Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Attention to detail – slight pedant content
  • dannybgoode

So, for my wife’s graduation ball the University of Sheffield hired Cutlers Hall (you know Sheffield – famous for its steel, its knives and forks that kind of thing).

Why then was all the cutlery ‘Made in London’?

Really should be able to source Sheffield knives and forks for the Cutlers Hall in Sheffield…

Am I expecting too much?

Cheers

Danny B

camo16
    Free Member

As long as there were whippets and flat caps I wouldn’t worry too much! 😉

* 8 years in Leeds gives me rights over lame Yorkshire jokes *

dannybgoode

No – not a whippet, greyhound or flat cap in sight (my wife wouldn’t let me wear mine – flat cap that is not whippet or greyhound).

Cheers

Danny B

camo16
    Free Member

😆

dabble
    Free Member

Gi’ o’er, as long as t’centrepieces o’ t’tables contains coal, tha should be grand lad. Tha knoz.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

University of Sheffield

It could be worse, when I was there UoS graduate in the Octagon which has all the ambiance of a bad year 9 schoo disco. Hallam graduated* in City Hall.

*with a 2:2 in media studies and VD

sugdenr
    Free Member

Its worse than you think, that ‘Made in London’ is like On One and Cotic are ‘Made in England’ – really it all came from Taiwan, probably recycled chopsticks.

plyphon
    Free Member

Forged by only the youngest of chinese slave children.

wwaswas

Sheffield – famous for its steel, its knives and forks that kind of thing

not any more, I fear.

snooker tournaments, maybe.

kelvin

Cotic frames say where they’re made on a decal on them, and the website says,

“Our frames are designed and developed entirely by us here in the UK, and then manufactured elsewhere. We basically do everything but the welding and painting. For the most part this means sourcing frames built to our designs by the great frame builders out in Taiwan. All our suppliers are truly world class, build bikes all day, everyday, and are brilliant at what they do.”

Still plenty of steel work going on in Sheffield, but obviously no where near on the scale of its peak.

Getting Sheffield made cutlery (even if from imported steel) would seem like a no brainer of a promotional tool for a Sheffield eatery. Even if costly.

footflaps

David Mellor cutlery is still going strong in Hathersage, drive past it on the way to the Peaks:

http://www.davidmellordesign.com/dmCutlery.php

alfabus
    Free Member

David Mellor cutlery is still going strong in Hathersage

So that is what he’s up to these days.

Peyote
    Free Member

Isn’t Sheffield Steel these days a bit too high quality for simple stuff like standard cutlery? I thought they focussed more on high grade alloys for surgical or similar high tech purposes.

Could be wrong though. I often am.

piemonster

The last bit of steel I had with “made in Sheffield” on it bent on first use.

nedrapier

I cleared out my Grandparent’s house a couple of years ago. Almost everything was really quite old. Metal kitchen things were either stamped “Made in Sheffield” or “Foreign”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Attention to detail – slight pedant content’ is closed to new replies.