Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 371 total)
  • Audi S3 – quite fast!
  • boblo
    Free Member

Yawn… Not bad though, page 3 before the really uptight started piling in.

dantsw13

My A3 Quattro has a 3.2V6! Only paid £4k for it with full leather, DSG gearbox, and loads of extras, whereas a Tdi of similar age would be 6k.

the_lecht_rocks

I’ve just bought the new S3 in STronic Sportback firm with most options ticked.
    Collected it on March 1st.
    Cracking car but utterly Audi in its inability to excite. Yes it’s quick, but it’s not that involving.
    However, it fits in the side of our garage allocated,has roof rails gor bikes and skis and is extremely refined … A fantastic daily driver IMO.

bearnecessities

Not jealous
    Not jealous
    Not jealous
    Ok, jealous 😀

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’m gobsmacked that on a forum like this, there should be a dick swinging contest about how fast people drive.

I must have missed that post…

meehaja
    Free Member

There is also. Big difference between fast and quickly. I drive quickly rather than fast!

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Hoooooold on, hoooold on, hold on…

we’re missing the real issue here.

as one does on an R1

you sir, ride like a woose.

pffft, time to trade in and buy a scooter me thinks.

😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

All sports bikes will annihilate an S3, even 600s, in a drag. I think the OP was just saying it was surprisingly quick , not that he couldn’t have caught it if he wanted to.

On a tight, bumpy, pot holey and twisty road it would be hard work to keep up.

On certain roads (i.e. as described above) I reckon I’m slower on my Fireblade than I was on my Street Triple R.

🙂

I remember coming round the roundabout at the bottom of the A331 on my Speed Triple, at a medium speed. I became aware of a car coming up my inside, a Porsche Boxter. He had the roof down and the missus in the passenger seat and I could hear from the tone of his engine that he was trying to impress. He had the inside line and he pulled past me. Boxter S, the fast one apparently. As we got to the turn off, I gained the inside line and drew level (I’d not changed my speed at this time) and I saw him glance across at me as he floored it. I was in second gear and did the same. He just shrunk to a dot in my mirrors. 😈

Some years before that around 1998-2001, I had a Hinda CB500s, a basic commuter bike with 57bhp. I had a friendly joust with a guy in an Impretza WRX…. Now I admit I did have to thrash the spuds off my little Honda but he couldn’t catch me… 🙂

Cars are quite amusing on a motorbike. It doesn’t matter how big, expensive and fast they are, you WILL pass them if you want to, it’s just a matter of time. 🙂

dantsw13

Out of interest, how would a superbike and F1 car fare round the same track?

tightywighty
    Free Member

dantsw13 – Member

Out of interest, how would a superbike and F1 car fare round the same track?

On Silverstone F1 cars are around 20-25 secs a lap faster than moto gp, they annihilate the bikes on braking and cornering.

molgrips
    Free Member

No matter how good you think you are, no matter how safe you think it is, please just don’t **** about on public roads. One day you will make a mistake.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/the-day-i-hoped-wouldnt-happen-cyclist-death

jimmy748

I have a 2008 S3 and it is very quick and grips like anything.
    I’ve also had a 99 R1 and unless it was wet the R1 would destroy the S3 on nearly any road.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Quite happy making progress on the M5 passed Exeter, when I saw some dull yellowed headlights coming up behind me. Knew it wasn’t a rozzer so kept at a ‘sensible pace’ in my Focus ST. He slowly came alongside me, knew I wasn’t the rozzers ( they use ST’s down there) It was a dirty green S4 estate, S reg. There was a whoosh of turbos and he just disappeared like a rocket. He was gone over the horizon in seconds. Total Q car. I just kept making pace knowing 300 bhp in mine was completely inadequate. 😯

Gachet
    Free Member

Wow, ‘making progress’ on a motorway, mighty ‘impressive’.

jaylittle
    Free Member

A friend of mine had one, loved the car but got fed up of replacing wing mirrors each time they were stolen.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Wow, ‘making progress’ on a motorway, mighty ‘impressive’.

Make of that what you like, but it wasn’t anywhere near a potential speed issue for the law in my car 🙄

MrSmith
    Free Member

No matter how good you think you are, no matter how safe you think it is, please just don’t **** about on public roads. One day you will make a mistake

Don’t worry Moley the drivers on STW are all experts. Even if they do break the speed limit it’s in a controlled manner with the safety of others in mind and not liable to increase the chances of an accident that might have an effect on other people.

loddrik
    Free Member

Oh my, motorbikes in faster than cars shocker. 😐

Most motorbike riders are idiots in my experience who seem to drive as fast as they want whenever they want.

pjm84
    Free Member

Most motorbike riders are idiots in my experience who seem to drive as fast as they want whenever they want.

Limited experience?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Don’t worry Moley the drivers on STW are all experts. Even if they do break the speed limit it’s in a controlled manner with the safety of others in mind and not liable to increase the chances of an accident that might have an effect on other people.

🙂

EDIT: I done the ton.

martinxyz
    Free Member

A quick google gives an S3 1/4 mile time of just under 14 seconds, and around the 5.5s mark to 60mph

I can see why Evo magazine said what they said about the 106 gti then. My first ever attempt at a 1/4 mile in mine saw a 15.3 at rough old Crail with about £500quid of alterations. Dead slow and stop.

martinxyz
    Free Member

There’s nothing like getting passed by something that’s very quiet but very quick. So fast that it leaves you too shocked to make any jestures or swear at them :O)

Then there’s the noisy cars. Like the first time I heard a 911 from a set of traffic lights in Edinburgh. I froze on the spot.

NZCol

Nothing says ‘I am most likely driving like an inconsiderate cock’ more than an Audi S3

I’m gobsmacked that on a forum like this, there should be a dick swinging contest about how fast people drive.

Interesting, despite having had lots of fast cars I’ve never had points or been stopped for speeding. I do all my fast driving on a track where it should be. But thanks for your concern.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I miss my impreza and ragging it sensibly. Its all I’ve got to add, oh and the fact that most cyclists killed are probably not done so by people enjoying their quick motor.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Ah that’s all right then. 🙄

molgrips
    Free Member

Well that’s me convinced. It’s all fine, fill your boots 🙄

And people take the piss out of me for thinking I’M special.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’m also in the no points/no kills crew. Are we all bad drivers if we have a quick motor?
    I’ll be honest I haven’t read many of the posts other than the first and last few but it seems its going the usual way of any stw/driving god/imbecile/smurfmat/no overtaking thread.

oldnick

There seems to be some correlation between how the red socks talk about mountain bikers and how some on here talk about anyone with a car capable of over 70 MPH.

I can’t seem to put my finger on the common denominator, it’s on the tip of my tongue…

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Say what now Nicklouse?!

Focus drivers eh? Pah. Lunatics . Etc etcetera

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes S3 is a lot of car for the money, @dan that’s a good buy, I am tempted by something similar as I want a Quattro, more tax and insurance but a lot of car … now that beng said @peter’s mate below has made a daft choice, Porsche into an Audi, only if you wanted 4 seats

my friend just picked up a new one (he’s had a few A3/S3s and just ditched his Cayman for the new S3), I can confirm that it is very very quick indeed

As for the “fast cars it will end in tears brigade” this is a mountain bike forum we risk serious injury opinion the sport, it might be a few cuts, a broken bone or life in a wheelchair, that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t do it

binkoth
    Free Member

Honestly jambalaya? You can’t tell the difference between an essentially solo activity where the risk is all to yourself and breaking the law putting everyone around you at risk for you to get your rocks off? WTF is wrong with people?

molgrips
    Free Member

There seems to be some correlation between how the red socks talk about mountain bikers and how some on here talk about anyone with a car capable of over 70 MPH.

Not really comparable. 5 people a day die on UK roads, not many on the trails.

This very forum is full of stories of impatient aggressive drivers being a danger to cyclists. And yet on this thread suddenly it’s all fine.

If you are having fun with a 300bhp car then you are putting cyclists or pedestrians at risk. Unless you are slowing to normal pace at every blind corner then you are risking taking out an innocent cyclist.

As a cyclist, I’ve had people swing out past me at speed only to find a car coming the other way. I’ve also come up behind cyclists as a driver and been unable to pass due to oncoming traffic, but happily I’m only driving gently so I’ve got time to brake.

If you’re exercising your 300bhp car then you’ve slashed your reaction time, making a dangerous marginal situation out of a perfectly safe one. This is what speed does – it slashes safety margins.

I know how it feels to push it on a country road, I’ve done it many times. But I force myself not to, because it’s **** dangerous and stupid. I save it for the bike.

Are we all bad drivers if we have a quick motor?

No-one’s a good enough driver to drive a quick motor quickly on public roads.

NZCol

No molgrips what you have defined there is driving to the conditions – sight, road type etc. nothing to do with a ‘fast’ car.

MrSmith
    Free Member

You don’t need a 300bhp car to drive like a tit but it certainly helps.

agent007
    Free Member

Molgrips I disagree with you. The thread here is about fast cars, not idiots on the road who will drive carelessly whatever their vehicle.

Fast cars handle better, brake better and accelerate better. This increases the margin of safety massively. I can overtake quickly and with more of a safety margin, I’ve never had any issues on motorway slip roads as the power allows me to slot in safely in the most appropriate and safe fashion, the car holds the road much better in wet and difficult driving situations, brakes much better in the rare occasion that something genuinely unforeseen happens, and there’s been many situations where the best and safest way out if a potentially dangerous situation created by other road users is by using power to get out of that situation – an option not available in a lesser car.

So fast cars increase not decrease the margin of safety, or in other words can be driven faster than an average car in many given situations with the same or greater degree of safety (however this fact seems like a red rag to a bull on here).

Still, since you bought up the subject of drivers, I also think on the whole that the people who own really fast cars (as proper driving machines to be driven quickly, rather than as bling, bling ‘look at me’ show ponies) look after and maintain their cars well, increasing safety, spend money on good tyres, increasing safety, care about improving their driving skills and road craft, again increasing safety, and are knowledgeable and interested about a whole range of motoring issues, further increasing safety. It’s the ignorant drivers who dislike cars and driving, with no interest in improving their skill set you should be far more worried about I’d have thought.

dantsw13

Jambalaya – insurance only £250 for my A3 Quattro.

I don’t drive like a tit, but with good line of sight, or a short Dual Carriageway section like you get a lot in my part of the world, it allows sensible overtaking with good margins.

the_lecht_rocks

My NEW 300hp S3 actually is less dynamic than my old NA 200hp daily driver and responds less well as a result meaning I drive it with less “enthusiasm”….
    However it is quicker and much more refined.
    Nothing wrong with 300hp, 4wd and a set of thules on the roof. Why is that irresponsible ?
    And I have had cars with more power, better dynamics and I’ve never had a speeding conviction. Touching wood…in almost 30 years of driving.

traildog
    Free Member

This goes back to what I was saying earlier. That these sort of cars are too good. “Enthusiastic” driving in these sort of cars does mean driving stupidly. I agree, it’s not the car, it’s the person. The thing is the person who likes these sorts of cars like to drive enthusiasticly and that’s why they spend on the money on them (not always I agree). So chicken and egg really.

Driven at sensible speed they are so effortless that you almost feel like you’re not moving.

richmtb

agent007 +1

Sad to see a nice thread about attainable fast cars descend into the usual hand wringing bullshit.

I’m off to run over a baby robin’s face

anagallis_arvensis

agent007, your post is just one long, I am a better driver than you cliche. You of course think you are a driving God and no doubt will consider me an idiot.

As an aside I find when I go out on my motorbike I rarely get to give it heaps due to all the traffic (riding a slow650 single means I can ride it hard within the rules, mostly). As I overtake lots of fast cars much faster than my bike I often wonder why people have them, it must be frusyrating as ****.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 371 total)

The topic ‘Audi S3 – quite fast!’ is closed to new replies.