Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Auchterarder / Perthshire mountain biking
  • pixelmix
    Free Member

Looking to move near to Perth in the middle of 2016 to be closer to work.

I currently live 2 minutes ride from the Pentlands in Edinburgh, and doorstep riding is quite important to me. I also prefer a good 1h XC blast to a road ride where possible.

Looking at Perth itself, Kinoull Hill would tick the box (although is it a bit limited in size?) although I would probably prefer a bit of a commute to work so I can do a decent road ride in most days.

Bridge of Earn looks to be a 5 mile ride from Pitmedden, which would be okay, particularly if I could make half of that off road.

Auchterarder is 12mi from Comrie Croft, but it looks like a tedious road ride is the only way to get there. Is there much worth riding in the Ochils immediately to the south of auchterarder (towarssGlendevon or elsewhere?)? Strava doesn’t show much so I fear it might be limited.

Mrs Pixelmix isn’t too keen on Crieff, and Comrie is a bit out of the way for getting anywhere, hence the above being front runners.

Any thoughts?

matt_outandabout

It’s a broad valley – and so the immediate riding is limited. You have identified most of what I would say is the local riding. Would you move north of Perth – Dunkeld?

pixelmix
    Free Member

Had written off Dunkeld as we would possibly spend our lives driving to Perth to get anywhere (family in Edinburgh and Aberdeen and friends in Edin/Glasgow).

I always think Dunkeld feels cold and damp in winter nestled in the valley there, but maybe that is just me. Might be worth another look.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    geoffj

I always think Dunkeld feels cold and damp in winter nestled in the valley there, but maybe that is just me.

This is true, I suspect the relatively high sided valley has a lot to do with it. Bankfoot and Murthly feel a good couple of degrees warmer.

Edit – what about Scone?

rickon
    Free Member

If you live in Bridge of Earn you’ll have to ride to Pitmedden via Glenfoot. That’s all road, but very quiet road. I used to live on that road for a couple of years.

From there you can ride to Pitmedden and across to the Lomonds and back, getting in about 75km with just bits of quiet roads.

Bridge of Earn is quite nice, Abernethy is well located too for that kind of riding.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Scone is definitely a possibility. Much riding around there other than towards Kinnoull?

Shackleton

Dundee has the sidlaws and lots of local trails and is only 20 minutes from perth. Not much in between Dundee and Perth though.

My favourite riding around that area is probably the lomond hills though it is grim in the winter and gets damaged easily. Pitmedden is excellent for xc type stuff. Kinnoul is good doorstep stuff but always feels a bit disjointed. Dunkeld has some great riding nearby but I’d hate to commute up the A9.

If I worked in Perth and had the choice I’d probably live on the road connecting gateside, strathmiglo and Falkland. Easy access to top trails from the door!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

My brother stays in Falkland. I was surprised how close Perth was from there. The Lomonds, Pitmedden etc are on your doorstep.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Not to mention Falkland Bike Park! Dunkeld is only 15 mins from Perth as well, with a good short train connection. The riding around Dunkeld is sublime.

MrGrim

I guess it depends on whether or not cycling to work and back every day is a priority. I live at the other end of Glendevon I’m 30 minutes drive to Perth, 35-40 to the centre of Edinburgh and 40 minutes to Glasgow. The benefits are the central location and easy access to Glendevon, the Ochils, and Lomond hills. I can ride for hours from my house. The downside is I’m 22 miles from Perth so it would be a long cycle commute if you were doing it 5 days and then having the energy to go out mountain biking in your free time.

Auchterarder itself is nice. A lot of small cafe’s, a nice bike shop opened recently and it has quite a rural feel about it. The community is close which can be good or bad depending on what you are used to. There is also a train station in Gleneagles which blends into Auchterarder and it’s 16 minutes by train to Perth. It’s a bit less touristy (apart from during the open) than somewhere like Dunkeld which I think feels a bit suffocating in the summer months especially in the centre.

Dunkeld does have much better riding from your doorstep though and might become quite an attractive option if the A9 is dualled all the way up.

Areas like Dunning and Glenfarg might be worth a look as well.

Feel free to drop me an email if you think i can help.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Riding from the door – is Stirling too far away from work to be a consideration?.

kcal

Dunning although the off-road bits might be limited. Likewise Muckhart and Glen Devon – some opportunity but little in way of loads of singletrack IME. Dunked really would be pretty good location if you can bag it – then you’re half-way to the Highlands..

This as someone that was for 12 years in suburbs of Edinburgh and 30 minutes would get me – just – onto the Peatlands summits.. Now in Moray so perspective has altered.

matt_outandabout

Riding from the door – is Stirling, Dunblane or Bridge of Allan too far away from work to be a consideration?.

All three have regular trains to Perth direct, and all three have great riding from the door…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Was thinking that straight after I posted Matt! Really good riding from BoA, and a nice wee proper town centre too.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Thanks folks – some good tips in there. No surprises although I hadn’t given Dunkeld or Glendevon much thought.

Stirling or BoA is probably a bit of a push. I currently drive 50mi each way (or once or twice a week drive 30mi, ride 20mi) so I’m keen to be within 20mi ride which makes it rideable most of the time.

Much will depend on what is on the market when we market ours early next year. I’ll be sure to noise some of you up for local rides when we move, hopefully in Spring.

Currently Auchterarder, Dunning, Bridge of Earn are front runners, especially if I can convince myself that the riding from Auchterarder will be okay.

mute
    Free Member

I live just outside Dunning, there is not really any on the doorstep, though it might be possible to do a loop up Craig Rossie and into the Dunning glen. I’ve been meening to go for an explore around there but haven’t got around to it yet.

The commute into Perth from Dunning should get your legs going as I don’t think there not nothing flat once you cross the Earn.

alishand

Mrs Pixelmix isn’t too keen on Crieff

that’s unfortunate! There are some brilliant trails in Crieff, some of which are (strangely) built and maintained by Crieff Hydro Hotel (this includes a proper bike park style trail, jumps, wallrides etc..). Also a lot of techy natural stuff around that area if you look close enough, and thats more your style.

You would also have Comrie Croft just down the road, which is small, but pretty unique in terms of the type of trails it has (for a trail centre anyway). There is also an active group of mtbers who organise ‘from the doorstep’ style rides from Crieff every week.

Stirling or BoA is probably a bit of a push.

Even still, from Auchterarder / Crieff you are 25mins from some stunning natural trail networks. We are properly spoilt for choice in the BofA / Stirling area – the variety is huge, and the MTB scene is very large as a result, so you’ll get group rides most days of the week.

Time to expand those location choices 😉

stevious

If I was in your boat and off-road riding was high priority then I’d go in the direction of Creiff or Dunkeld.

There’s nothing in these parts that matches the Pentlands for accessibility & diversity but both of those places have superb trails (and are nice towns to boot).

If you’d be happy just exploring on a road bike or CX bike then you could stick a pin in the map of Perthshire and end up pretty happy.

dunkeldlocal
    Free Member

As a local of Dunkeld, you won’t find many places around perth with better from doorstep riding. It can be a little damp in winter and is colder too but its winter. As for getting to edinburgh its 15mins longer than perth and go the back road to Forfar fof Aberdeen. Couple of good pubs and locals that ride and ski/snowboard too. Best place to live.

highlandman
    Free Member

Dunkeld, Bankfoot, Methven, Glenalmond areas are all very worth considering, with reasonable road/mixed commutes and lots of accessable trail loops too. Remember, the best trail riding in Tayside & Fife is perhaps the big stuff up in the Angus Glens, with the Sidlaws and Glamis offering progressively gentler terrain as well. The network around Dunkeld is rapidly getting more extensive and steeper too… There is good off-road riding everywhere, just a bit limited nearby if you were to choose Auchterarder.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Auchterarder / Perthshire mountain biking’ is closed to new replies.