Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Audi A4 Avant – which tow bar?
  • qwerty
    Free Member

In need of a toe bra on a B7 A4 Avant, its got park assist sensors on the rear without the dash switch to turn them off.

I like the idea of detachable.

What do you recommend?

Pricing?

Any recommendations on fitting or a supply and fit outlet in North London / Essex / Herts?

Cheers

qwerty
    Free Member

bumpetybump

foxyrider
    Free Member

I wandered what a toe bra was so I typed it into good and got this? 😳

Marko

Lots of different makes, but you can never go wrong with a Witter:

http://www.witter-towbars.co.uk/
    Others are available:
    http://www.towsure.com/bespoke/towbars.html

The only issue is with the parking sensors. If you have a removable one fitted then it’s not a problem. A fixed one may interfere – or not, with the sensors. I prefer fixed bars as they have a simple built-in parking sensor – reverse, reverse, bang, stop, car parked.

Can’t help on a local company, but for a single electrics Tow bar expect to pay upwards of £250. Simple job to DIY btw.
    Hth
    Mark

Coleman
    Free Member

I usually have towbars fitted by Indespension, not particularly cheap but always good quality fitting. The last two A4’s had Brinkmatic removeable towbars and cost £270 and £350 respectively some years ago, so probably over £400 today.
    They have nationwide depots so probably find one local to you.
    http://www.indespension.co.uk/

Chris.H
    Free Member

The towbar shouldn’t interfere with the parking sensors in ordinary use if it is left on. I used to have an A4 and had a Westfalia detabable fitted. They only had to make a small cut on the underside of the bumper (not viasble) and the electrics folded behind the bumper when not required.

If you have the dedicated wiring harness rather than one that is clipped onto the wiring system, when you have anything attached to the electirc socket, it will turn off the reversing sensors. It is also useful as if you have an electrical fault on the car inthe future, they can unplug it and rule out the towbar electrics being the fault (Lesson learnt from past use!)

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Not a dealer fitted bar – they often subcontract and then charge the customer the premium.

A good local auto electrician can sort this out.

Make sure that you get the right electrics, many caravans now use a single 13 pin plug, so that is becoming more popular when tow bars are being fitted – future proofing, if you like. Ask for a 12 N or 12 S socket – the one that controls the lights only, you don’t need twin sockets or a 13 pin socket unless you plan to tow a caravan.

Detachable – much more expensive than a standard bar, and if you plan to use a bike carrier with it you can’t use a flange mounting bike carrier as a detachable has what is called a “swan neck” towbar.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Audi A4 Avant – which tow bar?’ is closed to new replies.