Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Attn; Surf-Matt, farmer giles, cranberry et al – Somebody tried to nick my 110 !
  • Tiger6791

Last night, I disturbed them but still screwdriverd the locks smashed the ignition and were in it with the engine going.

I always leave the transfer box in neutral so it puzzled them but had I not of disturbed them wouldn’t have taken long to work out.

Anyway shows how easy they are to nick and that people want them, even an old beat up 110.

Gonna get a clutch claw

ivantate
    Free Member

Good skills leaving it in neutral, saved alot of hassle!

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Had this happen Halloween weekend. Got to my car in the morning to find door ajar with the cover below the steering wheel broken.ignition was trashed. But they didn’t get away with it. Replaced the ignition etc on Friday. But still got to do the door locks. Steering wheel disk lock to get ordered i think!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that Tiger – very unsettling.

Heard Defenders are quite a target – ours is alarmed and immobilized but still going to be careful. Luckily we live in the sticks and very few people even know our house is here! Will be cautious when out and about though.

Very good idea on the “neutral” thing!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Tiger6791

Fixed that for ya! 🙂

epicyclo

Must be an asylum full of deranged LR drivers nearby. Who else would want to steal a 110?
    😆

pedalhead
    Free Member

yeah it’s not like they can make a quick getaway or anything 😀

Daniel
    Free Member

Someone pinched my 90 CSW about five years ago, 2 days before Christmas. Middle of the day in an open car park. Never saw it again 🙁

I once had a TD5 110 CSW without central locking. I went through a spell of locking myself out of it. I became a dab hand at removing the seal around the alpine light, putting my arm in and unlocking the rear passenger door from the inside.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

They get stolen because their is a huge market for second hand spares. It is pretty much impossible to track any parts as been stolen. I used to do up a couple a year for some extra pocket money, but in the end I gave up as 1 got stolen and 1 attempted theft. They are about as secure as an open door. The only devices that are really good are the lock boxes that go over the pedals. Their is also lock that fits over the gear stick and stops a gear being selected. All of these devices are a real pain for every day living.

geoffj

I used to have one of these on my 110 fitted between the middle seat and bulkhead.

Obviously it wont deter them if their serious enough, but it is another little obstacle to put in their way.

fisha
    Free Member

Older defenders are pretty easy to get into and start, nd good targets for the resale value. Glad you got to it in time to stop it going anywhere.

The kill switch is a good one. I also liked the look of the handbrake locks and clutch pedal locks.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

If you are going to put in an isolator switch make sure you have a spare key hidden somewhere in the vehicle. Also buy a good quality one, I had one fitted on a competition Landrover and it gave me no end of problems, also broke the key once. Bought a decent branded one for about twice the price of a cheap one and all my problems went away.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

This is silly expensive but very discreat and effective.

http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/Meck_Lock.shtml

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Don’t know what these use ignition wise, but when I had a Triumph Spitfire, I used to take the rotor arm out of the distributor as a cheap, quick immobiliser

Daniel
    Free Member

I came across this pic of my old 110. I had the tyres turned round after seeing this pic 😳

The old comp motor from ‘back in the day’. One of the ones we regreted selling.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Daniel – where is that in the top pic? Looks a bit like a slipway near here.

Lovely 110 and cool trials Landy too!

Still got one or moved on?

Daniel
    Free Member

It’s Salcombe.

Can’t get rid of Landys. They’re in the blood.

Building a ’48 Series One at the moment (Series 1’s are my favourite)

This is the only working Landy I have at the moment 😉

farmer-giles
    Free Member

tiger – cheers for the heads up; only just found this thread.

when i had a series 3 truck cab some local chav tried to break in with a screwdriver and then broke the rear quarterlight on the drivers side. if the nob had done it on the passenger side then he would have got in.
    i always parked that one in neutral on both the overdrive and the transferbox and even engaged the 4 wheel drive lever, just in case!

oldgit
    Free Member

Always had people ‘enquiring’ about my 90. Think the gun rack and barking dog were a good deterrent.

coffeeking
    Free Member

HA, I was just about to say that’s Salcombe slipway!

Heard Defenders are quite a target – ours is alarmed and immobilized but still going to be careful. Luckily we live in the sticks and very few people even know our house is here! Will be cautious when out and about though.

Doesn’t matter, I know of one recently stolen from a farmhouse in the back of beyond, not even visible from the road, behind trees and in a barn. Apparently they’re a big target.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

CK – honestly you don’t know how safe we are here!
    1 in 3 hill (that many vans can’t get up) is the ONLY approach, otherwise surrounded by impenetrable woods/bramble bushes and we have a dog with rather good hearing. And we are here almost all the time – when we aren’t, neighbours (with dogs) keep an eye on the place.

Daniel – my uncle owns the “Old Customs House” – pinkish coloured place next to the RNLI station. Nice area – spent a lot of time there.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Think the gun rack and barking dog were a good deterrent.

But you don’t even own one gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack…

CK – honestly you don’t know how safe we are here!
    1 in 3 hill (that many vans can’t get up) is the ONLY approach, otherwise surrounded by impenetrable woods/bramble bushes and we have a dog with rather good hearing. And we are here almost all the time – when we aren’t, neighbours (with dogs) keep an eye on the place.

Hope you’re right, the person involved was also at home at the time on the other side of the house, with 4 free-running VERY large dogs. Perps arrived by car to the main road then apparently came up on foot unheard.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

ck – tee hee – classy line that one!

I am right – there has never been a burglary or theft from this house even without a dog. We also have a gravel driveway so silence is impossible.

Not sure what year the OP’s was but ours is the current “Puma” version with alarm and immobilizer (and big flashing LED when it’s not in use). That should make a difference I hope.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Glad you stopped them!

Someone broke into my old 1971 Series III and tried to hotwire it. Found the door open in the morning and the ignition pulled to bits.

Thing it, I was in the middle of repairing the brakes – all the parts were laid neatly out in the back and covered with a sheet – pads, drums, the lot – wheels back on so the jack/stands didn’t get nicked.

Part of me really wished they’d got it running – and I’d seen their faces at the T junction at the bottom of the hill. The Landy would have made a right mess of the stone wall opposite!

cranberry
    Free Member

This happened in my home town last week. Defenders are very stealable, though the Puma and TD5 versions are a bit harder for them to take away.

Be careful and stay lucky.

swamp_boy

You can buy red blinky LEDs for a few quid and wire them in to make it look like you have a security system.

Marmoset
    Free Member

Nice project Daniel,

On another note, anyone want some copies of LROI – I’ve got from Issue 9 2007 to issue 8 2010 to go to a good home for free. I’m based in Chester, so local would be best as postage would be monstrous.

Rich

boblo
    Free Member

Surf-Mat – Member
    <snip>

I am right

<snip>

Now there’s a surprise… 🙂

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Attn; Surf-Matt, farmer giles, cranberry et al – Somebody tried to nick my 110 !’ is closed to new replies.