cable in that shop.

thanks.. that really means a lot, I couldn’t have done it without the help of my friends, my agent – Alan, everybody I ride with, everybody that I’ve worked with over the years, my precious family of course, mum, dad, my partner and of course my wonderful son, who inspired this whole crazy thing.. and I mustn’t forget you, the audience, who made it all possible..

5lab

Anything less is just playing at it. You get a four day burn in for free which means the cables are used when you get them and all the metal crystals are aligned and bonded or something.

nah stop messing around and get some odins

http://www.highendcable.co.uk/Nordost%20ODIN%20interconnect.htm

then you can get some matching power cables

http://www.highendcable.co.uk/Nordost%20ODIN%20Power%20Cords.htm

for 20 grand

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The fact that my system is mostly NAIM, takes me out of this “silly money” cable argument, I’m afraid, Mr Troll.

You’ll need to make sure they’re the right way round, though…

yunki
    Free Member

that nordorst stuff – holy mother of moses..

I use Van den Huls budget stuff mostly.. cos most of what I wrote is true..

although I may have slightly made up the bit about needing to upgrade, I’ve listened to some pretty fancy cabling back to back on a (warm and luxurious, none of this naim tosh) reference system and it really does make a difference..

not as much difference as an eigth of skunk, a line of MDMA and a couple of bottles of good red though..

Cougar

For that sort of money, I’d expect the owner of the company to come round and personally carry the data bits from source to amp.

chiefgrooveguru

Extreme cable poncing about suggests either poor design and a lack of impedance matching between input and output stages or psychological placebo effects. Interesting to note the vast disparity between the lack of scientific papers on interconnects and the excess of marketing material on them…

5lab

For that sort of money, I’d expect the owner of the company to come round and personally carry the data bits from source to amp

for that sort of money I’d hope the owner of the company would understand the difference between digital and analogue 😉

MrWoppit
    Free Member

warm and luxurious

Hmmm. I wonder what that means. (Just waiting for Fred to rock up so the thread can really build up a good head of steam…)

yunki
    Free Member

and I’m off out for a days riding in 10 minutes.. I’m going to miss all the fun..

Don’t get sucked in Woppit.. you’re better than that

8)

mudshark
    Free Member

warm and luxurious, none of this naim tosh

So Naim’s cold and, er budget?

aracer
    Free Member

for that sort of money I’d hope the owner of the company would understand the difference between digital and analogue

Yeah, but they do digital as well – I mean you wouldn’t want your sound quality ruined by some of your bits getting lost.
    http://www.highendcable.co.uk/Nordost%20ODIN%20Digital%20interconnect.htm

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Yeah, but they do digital as well – I mean you wouldn’t want your sound quality ruined by some of your bits getting lost.

there are some issues with digital cables actually, and it is mostly in the plugs.

for digital you should look at apogee wide eye cables:

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/cables.php

MrWoppit
    Free Member

mudshark – Member

warm and luxurious, none of this naim tosh

So Naim’s cold and, er budget?

I don’t know what “warm and luxurious” is supposed to mean.

I don’t know what you mean by “cold”.

Their cables are certainly “budget” compared with this overpriced attempt to make silk purses out of sow’s ears.

“Nordost” – feh.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

To be honest, a £100 interconnect would ‘sound’ no different to one for crazy money like you have shown.
    To spend that kind of money, you must have a yacht in Monaco lapping the waves and anyone who can justify that sort of money on a poxy cable needs help.
    The most expensive interconnect I have is about £75 and although everyone has different abilities in hearing, the only real differnce you would hear from anything above that is probably not audible to the human ear.
    I am sure there is some Trollage attached to this thread.

mudshark
    Free Member

Neither do I. I did hear a valve amp that felt warm though….

MrWoppit
    Free Member

😆

5lab

thing is, if you spend £10,000 on a cable (or whatever), and you think it makes a difference, isn’t that money well spent (regardless of if the difference exists)? same could be argued about ti vs aluminium frames..

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

same could be argued about ti vs aluminium frames..

No.

Perhaps arguing the toss over a £400 alu frame and a £20k ti frame…

johnners
    Free Member

Don’t get sucked in Woppit.. you’re better than that

As it transpires he’s not.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Just waiting for Fred to rock up so the thread can really build up a good head of steam…

Coo-ee!

For that sort of money, I’d expect the owner of the company to come round and personally carry the data bits from source to amp.

In a little bayg? 😆

Course the irony is that it’s generally only children and young adults who actually can hear any difference at all between cables beyond thin wire, as our hearing deteriorates with age. Women tend to possess better hearing than men. Yet ‘Hi-fi’ is bought mainly by middle aged men…

grum
    Free Member

although I may have slightly made up the bit about needing to upgrade, I’ve listened to some pretty fancy cabling back to back on a (warm and luxurious, none of this naim tosh) reference system and it really does make a difference..

Double blind test obviously….

Seriously though, WTF is ‘holographic imaging’ in this context?

Platinum Eclipse is the cable for perfectionists with elite reference standard audio systems. Supremely transparent, with breathtaking dynamics and holographic imaging

Also, whatever you might think about the audio cables, these claims about the power cables are extraordinary.

Let Odin feed your system and get ready for improved noise floor and resolution, increased transparency, dynamic range and freedom from grain, more believable sound staging, more natural life and musical dynamics, a breathtaking range of tonal colours. Suddenly the music will step away from the system producing it, taking on a life of its own, becoming a real performance – all because the power on which your system depends is cleaner and arriving quicker.

From a power cable!????

sam_underhill

Just make sure you plug them in the right way round 😉

Cougar

Women tend to possess better hearing than men.

Men can hear just as well as women, we just choose not to. (-:

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Eh? Pardon?

brassneck

Do those power cables have a little hologram sticker on them?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Cougar – Member

Women tend to possess better hearing than men.

Excellent strategy when dealing with Fred’s posts… 😉

IanMunro
    Free Member

Beat me too it brassneck, I was just about to post about the “holographic imaging” and ponder if they use powerband technology.

5lab

i actually googled a group test of power cables, and it turned out some of the manufacturers (in the ‘cheap’ $500 range) didn’t even have the right pins in the plug going to the right pins on the connector at the other end!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

agree – if auditioning something I will make the wife accompany me and make comment as she has no preconceived ideas about which piece of gear is going to sound better and tends to listen to ‘the big picture’ whereas a guy might get transfixed on the bass, or treble and not notice that a change actually makes the system sound less realistic.

I had some spendor SP1s which were a little too big for the room and sounded a little sluggish because of it, and the wife didn’t like their looks either.

then one day, after having listened to them for a while, the wife asked me if they would sound any better if we rearranged the room, as she found the realism of the reproduction compelling.

I then had some Harbeth M30s which were a little smaller and which I preferred (the BBC still use them as monitors in places), but they didn’t find that same favour with the wife .

that’s just inexperience talking – have you never played around with a multiband equaliser and noticed what difference you can make to the sound ? A little bit more bass and the system sounds much warmer.

luxurious is pretty much a factor of the quality of the midrange – people lust after the older (15ohm) version of the LS3/5a because they sound luxurious, not realising that the drivers in these units are prone to drifting their response and forming 1db or more of a peak at around 1khz. The older LS3/5as have drifted more and so sound even smoother and ‘luxurious’ – and the glue around the dust caps of those older speakers turns white with age, so they get even more money – check out the completed auctions of ebay recently…

The 60th anniversary version of the rogers ls3/5a engineered this peak into the crossover to mimic the sound of the ‘out-of-spec’ old speakers.

beanieripper
    Free Member

unless your speakers are worth 10k plus it’s a waste of time…i am a cable believer but not a mug… the differences made are marginal at best.. save up for even better speakers..

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

save up for even better speakers..

why not save up for a better amplifier?

why a 10k budget – there are some pretty fantastic, monitor class, speakers for way less than this – Harbeth SHL5, Spendor SP1/2.

IanMunro
    Free Member

thing is, if you spend £10,000 on a cable (or whatever), and you think it makes a difference, isn’t that money well spent (regardless of if the difference exists)? same could be argued about ti vs aluminium frames.

Well it’s definitely money spent, whether it’s well spent is a different matter. Were one’s imagination let loose on the possible ways of getting rid of 10K, I’m sure some more joyous pleasures could be found in both cases.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘audio experts – large budget for interconnects’ is closed to new replies.