Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 372 total)
  • Attention Motorcyclists…
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

PP becomes TJ on motorbike threads

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’d tell you to rack off if you asked me

But why? It’s a perfectly reasonable question. Why cop a strop about it?

ocrider

We met some motorcyclists coming the other way on a stretch of road with some long bends, but really good visibility last Sunday. Needless to say, we were rather surprised that the gentleman with his head our side of the carriageway made no attempt to change his trajectory despite having a good 2/300 metres to do so. Rather than decapite him, we had to swerve and drive with two wheels on the verge. Thanks w****r. 👿

DezB
    Free Member

I went to a neighbour’s funeral a few years back. Killed overtaking on a back road. Nice young fella.

jacko791
    Free Member

Very true. It annoys me to the point where I’ve actually asked people why they are sitting in the middle of a queue on a bike a couple of times.

I’ll never filter unless I know the layout of the junction that I’m filtering to. If I end up at the front of the queue and need to cut across 2 lanes for a left turn then it ends up pissing off too many people. Actually I do filter a bit if I ever go into London and I never know where I’m going then but the traffic is usually moving so slowly that it doesn’t cause issues.
    I tend to ride very cautiously but don’t have issues with the speeds most riders travel at. The only thing that really annoys me is riders filtering in motorway traffic that’s moving at 60-80mph. I don’t mean changing lanes to get through but actually sitting on the white lines doing 80-90mph through flowing traffic. Only really see it frequently on the M4 into London but have seen it all over the country. Can’t figure out why anyone would bother.

richmtb

I quite enjoy trying to keep of with bikes through the twisties. They just leave me for dead anytime the road straightens though.

Fast riders don’t bother me at all, on A-roads I signal to let them past and marvel as they disappear down the road.

Slow riders can be really frustrating, they boot it in a straight line and hold you up at the next corner and the next corner. You just have to follow them as they do 30mph round 60mph bends.

donsimon
    Free Member

But why? It’s a perfectly reasonable question. Why cop a strop about it?

Don’t confuse someone who’s telling you to mind your own business with someone being in a strop. It really is none of your business and I’m surprised at your surprise.

coffeeking
    Free Member

There’s only two things with motorbikes that get my goat. One is cornering over the white line so I have to take evasive action so as not to hit their head and the other is “I can’t get past in one go, I’ll creep along the queue slotting into spaces and trashing peoples braking distance as I go at each hop, further slowing the cars by forcing people to brake and not giving a damn about anyone but my own progress”.

But many are very, very good drivers and I wish them well.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

coffeeking -the second of those has no impact upon your journey time at all and does not cause you to brake if done properly

coffeeking
    Free Member

coffeeking -the second of those has no impact upon your journey time at all and does not cause you to brake if done properly

I assure you it does, whether you like to think it or not. If you sneak into the braking space I’ve left I HAVE to drop back or risk running into you if something happens ahead. This means I use my brakes and then waste my fuel getting back to the position I had once you’re gone. It’s inconsiderate and dangerous. Why should I be forced to do that just because you want to overtake? You overtake when it’s safe to do so, not when you have to _make_ a space to avoid oncoming traffic.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So you have to ease off the throttle for a second. You are still behind the same car after the motorbike has pissed off into the distance, it has not slowed your journey at all.

You are just irked because they can overtake when you cannot.

would you refuse a faster car behind you space to overtake and drop in between you and the car in front?

donsimon
    Free Member

So you have to ease off the throttle for a second. You are still behind the same car after the motorbike has pissed off into the distance, it has not slowed your journey at all.

Why do you think a motorbike should be able to do something that has an impact on other road users?

😆

would you refuse a faster car behind you space to overtake and drop in between you and the car in front?

I would.
    As long as your comfy TJ, that’s all that matters.

superfli
    Free Member

stm, as PP points out, max chat in 3rd even on a 600RR will be well in excess of 100mph.
    I know this because I glanced down at my speedo the other day, 120mph in 2nd (I was about to change up – didnt want to drop the front, it was a long sliproad 😆 )

Only having a read, cant be bothered to contribute anything sensible to this discussion.

richmtb

I’m with TJ on this one.

If a motorbike catches me I expect them to overtake and I make a space in front of me for them to slot into. I’ll even signal to let them know its clear to overtake. Just common courtesy for someone who can make better progress than me. I’ll also do the same if I see someone “on it” in a fast car.

A bike needs a hell of a lot less space than a car to overtake so I just let them get on with it. I can then get on with waiting for my gap to overtake Mr 41miles and hour.

sobriety
    Free Member

If things go wrong then they do so very quickly, and unfortunately some people pay the ultimate price for the ultimate thrill.

As my dear old Dad (rider since about forever) says ‘it’ll only go as fast as your right hand lets it, if you ride like a statistic you deserve to become one’

rocketman
    Free Member

Something that looks fast and silly from a car can often be achieved with relaxed ease on a bike.

QFT

With all due respect people who have not grown up with motorbikes have absolutely no idea what a motorcycle is capable of. It just looks way too fast way and generally way too dangerous from the driver’s seat

coffeeking
    Free Member

Not at all, I don’t care if they can do so cleanly and without affecting me. When they pass when traffic is coming and force their way into a gap it pisses me off, yes. It’s not a case of letting off the throttle – by them more than halving my space in front I have to brake or any accident where I kill them will be my fault – don’t know about your car but mine doesnt slow much when I let off the throttle.

I’d happily have them overtake if they could get past clearly or if I’d left enough car spaces ahead of me to fit an extra person, but this isn’t always the case. I’d expect it. If I were in a queue with no extra space between me and the person in front, no I wouldn’t expect the car to overtake and pull in – clearly I’d brake if I had to for safety but I don’t think it’s OK to force your way up a queue by forcing people to brake and make room for you – that’s just rude and irresponsible.

I have a very nippy high performance car. If I were to make my way up a traffic queue expecting folk to move back and let me pass there would be hell to pay. My car is more than capable of overtaking most cars on the road, but cutting in in front of people or EXPECTING them to move back is just bad road manners. Bike owners seem to think it’s their right and somehow think the “what looks dangerous really isn’t” patter works for them where all car drivers are dangerous. Very often these moves scupper my own moves to overtake a car in front of me, meaning I’m then stuck for the next 5 miles waiting for clear visibility and the opportunity to move on.

Regardless of vehicle – if you can complete the move cleanly and without affecting others then go for it, otherwise don’t.

Highway code:

Before overtaking you should make sure

the road is sufficiently clear ahead
    road users are not beginning to overtake you
    * there is a suitable gap in front of the road user you plan to overtake

Not force them to make a gap. Overtaking is YOUR choice and YOUR move, not someone elses.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ll never filter unless I know the layout of the junction that I’m filtering to.

Really? REALLY?
    I filter ALL THE TIME. At every single available safe opportunity, without any hesitation whatsoever. The layout of the road has absolutely bugger all to do with it. If there’s cars, and a safe gap, I’m in it. Filtering is at least 1/3 of the reason I got into motorcycling in the first place. Why do you even need to know what the junction looks like? You just don’t. Look as far ahead as you can see at ALL times and make a decision based on that. If you can’t get to the front, stop before you get there. If the traffic starts to move off, look for a gap opening up and slide into it (and wave or nod nicely if anyone lets you in) All it takes is practice. And not much at that.
    As TJ will agree, you never need to ‘know the road’ if you know what you’re doing. It makes no difference. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Why do you think a motorbike should be able to do something that has an impact on other road users?

If overtaking and slotting into a gap on front of you has ‘an impact’ on you then either you’re too close to the car in front or you’re not paying attention and haven’t seen the bike coming. 🙂

the road is sufficiently clear ahead
    road users are not beginning to overtake you
    * there is a suitable gap in front of the road user you plan to overtake
    Not force them to make a gap. Overtaking is YOUR choice and YOUR move, not someone elses.

OK. FORCE them to make a gap???? If you have to be forced then you are waaaaaay too close to the car in front. You do realise how little space a bike needs, don’t you? At, say, 50mph there should be plenty of room. Loads.

Ball’s back in your court I think! 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

If overtaking and slotting into a gap on front of you has ‘an impact’ on you then either you’re too close to the car in front or you’re not paying attention and haven’t seen the bike coming.

But then the following car would be too close to the motorbike if the gap was perfect. 🙄

daveh
    Free Member

It’s not a case of letting off the throttle – by them more than halving my space in front I have to brake

Ah yes, I can see it would be annoying if you only leave two bike lengths between you and the car in front.

Very often these moves scupper my own moves to overtake a car in front of me, meaning I’m then stuck for the next 5 miles waiting for clear visibility and the opportunity to move on.

Me thinks this might be the real reason.

When I did the manoeuvre you describe, I didn’t pull fully in. Back on to the correct side of the road but still to the right of the car in front. I did this as if it suddenly stopped dead then I’d go passed, not into the back, and also it has no effect on the car behind. That said, a two bite overtake would still be over with very quickly, any inconvenience would only be a matter of seconds. We should all really just relax and get along.

coffeeking
    Free Member

If overtaking and slotting into a gap on front of you has ‘an impact’ on you then either you’re too close to the car in front or you’re not paying attention and haven’t seen the bike coming.

No, there’s no blanket rule that says you must allow a bike to overtake (apart from in many bikers heads) – I will be leaving a space adequate and safe for my own stopping, if you fill part of it you affect me. I will have seen you coming and expect it, and therefore will drop back for safety. It doesn’t make it right that you should force me to do so.

Ah yes, I can see it would be annoying if you only leave two bike lengths between you and the car in front.

Not entirely sure where you get two bike lengths from, seems a bit odd and ill-thought out. Normally I leave enough gap to stop and if someone sneaks into the middle I then have to move back to the same gap again AND then the bike often slows down to re-gain their own gap.

Me thinks this might be the real reason.

When I did the manoeuvre you describe, I didn’t pull fully in. Back on to the correct side of the road but still to the right of the car in front. I did this as if it suddenly stopped dead then I’d go passed, not into the back, and also it has no effect on the car behind. That said, a two bite overtake would still be over with very quickly, any inconvenience would only be a matter of seconds. We should all really just relax and get along.

Me thinks you should stop attempting to second guess my intentions and reasons for irritation (despite the fact that they’re perfectly valid). I don’t care how you claim to do it and whether you think all bikers do it that way. They don’t. They very often force their way into a space and don’t just use the outside of the lane to hover and pass again. You might have better habits but most don’t.

And any way, hovering to the right of the lane is still filling the safe space I’ve left and requires me to drop back for YOUR safety whether your want me to or not.

rocketman
    Free Member

I have a very nippy high performance car.

I have one of those as well. It’s as fast as my R1 on some roads and sometimes it would be faster A->B if it wasn’t for all the fricken traffic

But if a motorbike passes me and slots in front I don’t mind easing off a touch.

If someone else is going faster than me good luck to them

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Coffeeking – when moving up a line of traffic like that I always look for the car that is attempting to overtake and let them go first in the next gap – overtaking them after they have completed their manoeuvre.

If you are not attempting to overtake then you should have more than the minimum braking distance so would not need to brake to let a bike in. Even when attempting to overtake hanging back a bit gives you better sightlines.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

this as well – you leave yourself an escape line up the middle of the road

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

No, there’s no blanket rule that says you must allow a bike to overtake (apart from in many bikers heads) – I will be leaving a space adequate and safe for my own stopping, if you fill part of it you affect me. I will have seen you coming and expect it, and therefore will drop back for safety. It doesn’t make it right that you should force me to do so.

So what you are saying is that nobody should overtake YOU, ever, yes? Just because YOU are “forced”* to drop back?

Well, to be frank, you can poke it sunshine, I’m passing (in car or bike) and there’s bugger all you can do about it. 🙂

* tabloid style over exaggerated hysterics

coffeeking
    Free Member

Coffeeking – when moving up a line of traffic like that I always look for the car that is attempting to overtake and let them go first in the next gap – overtaking them after they have completed their manoeuvre.

Glad you do, you’re not exactly common.

If you are not attempting to overtake then you should have more than the minimum braking distance so would not need to brake to let a bike in. Even when attempting to overtake hanging back a bit gives you better sightlines.

I shouldn’t need to have more distance as I should not be put in a position where I have to adapt to other peoples stupidity. Clearly I do have to, but what irritates me is the assumption that I should have to. Please don’t lecture me on overtaking, if I’m at a safe braking distance from a vehicle I’m going to overtake I’ve more than enough vision to see to overtake.

So what you are saying is that nobody should overtake YOU, ever, yes? Just because YOU are “forced”* to drop back?

No, feel free to overtake cleanly. Just don’t put me at risk by making me brake and adapt to your shite driving and avoid you, pretty simple and not exactly asking much.

As I say, turn it around and assume I’m in my car. I bazz past you, drift into the safe gap you left hanging on the white line and then pass the next car. I absolutely guarantee 95% of drivers and bike owners would have a whine abuot having me “slot” into the space.

“Slot” doesn’t soften it, it’s called cutting people up. And suggesting others should be more observant and adapt to you cutting people up doesn’t make it right.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I shouldn’t need to have more distance as I should not be put in a position where I have to adapt to other peoples stupidity

Right. Now we’re getting somewhere. You think overtaking (any overtaking) is stupid.

Please explain why overtaking is stupid.

coffeeking
    Free Member

ou think overtaking (any overtaking) is stupid.

No, not at all – that’s you putting words into my mouth. My point was, and always has been, that if you can’t overtake me because there is no clear space (maybe I’m planning an overtake, maybe I’ve just aborted one and I’m waiting for the next safe place), don’t attempt to. That’s what the law says, that’s what common sense says. It’s just not what some bike-owning nutters like to hear.

The whole point hinges around the space in front. If there’s not one there (for whatever reason) *bike owners try to make one by forcing in and blame the driver for not leaving the god-given space all bikers should be allowed. Nonsense. you adhere to the same rules as I do in a bike. If I come up behind a car and want to overtake but can’t because there’s 3-4-5 cars in a row and it’s too far to see, I don’t EXPECT people to move out of my way.

*many, to not generalise.

euain

Right. Now we’re getting somewhere. You think overtaking (any overtaking) is stupid.

Please explain why overtaking is stupid.

No PP, I think you’ll find he’s saying any overtaking when you end up in front of him is stupid 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

Those who drive with me will be well aware I’m perfectly happy to overtake and to let people overtake, be they car, bike, horse – makes no odds to me, if you can get there faster than me SAFELY then go for it. But don’t inconvenience and endanger me in the process, do it properly.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

that if you can’t overtake me because there is no clear space

But there IS a clear space. You were driving considerately and leaving a reasonable gap to the car in front which has left me ample space to slot into. Thankyou. But this will halve the space you have, so you’ll have to drop back a bit to maintain your considerate distance. Is that so hard? No. So we agree then. Lovely. 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

if I’m at a safe braking distance from a vehicle I’m going to overtake I’ve more than enough vision to see to overtake.

Being further back allows you to see farther and thus plan overtakes further ahead. A basic technique of what the police call “making effective progress” 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

But there IS a clear space. You were driving considerately and leaving a reasonable gap to the car in front which has left me ample space to slot into. Thankyou. But this will halve the space you have, so you’ll have to drop back a bit to maintain your considerate distance. Is that so hard? No. So we agree then. Lovely.

No, I was driving considerately and leaving a reasonable gap in front SO THAT I COULD STOP IF THEY DID, not so you could fit in there. I MAY have chosen to leave more room so you could fit in there, but it’s not a given, and it should be obvious, apparently it’s not.

Being further back allows you to see farther and thus plan overtakes further ahead. A basic technique of what the police call “making effective progress”

How far do you want to push that? 1/4 mile? Half mile? At what point does this become stupid? At what point do the returns diminish? If I have left a decent stopping distance I have more than sufficient vision to plan and execute an overtake in my quick car. I might need more in the slow diesel as it needs winding up to speed, in which case I’ll leave more gap and it’ll probably be filled by a tit on an R1 in a nanosecond 😀

edited: Missed my smiley

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Maths time

50mph is 73.33 feet per second according to my conversion app

We’ve all heard of the 2 second rule, yes? I.E. 2 seconds is a good gap to leave when following a car.

So in 2 seconds we cover 146 feet, which is, roundly speaking, 50 yards.

Is it acceptable for me to overtake (car or bike) and pull into that 50 yard gap?

I think it is.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Is it acceptable for me to overtake (car or bike) and pull into that 50 yard gap?

I think it is.

Why is acceptable for your to endanger me by forcably reducing my stopping distance so you can get somewhere quicker?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its not endangering you at all. 🙄

coffeeking
    Free Member

Why is it not? For the time when you’re between me and the car in front I’ve not got room to stop. You’ll die and I’ll have a damaged car, injuries and possible injur other folk if I take avoiding action.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

No, I was driving considerately and leaving a reasonable gap in front SO THAT I COULD STOP IF THEY DID, not so you could fit in there

So I need your permission, which you grant by leaving more space, to overtake you, yes?

Just so you don’t have to save a bit of fuel and back off the gas for a second or two?

I just need to get this clear so I understand, sorry.

coffeeking
    Free Member

So I need your permission, which you grant by leaving more space, to overtake you, yes?

Just so you don’t have to save a bit of fuel and back off the gas for a second or two?

I just need to get this clear so I understand, sorry.

Effectively, yes. By being the person behind in the queue, you take responsibility for your overtake. That’s the law. If the conditions are not safe (i.e. I’ve not left room, for whatever reason) you need to wait until it is safe. Of course being a biker you’re likely to be impatient and a bit dangerous so you’re likely to be angered by the suggestion that someone else might have some reason for not lettign you do whatever you like.

Either way, as the law stands YOU are responsible for your own actions and if your actions put others in danger (by reducing their safe distance) it’s not a clean overtake and you’re responsible for that reduction in safety. Even if you don’t like it and want to argue you’ve got a halo.

Countless times I’ve had to sit behind a queue of 5 cars trundling behind a tractor despite plenty of safe overtaking moves. It’s frustrating, but I have no right to go forcing my way up the queue by cutting people up and expecting them to deal with it. I have to act like an adult and have a bit of patience, waiting for a safe gap to open up either somewhere in the queue or find a straight where I can overtake all 6 participants.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 372 total)

The topic ‘Attention Motorcyclists…’ is closed to new replies.