Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Attn: Bristol Riders (especially newbies)
  • KINGTUT
    Free Member

The Timberland trail although signed in one direction has been for many years ridden in both directions and this is excepted my most 'regular' riders.

Whilst it is obviously the duty of the rider going against the grain to keep an eye out for approaching riders, it may also help if all riders kept an eye out for riders approaching in the opposite direction.

Instead of wasting your energy shouting at riders 'Hang on a minute Chief, you're going the wrong way' or 'This trail is one way traffic only' maybe it would be best conserved for pedaling a bit faster.

HTH.

😉

Eccles
    Free Member

Ahem …the timberland trail, athough bizzarely signposted in COMPLETELY THE WRONG DIRECTION over a great deal of it's route…

Milkie
    Free Member

I think there's a thread like this every year? Not that I'm complaining about the thread, more about the signage really.

I haven't been there for a while, but from what I remember, better signage would be better; I remember reading it was one way, but on riding it, there were a lot going the "other" way round.

A newbie wouldn't know to look for oncoming traffic, so it's the duty of the other rider to keep an eye out. The first time I rode it a guy nearly took me out, he wasnt looking, I wasn't looking. Now I know, I make sure I look and take certain corners carefully.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I think there's a thread like this every year?

Indeed there is, I'm just getting this years covered for the new ones, there seems to be a fair few out there at the moment.

GaryLake
    Free Member

I think there is a degree of issue though because the regulars are often doing Bike Fest laps (myself included), and on the odd occasion the course is actually dry, trying to bank a PB while going against the flow of those following the waymarkers is a recipe for distaster…

Tongue firmly in cheek, but "Instead of wasting your energy shouting at riders 'Hang on a minute Chief, you're going the wrong way' on the internet or 'This trail is one way traffic only' maybe it would be best conserved for pedaling a bit faster. getting your lap times down further…"

😉

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Nah, sub 30mins at the moment I'm happy. 😉

GaryLake
    Free Member

But that's only quite quick… 😉

TooTall
    Free Member

I've never ridden the Timberland Trail. Perhaps I could bag me a skinny wannabe racer scalp if I managed to catch one head on!

Expected – the word is expected – or perhaps accepted – but not excepted. 🙄

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Quick enough for an aging old knacker like me, besides it may be quicker if I didn't have to spend time shoving these newbies into hedges. 😉

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Expected – the word is expected – or perhaps accepted – but not excepted.

Naff off pedant.

Anyway you've been in Bristol ages now and you haven't ridden the TT?

TooTall
    Free Member

You're a dad as well now – short of time these days. I'm exploring the bridleways North as well.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

You're not missing out on much TT, its full of bike sized holes anyway.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

It is rough as **** at the moment, makes me yearn for a full suss again, ah well at least it's dry.

MrAgreeable

Oh dear Mike, have you got your race head on already? 🙂 It's lush out there at the moment, riders will be flocking to it like flies, not a good time to be pegging round in either direction IMO.

By the way, I've seen the new draft trail design, and it's going to keep the current direction. I shall stand back and wait for the eruption…

TooTall
    Free Member

Big holes the size of wee bikes? rough?

Sounds like a job for the Monster Truck Bike! RROOAAARRRRRRR!

If you're riding it and hear the rumble of a minor earthquake closing in, it'll be me on the Sultan!

pjt201
    Free Member

seen it, i heard you were instrumental in the decision ant 😉

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

*throws rocks at Ant*

barney
    Free Member

*doesn't care about Timberland direction any more*

*Throws rocks at Ant anyway*

🙂

MrAgreeable

I've told them to put in some extra-twisty corners and sudden grade changes too, just to piss off the tandem riders. 😉

barney
    Free Member

random and unnecessary second post

MrAgreeable

And some low-hanging branches for the next time Barney's down. With "prog rock is rubbish" whittled into the bark. 🙂

barney
    Free Member

*throws some Prog Rock at Ant* 🙂

MrAgreeable

*dodges during 30-minute zither solo*

KINGTUT
    Free Member

**imagines Ant having stones thrown at him**

**smiles**

MrAgreeable

*tries to imagine what sort of terrible fate could make Kingtut's life worse than it is already*

*gives up*

Eccles
    Free Member

I'm surrounded by bloody idiots.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

**is still smiling**

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I've told them to put in some extra-twisty corners and sudden grade changes too, just to piss off the tandem riders.

Its already got the former, as for the latter, I don't know where you'll get the necessary topography from. Besides we ride spd, so can ride up hills unlike fashion-victim flats riders.

Oh and we won't bother with AC, becuase some blond gimp has put stoopid square edged stone bars in any bits of trail with any flow in some tragic bid to turn AC into Whistler bike park.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

**smiles some more**

MrAgreeable

🙂 🙂 🙂

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

*takes bow*

*places in hair*

MrAgreeable

Eccles – Member

I'm surrounded by bloody idiots.

That's a bit harsh on your fellow conveyancers is it not?

TooTall
    Free Member

Whilst it is obviously the duty of the rider going against the grain to keep an eye out for approaching riders, it may also help if all riders kept an eye out for riders approaching in the opposite direction.

However – if you are some sort of racing snake, too important to speak, too special to ask, won't even make eye contact, offer to go left or right or even slow down YOU ARE A CHOD AND NEXT TIME I WILL JUST RUN YOU DOWN AND RIDE OVER YOUR CRUMPLED BIKE AND WHINGING BROKEN BODY YOU RUNT! YOU WILL HURT MORE THAN ME!

This happened several times on my one lap today. On narrow sections. Anyone polite was accommodated, anyone coming past in my direction I side-stepped for. However, the special types barging around the wrong way really stood out and will not find me so fluffy next time. The monster truck will roll.

*breathes*

BruceK
    Free Member

watch out for Sunday drivers…. 🙂

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Attn: Bristol Riders (especially newbies)’ is closed to new replies.