Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Audi Quattro / 3.0 TDi ownership opinions….
  • lodious
    Free Member

Anybody had a 3.0TDi Quattro? I’m interested in servicing / economy / ownership costs and what they are like for reliability. I’m looking at an A6 (last of the outgoing shape), possibly manual. Also interested if anyone thinks the Bose sound system is any good.

I had a test drive in a A5 S-Line with same engine, and it was OK, but the ride was really hard, and it tramlined really badly…suppose i’d get used to that?

Any opinions much appreciated.

Del

4×4 is really superfluous on a road car except in all but the most severe conditions, under which probably the tyres will be the largest limiting factor. even in snow it’s not normally a problem of getting going, it’s the stopping that’s the problem. 😀
    YMMV, etc.

frogstomp

The S-Line suspension is well known for being quite unforgiving and the 18″ wheels won’t help with the tramlining. If you didn’t like it you would be best to go with the non S-Line spec as it will be significantly different.

lodious
    Free Member

The S-line Special Editions look like the best value, but the are fitted w/19″‘s…I don’t think i’d like them…suppose I could get them swapped for something smaller. (19″‘s might also make the car worse in snow…which defeats the reason for the four wheel drive)

wombat

I test drove a 57 plate A6 Avant 3.0 TDI Quatro Auto with 40k miles on it about 18 months ago and was entirely unimpressed.

It wasn’t nasty or objectionable in any way but it just left me cold, couldn’t get excited about it in any way. It wasn’t particularly quick, comfy, nice to look at (IMO) and didn’t handle particularly well either although in all fairness it wasn’t particularly bad at any of those things either. As a driving experience and for overall comfort I much preferred the 2.0 TDCI focus with 100k on the clock that I had at the time.

Also, the driver’s seat was very wide in spite of it being allegedly a “sports” seat there was acres of space between me and the sides of the seat so I slid about the seat a bit going round even gentle corners, I guess the average A6 driver must have considerably more than a 32″ waist 😉

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Spoke to a bloke who had one of these in a carpark as he was parked next to me, I just commented to him its a nice looking motor, he said yeh its not bad. He also continued to say that when it went in for a service at audi he did not get it back for 9!!!!!! weeks as it had an oil leak they could not cure on the engine !!

I asked “9 weeks ??” he confirmed 9 WEEKS !!!!!!

It was under warranty, imagine how much that would have costed from Audi if not at around circa £ 90 an hour labour.

I used to have an older A6 quattro. While it was good in the snow it didn’t actually help because everyone else on the road has 2wd and are in your way.

I now have a current generation A6, but it is 2wd (because of the above). Mine has 18″ and is fine. I did test drive a 19″ and that was OK too, for me. The Bose sounds pretty good but I haven’t compared it to a non-Bose car. And yes, the S line ‘sports’ seats are wider than you’d think (and wider than me).

On reliability there is nothing much to report. Most of the common issues were fixed in the 2008 facelift.

Forgot to add that a bike will fit in the boot of the saloon with the wheels off.

lodious
    Free Member

….interesting, I must admit, I was pretty uninspired with the A5, but I always find test drives a bit funny. The salesman was a bell end too, which doesn’t help.

Fantombiker

Got an Audi Allroad. Can’t speak high enough about build quality. It has done 155,000 miles without a squeak. A permanent 4 wheel drive system does go through more tyres than a 2 wheel, but is safe when the bad weather arrives….

Bose system is excellent, best i’ve heard anyway…

However, don’t go near a Audi dealer for servicing, with labour rates +£100 an hour it’s a joke. Go to local indy guys.

ridethelakes
    Free Member

Quattro is great, even if its not winter. I test drove two Audi A7’s, one with front wheel drive and one with 4 wheel drive. The front wheel version was very fidgety under acceleration and the traction control kicked in occasionally even when i wasn’t booting it. Whereas the 4 wheel drive was much more planted, no front lift under acceleration and no hint of loss of traction.

Worth the money IMO.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It was under warranty, imagine how much that would have costed from Audi if not at around circa £ 90 an hour labour.

But it wouldn’t happen. The Audi garage were just happy to take nine weeks to ‘fix’ it because they could pass their labour charge back to Audi – a nice little earner. It probably only took 5 minutes to fix it – the nine weeks was mainly spent laughing as they wrote up the invoice…

And I don’t agree that 4wd is mostly useless on a road car with 241bhp – it would come in useful quite a lot I reckon. I have never driven that variant but I have the RS one and the 4wd was a revalation on the twisty roads around my house – easily better through some tight corners than my 2.0tfsi TT

EDIT: And I am liking the comments about the harsh ride on the SLine models – about to take delivery of an SE SLine A6 2.0tdi (even bigger rims than the standard SLine) and I like a firm ride.

Xylene
    Free Member

Multitronic gear box is meant to be crap though on all Audis and dies frequently due to some sort of ECU failure.

Xylene
    Free Member

I like a firm ride.

So does my missus, but I can’t do it everyday.

GJP
    Free Member

Can’t comment on the Engine as I have only ever had one for a day when my own petrol engined Quattro was in the Garage. I really rate the Quattro 4WD on my A3 Sportback, handles like a go cart, although the drive is probably not as engaging as a rear wheel drive BMW.

I have the Bose system mainly because it came with the car. I can’t say I am overly impressed, it sounds fine but is nothing special, perhaps the standard one is really pants.

Mine has been faultless in 5 years since new and I have been very impressed with my local Audi dealer in terms of general servicing/support and not ripping me off. Perhaps when things go wrong it may be a different story.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

I had a 53 plate 2.5 TDi and it’s engine threw a con rod at 900 miles (new engine), then at 10K (three months old) and at 42K (11 months old) and Audi took it back they were so embarrassed. The reliability of VAG products is nowhere as good as they claim, their service in these instances made up for shocking quality issues.

I spent less than 10 month in that car and about 2 of them were in a loan car waiting for new engines.

takisawa2

We have a 2.7 TDi as a pool car, & that is nothing to write home about. Sounds nice, if a diesel ever could.
    In fact my old TDCi Mondeo feels quicker. (Well, now its fixed anyway) 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Audi Quattro / 3.0 TDi ownership opinions….’ is closed to new replies.