Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Audi A4 Avant or Allroad?
  • hb70

My car strategy is to buy good quality that I like with 60k or so on the clock and 3/5 years old. Then keep it for 8/10 years, with servicing at our local independent garage every 12 months.

Just sold our old VW transporter today. Think I would like a small Audi Estate. Live in the hills so can justify Allroad but the Avant’s are cheaper and more plentiful. Budget is 12k.

Any views on either as a long term, 8k miles a year family estate would be much appreciated.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m not sure what sort of outroad antics an Allroad could do that a standard Quattro couldn’t, there must be a very fine line between “too much for a normal car, but not so much you need a Defender/Shogan/Land Cruiser”. If you live within that fine line then an Allroad sounds like a nice option.

If you’re just worried about getting to work when it’s snowing or the like perhaps a Quattro will do?

parkesie
    Free Member

Volvo xc70 got to be worth a look if you don’t mind the pipe and slippers look.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

or a Subaru leggy/outback if you pop no style…

Jamie
    Free Member

Audi A4 Avant or Allroad?

Volvo xc70

Subaru leggy/outback

😀

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

The only Allroad really worth getting over a standard Audi Avant Quattro is the first generation one based on the A6 as it has a low range option (on manual boxes) and height-adjustable self-levelling air suspension which alters spring and damping rates. OTOH, if you need the increased ground clearance of the A4 Allroad but not proper off-roading ability, it’s probably a good choice.

hb70

Very helpful thanks. I need a little extra clearance for steep hills and tight turns up our hill. Looked at S Line but looked awfully low for steep bits. Thanks for advices.

iainc

The allroad seems to cost a load more than the Quattro though. When I was looking at them (A6 Avant) I couldn’t justify the extra. I have no need for extra ground clearance, just wanted the reassurance of 4wd after many yrs of rwd BMW’s in the Scottish winter snow and ice.

mmannerr

Reasons to get Allroad might include excitement over plastic panels and stickers 🙂
    But in reality they are really bit higher, normal Avants also have fairly low-cost factory option for higher ground clearance (I recall about 20mm over normal, not sure) and some spec levels include “sport suspension” (about -20mm IIRC) as default.

It is bit difficult to comment on spec levels though, they are country specific as are basic spec on the car. For example I don’t think they sell cars without heated seats in Nordics.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

The ride of the Allroad is better than the Quattro, but still not a patch on the Outback (5 yr old Allroad, 10 yr old Outback) The radio is better though…

iainc

I think staying away from the SLine suspension is a good idea – higher and less jarry.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Do you need the additional ground clearance of the Allroad? If not then absolutely no point in them over an Avant Quattro.

jamj1974

SE ride height is higher as standard than S-Line. You do see a few SE spec cars that are loaded with options to be of similar spec to S-Line but with softer suspension, smaller wheels with higher-profile tyres.

With your requirements, I’d go with an SE Avant myself.

iainc

I have an SE one, mate has the SLine. We both agree mine is a more comfortable ride. I guess in a race environment his would corner better, but in the real world, with potholes and poor road surfaces….

jambalaya
    Free Member

I had an A6 Quattro, could not see the point of an all road and I have had plenty of 4wds before and was coming from a Shogun.

Get the A4 Quattro. EDIT SE spec, as above superior ride comfort.

hb70

Thanks. Really useful all. Cheers

hb70

And just to finish this off, have just driven and offered on an immaculate 2014 Quattro Avant £11.5k with 90k miles and 1 company car owner. ST forum entirely correct about the Allroad, and S Line, and after 10 years driving a 2003 plate VW Transporter I feel like a lottery winner. Good advices many thanks. Should do me until we all move to electric.

andybrad

I wanted the original allroad v8.

Look at the owners forums. I got a more reliable RX8 instead!!!! people 7k into the repairs on them and its a common thing!

thought id only have one while it had a warranty.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

A4 Avant Estate (B7, not sure if these apply to later models) – connector to the airbag warning light is under the drivers seat. Push the drivers seat back, out pops the connector, airbag warning light is on, MoT fail. Reconnecting the airbag means taking the seat out (although a child with small enough arms might be able to reconnect it).
    Also water feed for the rear washer is through the wiper motor and into the wiper. A bit of grit here can affect the motor causing it to go on and off whenever it feels like but still unable to spray water onto the window.
    That aside, decent running costs and comforatable enough for long journeys. Decent but not cavernous boot space

Rockape63
    Free Member

Also don’t get a wheel size higher than 18in…..17in look a bit Knobby, but sounds like they will suit you best.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Audi A4 Avant or Allroad?’ is closed to new replies.