• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Attic roof lighting vs attic insulation
  • TheFlyingOx

Just a quick Q, as I embark on Phase 1 of our house renovation.
    Re-doing the attic conversion, not changing any layout, just doing the walls/ceiling properly and changing the insulation for something a bit less flammable. Previously there was some Rockwool-type fluff wrapped in black plastic, held up by single ply nailed to the rafters. This left no breathing space between the outer edge of the insulation and the lats/roof tiles. I’m going for 50mm Celotex sheets between the beams/rafters, then plasterboard screwed to beams. The problem I’m anticipating is as follows:
    The roof centre is only about 6’3″ high and slopes down to about 3′ at either edge of the room, so normal dangly lights aren’t going to be do-able. I was thinking some of those LED spots that fit flush with the ceiling, but can I install these through the Celotex? Will there be any kind of overheating/fire hazard created in doing so? Roof beams are only 6″ deep, so there’s not a lot of room to play with if I want ventilation space and insulation.

The wiring has already been run in place for this, I guess previous owners had ideas to do the same but ended up just bashing it all together in a hurry to get the place sold.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The topic ‘Attic roof lighting vs attic insulation’ is closed to new replies.