Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Audio book recommendation for 18h of driving over christmas
  • tall_martin

Hi,

There is going to be some long car journeys over the Christmas period and I’d like to get an audio book to stave off boredom.

Previously I’ve enjoyed the girl with the dragon tattoo series and my wife hated the brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

Any recommendations for thriller type audiologist?

Cheers!

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Alan Partridge, either his biography or the new one where he travels the length of the country… it would help massively if you’re a fan of his mind… Steve Coogan voices it as Alan.

I had so many people giving me funny looks as I sniggered like a buffoon on a long train journey listening to the 1st one!

richmars

This is 16 CD’s so should last:
    Born to Run

BoardinBob

Any recommendations for thriller type audiologist?

I’ve not listened to it, and I can’t remember the name, but that podcast series about the murder case. Is it called “Serial”? Everyone raves about it

Rubber_Buccaneer

Spike Milligan’s war memoirs. I have only read the old fashioned paper books but will be giving the audio books a try now you’ve made me think about it

NOT a thriller, very funny loosely based on his real life experiences

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Bruce Robinson’s investigation into Jack the Ripper is great and over 18 hours. It is called ‘They all love Jack’.

You’ll be boring people at Christmas parties about who the real killer was…

titusrider
    Free Member

Lord of the rings unabridged is the daddy of long journeys. Something like 35cds…

Hicksy
    Free Member

Although not a book as such, SERIAL (as Bob mentions above) the podcast, is very good.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Ender’s Game

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Hitchhiker’s Guide, obvs 🙂

Bimbler
    Free Member

If you’re at all into Fantasy then the First Law trilogy would eat your long journies for breakfast running at 70ish hours. Set in the First Law world but a separate story I recommend “Best Served Cold”, 26 hours. His fantasy is more gritty and funny than most in the oeuvre. Bit blokey though.

In terms of crime/thrillers I really like the “Roy Grace” series written by Peter James, there are 12 of them and they’re around 12 hours long.

chakaping
    Free Member

I just load up on podcasts, never seem to run out of them.

The BBC have loads of worthwhile shows available and there’s decent stuff on cycling available, especially if you’re interested in road racing.

hatter

^ what he said.

The Beeb have a huge archive of In our time online to download as MP3’soon. Huge amounts of ‘ooooo I know almost nothing about this’ interestingness to be had.

The bugle podcast is good fun as well.

Cheezpleez

Walking home, Simon Armitage

tall_martin

Hi thanks for that!

First law trilogy. Lord of the rings and Hitchhiker’s Guide I’ve already read. I can’t face listening to them all again.

I’ll try the serial podcast. I listen to podcast when driving for work so I’ll try it then.

I might try black adder. I’ve listened to one series. There were some visual jokes that didn’t work but it’s mostly word based stuff.

I also loved the mighty boosh radio stuff.

Any other comedy suggestions?

chivalry
    Free Member

id have also suggested the first law trilogy without hesitation… just awesome,, but if not that,,, the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson was very good… 🙂

markgraylish
    Free Member

I listened to Shackleton’s story on a big road trip around the US. Would recommend that…

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Sign up to Audible, it’s well worth it. I find the person narrating makes a big difference to how engaged I am, particularly whilst driving. some of the Stephen King books are particularly well-read – I’ve just finished 40-odd hours of “It”. His new stuff is really good too (Mr.Mercedes and sequels).
    Also +1 for I, Partridge but only good for 6 hours or so!
    Some of the original James Bond books read by Rufus Sewell are good too – a little cheesy but he makes them compelling.

geoffj

The Robert Galbraith (JK Rowling) Cormoran Strike books are good if you like thrillers.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Serial” by this American life. Two seasons now available

Ioneonic

Serial is excellent
    The Bike Show Podcast from Resonance FM has some great episodes on unexpected topics eg http://thebikeshow.net/eileen-sheridan-the-mighty-atom/
    Audible- any Robert Harris eg Imperium series, long though. The Shepherds Life was another unexpected hit.
    Also hated The Brothers Karamazov…

ElShalimo

How about learning a language? A set of CDs like Linguaphone German is a good idea.
    If you’re stuck in the car then it’s an ideal way to make the time productive

jimwah
    Free Member

Hardcore History podcast by Dan Carlin is awesome. Just finished listening to King of Kings series about the Persian Empire, & Blueprint for Armageddon series was great too. And another +1 for Serial.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Audio book recommendation for 18h of driving over christmas’ is closed to new replies.