Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Audio buffs – what's your system?
  • dannybgoode

Me, I have a Muscial Fidelity A3.2 amp, Rega Planer 3 turntable, Rega Saturn CD player and Rega RS5 speakers.

Sounds bloody marvellous. Doesn’t have proper gut rumbling bass but goes deep enough and is beautifully balanced across the range and oh so musical.

Not met a person yet who doesn’t end up with an involuntary foot tap going on.

Cheers

Danny B

nicko74

Arcam Solo, Kef Q1s, Squeezebox Duet. It’s simple and a bit of a compromise – the OH won’t let me have a full system – but it’s got great detail and doesn’t take up too much space. The only thing it lacks is a digital line between the Duet and the Solo, as the Solo doesn’t have a digital in 🙁

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Audiolab 8000 per and power amps, pre Tag
    Rotel 965BX limited Edition Discrete CD player
    AVI red spot “Biggatron” speakers.

OP, nice Rega stuff, I miss my Brio amp and Planar 3

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

‘puter > Airport > Benchmark DAC1 > ATC SCM50ASL

allthegear
    Free Member

Linn Classik
    Linn LK280 Power Amp
    Linn Kan speakers

most of the music comes from an Apple TV via a better DAC, the name of which escapes me right now.

Rachel

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

Musical fidelity x-t100
    Mac mini
    Dac

chiefgrooveguru

My hi-fi system is cheap and ancient and I’ve yet to find the time to finish designing my prototype first hi-fi speaker models, been too busy with pro-audio R&D. Got some nice components for them so just need to do a whole lot of measurements and start getting some test enclosures and crossovers together.

Out of interest, what’s the split of passive vs active speakers here?

paulevans
    Free Member

Going to be setting up a mono-blocked system comprising two Air Tight power valve amps to a single Air Tight pre-amp. Then just got to have a think about what medium to play music through/via. Any ideas?

dannybgoode

@pv – decent vinyl front end every day of the week.

@cgg – my father in law was apparently a wizard speaker maker but unfortunately he died before I ever met Mrs Danny. Apparently he was called upon by Jon Bon Jovi to re-wind his guitar amp speakers before a gig (he was very well known in the music scene as a)~ a guitarist and b) a speaker wizard).

Would loved to have learned some stuff from him…

Cheers

Danny B

dannybgoode

See this wikepedia link for Dave Berry and the Cruisers. Roy Barber – Rhythm Guitar is the FIL.

Wiki link

And Frank White who is mentioned as part of the second backing group played the main set at our wedding – anyone in the Sheffield area who sees his name – get down and see him. Proper 60’s musician. Quite often plays the Riverside…

Cheers

Danny B

speckledbob
    Free Member

Naim nait 3 and cd 3. I’ve been messing about a bit with a computer lately linked by USB to a Cambrige audio Dac then to my amp. The computer has an external power supply of only about 90w. It has a ssd type harddrive and all that shit which is good for audio. Playing Flac my CD player pisses all over it.

I do some work for Sugden Audio so was thinking about something from them soon. If I can get some kind of discount. 😉

JCL
    Free Member

Technics 1200’s, DJM600, Dynaudio BM5A’s and BM9S, Mac Mini, Roland M1000.

Flac via the Mini is better overall than any of the insanely expensive passive Hi-Fi crap I’ve owned.

dannybgoode

@JCL – you haven’t owned expensive enough hi-fi in that case :)!

Cheers

Danny B

joolsburger
    Free Member

Clearaudio Champion Ltd AT33 > NVA Phono 2 > Exposure Integrated > MK1 Audio Physic Sparks, for digital computer into hifi via HK bluetooth.

dannybgoode

Ooo NVA – I have NVA speaker cables – veery nice they are.

Cheers

Danny B

allthegear
    Free Member

speckledbob – I *think* your CD3 uses delta-sigma conversion for the internal DAC (like my Linn) which probably means it sounds a lot better than the DAC in the Cambridge Audio DAC.

JCL
    Free Member

@JCL – you haven’t owned expensive enough hi-fi in that case :)!

Karan amps, Brinkmann TT and Avalon Eidolon’s?

It’s all just tweaked frequency response. The room/speaker interaction is the largest factor. A pair of cheap actives in a treated room will destroy any Hi-Fi in the average living room. I used to work in the industry, it’s a load of BS.

howarthp

SME 10, SME IV, Lyra Helikon, EAR 834P, MF Nu-Vista M3, Linn Akurate DS, Vienna Acoustics Beethoven speakers for the main system. Naim Unitiqute and Guru speakers for bedroom.

BigJohn

Dansette.

Beggars Banquet was mixed to sound good on it. What more do you need? Has anything improved on it?

dannybgoode

@JCL – what speakers are you running through in that case?

Cheers

Danny B

mikertroid
    Free Member

Cyrus DAD3. Cyrus CD3i (I think)

Monitor Audio PMC 703 floor standers

Banished to the shed for the last three years as wife detests them 😥

SBrock
    Free Member

Synology DS212j, Rega DAC, Rega Brio R, Rega RP6/Exact & Rega RS3 speakers – sounds ace especially vinyl

zokes
    Free Member

Linn Basik turntable with pro-ject carbon arm and Linn adikt MM cartridge
    Musical fidelity phono stage
    Naim Uniti 2 integrated CD, Tuner, iRadio and 192/24 streamer
    Mac mini serving >1 TB flac files
    Castle Eden speakers

The Naim, whilst eye wateringly expensive is also amazingly good. It’s totally transformed the system, and I now get deeper, tighter bass just with the castles than I used to with my old Arcam Alpha 3 and a Yamaha sub to help it out!

oldboy
    Free Member

oldboy
    Free Member

ATC SCM50ASL Active Towers
    Benchmark HDR DAC/Pre
    Squeezebox Touch
    Music streamed as FLAC

Albanach
    Free Member

Slight hijack but I’m looking for some decent good value wall speakers (white in colour) for the house. Was looking at Audica Micropoint as a mate has them…anyone got any other recommendations.

lodious
    Free Member

PC > Lavry DA11 > ATC SMC20 Active Towers.

Great to see some other ATC users;-)

stumpy01

Pretty low end, but never got round to upgrading as I don’t listen to music as much as I used to…

NAD 3020i amp – will be 20yrs old next yr!
    Luxman d322 CD player
    TDL RTLII MK2 floorstanders

Since moving house though the speakers are on a wooden floor and it doesn’t sound particularly balanced.
    Tempted to swap the floorstanders for some Monitor Audio bx2s and get a NAS drive and streaming player at some point.

allthegear
    Free Member

I had a 3020i and it was brilliant!

Actually, I think my brother still uses it with the Castle speakers I gave him

Rachel

martinhutch

25-year-old Musical Fidelity B200.
    25-year-old Denon DCD-1500 CD player
    Couple of titchy Mission speakers (not sure about vintage).

MrSmith
    Free Member

A naim 92/90 that’s getting a bit old now. Rega 3 with sumiko blue point special, a pair of Leema Xero’s which I love and a cheap beresford dac.
    After I move I might recap the pre-power or get one of those uniti-Q all in ones from Naim. Don’t know what to do about TT though it’s going to need a new cart soon.

_tom_
    Free Member

Edirol ua25ex interface > mackie mr5 monitors. Sounds great to me. May eventually get a sub for proper low end but dont need it.

vorlich
    Free Member

Synology NAS > Sonos ZP90 > Avi ADM9RS Actives with Scanspeak tweeter upgrade

chiefinspector
    Free Member

Bang & olufson upgrade on my A4. Sounds incredible when playing loud.

chiefgrooveguru

I probably shouldn’t post this here because being shown superior kit for reasonable(-ish) money is the last thing audiophiles need, but Siegfried Linkwitz (of Linkwitz-Riley crossover and Linkwitz transform fame) has some really really really good DIY designs, and a website which is extremely educational (though it does get pretty deep). Well worth a read:

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Squeezebox touch, Netgear Readynas streaming flac, Audiolab Mdac, Audiolab 8000a pre-TAG, B&W P4, REL Strata sub, Logic Tempo TT with Ortofon MC10 Super cartridge. A lot of it 20 odd years old but still sounding good. Might upgrade the TT but not sure yet.

doof_doof
    Free Member

Laptop

Audiolab MDAC

ATC SCM50ASL

ATC C4 sub

A lot of ATC love on this thread 😉

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

A lot of ATC love on this thread

Probably a lot of pfm’ers, too 😀

lodious
    Free Member

And Frank White who is mentioned as part of the second backing group played the main set at our wedding – anyone in the Sheffield area who sees his name – get down and see him. Proper 60’s musician. Quite often plays the Riverside…

I used to have guitar lessons with Frank when I was a student in Sheffield. Me and a few mates would go and watch him on a Friday night at a pub at Sheffield Lane Top. The lessons were properly bonkers, as I used to share with a mate who used to drink a bottle of wine on the way to the lesson (12:30 lunchtime) and Frank was a Jehovah’s Witness who thought that we needed saving from the sins of the workd (we did). Didn’t learn much, but it was interesting 😉

jules.b
    Free Member

Primare A20.2 D20, Tannoy HPD315 dual concentrics in custom cabinets, and a Motorola Milestone 2 on FLAC duties.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Audio buffs – what's your system?’ is closed to new replies.