Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Audio Advice (Hi-Res & Maiden Content)
  • CaptainSlow

I’m looking to push a little further into 21C inspired by the release of this

https://www.onkyomusic.com/GB/iron-maiden-hi-res-catalogue

I’ve not bothered with FLAC/ALAC in the past as they’d just be based off CDs but am interested in the above as they’re mastered and provided in FLAC from the original studio tapes etc.

Id convert the FLAC to ALAC as my source would be a Mac.

Now my question is, would something like the Marantz MCR610 be any good to play back hi-res? Is there anything else I should consider at that price?

One more cheeky question – can anyone recommend a USB DAC?

Ta 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

No one going to make an obvious comment about Iron Maiden and quality sound reproduction? :mrgreen:

MrSmith
    Free Member

surely your computer is the best device for playback (with the right software) then use a reputable stand-alone DAC of which there are numerous choices.
    (i use a Musical Fidelity V-dac II with russ andrews power supply)

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

i use a Musical Fidelity V-dac II with russ andrews power supply

with the fuse upgrade ?

mikey74
    Free Member

No one going to make an obvious comment about Iron Maiden and quality sound reproduction?

No, because their musical quality is pretty damn exceptional.

Cougar

All about the bass, Mr Harris.

CountZero

I’ve not bothered with FLAC/ALAC in the past as they’d just be based off CDs but am interested in the above as they’re mastered and provided in FLAC from the original studio tapes etc.

Personally, I’d like to see/hear you tell them apart in a blind test. I’ve compared FLAC directly with AAC 320Kb files converted from the FLAC originals, (brand new recordings, taken from the stereo masters) and, frankly, I can’t tell the difference.
    And my hearing isn’t too bad.

MrSmith
    Free Member

with the fuse upgrade ?

? Wot that then? I just bought the combo from a dealer on a hifi forum so no idea what fuse upgrade is.
    The RA power supply has a nice kimber cable lead but is probably a snake oil product (don’t have the other supply to try)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Audio Advice (Hi-Res & Maiden Content)’ is closed to new replies.