Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Attention vegetarians! I have a Jelly Baby question
  • Harry_the_Spider

My daughter is a vegetarian with type 1 diabetes. When she goes “hypo” she needs about 15g of fast acting carbs to pull her round. At the moment we use FruitStix which are basically compressed fruit sugar bars but I would like to find an alternative as I’m sure one day she will announce that she is not eating baby food.

So… what jelly type sweets are out there that don’t contain gelatine or beetle based colouring?

This is a serious question, so if you intend to reply with “eat meat” then please don’t bother.

wwaswas

look at some of the energy gel sachet type products – mess free and portable and probably have a reasonable number of carbs in?

thejesmonddingo

I googled this for you,as you couldn’t be bothered
    http://www.scrumptioussweets.co.uk/categories/Vegetarian-Jelly–Sweets/

Harry_the_Spider

It has to be 15g (3 Jelly Babies). Any more and she’ll go “hyper” and we’d have to bring her down with a dart gun full on insulin.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, most Mule stuff is suitable for vegetablists, so worth a look.

thejesmonddingo

You don’t have scales ?

banks
    Free Member

Me grandad swore by jam sambwich or jam scones when he went hypo.

29erKeith
    Free Member

Jelly babies use bovine or pig gelatine if AFAIK

I think the “Natural Jelly Snake” etc range are ok for veggies
    I know ‘cos one of my running mates is a strict vegetarian so I always try to get veggie sweets for when we’re training\racing.
    available in asda and I’m sure other supermarkets too
    http://www.naturalconfectionery.co.uk

HTH

[edit]not sure what they weight each though[\edit]

Harry_the_Spider

thejesmonddingo – Member
    I googled this for you,as you couldn’t be bothered

I googled that as well, but it doesn’t give any nutritional information. They are no use if they contain too little or too much sugar. I want to go to a shop and read the packaging.

You don’t have scales ?

Yes. But they don’t fit in my pocket.

aP
    Free Member

Any of these any good? Maybe buy some small press and seal bags and make up “just in case packs”.
    Vegan sweets

wordnumb
    Free Member

Many gel sachets are vegetarian friendly (not all flavours though) however the one I’m looking at says “not suitable for children under 15 years”.

mrmoofo

Thy are made from modified starch … so yes, they will be fine …

Now, do you want to know how many beetles the average person consumes a year because of the beetles in flour ?

Is the insulin she uses from vegetarian sources ?

mocha
    Free Member

we eat various different makes of jelly beans that most of the supermarkets sell 3 bags for a £1 – Shona’s strictly veggie and that’s the only kind jelly sweets she’ll eat. No animal froducts in them as far as we can see.

patriotpro
    Free Member

ut they don’t fit in my pocket.

Bigger pockets, smaller scales or eat mea……

thomthumb
    Free Member

jelly babies aren’t vegitarian.

jelly tots are though.

Harry_the_Spider

mocha – Member
    we eat various different makes of jelly beans that most of the supermarkets sell 3 bags for a £1 – Shona’s strictly veggie and that’s the only kind jelly sweets she’ll eat. No animal froducts in them as far as we can see.

Cheers Richard, I’ll have a look at some Jelly Bean packets.

Harry_the_Spider

🙄

Thanks for the GlucoJuice link. We want to use regular sweets as the poor kid has enough to deal with using the monitor and needles.

Longarmedmonkey

Marks and Spencer do a range of Veggi Sweets

Veggi Piggies

Yumm!

spooky_b329

Two cliff shot blocks (strawberry in this case) around approx 15g of carbs. Possibly not the cheapest solution though. A glance at the ingredients doesn’t show up any gelatin alarm bells. A gel would be faster acting though I think?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Glucotabs

Fast acting and suitable for veggies and vegans

Tha Raspberry ones are rather lovely. They come in nice small tubes too, so handy for stashing around the house, in the car, bags, etc

http://www.glucotabs.co.uk/

Diane
    Free Member

Yep was just gonna suggest M and S

nickc

Pretty much all the “jelly ” like sweets have gelatine in them. Jelly tots and jelly beans are about the only alternatives

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Gels are generally slower release than a glucose tablet. In the event of a hypo you want very rapid absorption of the glucose. The Glucotabs generally bring back in a few minutes

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member
    mrmoofo

As google doesn’t work when it is snowing

Ingredients

Sugar,Glucose Syrup ,Water ,Gelatine (Bovine) ,Concentrated Fruit Juices* (1%) (Apple, Lime, Orange, Strawberry, Blackcurrant, Lemon, Raspberry) ,Acids (Citric, Acetic) ,Natural (Lemon, Lime, Raspberry) Flavourings with other Natural Flavourings ,Natural Orange Flavouring ,Natural Flavourings ,Concentrated Vegetable Extracts (Black Carrot, Spinach, Stinging Nettle, Turmeric) ,Colours (Vegetable Carbon, Paprika Extract, Lutein) ,*Equivalent to 5.5% Fruit Juice

Ok- why the rolly eyes?
    The question about the insulin is a genuine one …

Cougar

I picked up some vegetarian jelly babies from, of all places, the food carriage on a train a couple of weeks ago. They were really good.

grtdkad

I’m pretty sure those Natural Jelly Snakes contain a fair amount of hoof and other boiled up bits of animal.

Natural does not = Veg

Tasty though!

nicko74

Main problem may be that you eat them all before your daughter has chance… 😉

Harry_the_Spider

Ok- why the rolly eyes?
    The question about the insulin is a genuine one …

Cobblers, you were trolling.

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

Jelly Babies and Natural sweet confectionery are not veggie they contain either cow or pig gelatine.
    Most pack show a V on the front I buy the following when fancy something veggie and chewy
    laces, and fizzy belts from tesco’s /sainsburys range are veggie (usually 3 for a £1)
    Sainsburys basic fruit chews
    M&S also do veggie versions of percy pig and colin caterpillars now
    haribo only do the 1 veggie chews – to be honest they are not that great
    I think the jelly beans are veggie as well.
    I always double check as some mint imperials are not veggie!

mrmoofo

Actually, I wasn’t

But NLGAF …

Andy_K

Actually, I wasn’t
    But NLGAF …

Most insulin was derived from animal sources up until the 80s, so it’s only a partial troll.

Drac

Hypostop.

Cougar

I always double check as some mint imperials are not veggie!

Some stuff is fairly obvious, but stuff like that can easily catch you out. I’ve have to check to be certain but I’ve half a memory that sugar free Polos are vegetarian, but the regular ones aren’t.

poly
    Free Member

Thanks for the GlucoJuice link. We want to use regular sweets as the poor kid has enough to deal with using the monitor and needles.

I suggest you get some to try. Mrs P, who is Type 1 diabetic, assures me that it is quite nice and much better than Lucozade – and faster acting than any food. I will acknowledge a very tenuous and distant link to the manufacturer – but I do not benefit from their sales.

there is a trend in the “industry” away from putting new patients on animal derived insulins, and therefore it is very likely that a child is on synthetic insulin.

tonto
    Free Member

Jelly Beans or Haribo Funny Mix are what I use.

mcroxton
    Free Member

~5 Jelly Beans should give you about 15g CHO but it depends on what size they are. There are lots of ‘normal’ sweets which are veggie friendly, boot laces, american hard gums, even Starburst! Personally, I don;t like the veggie Haribo or Percy Pigs, my cycling sweet of choice are Sour Fruit Salad’s by Goody Good Stuff, which I get from Waitrose (~4=15g CHO)- I’m reliably told they’re not as good as Tangfastics but they’re far better than veggie cola bottles!

Hope that helps?

edhornby

how about one of those little boxes of sunmaid raisins? they are about 15 grams I think.. [edit] google says 14grams

fast enough metabolising ??

Shak47

American hard gums are veggie, no gelatine in them, they don’t tend to actually be hard either.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Attention vegetarians! I have a Jelly Baby question’ is closed to new replies.