Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • attention London pisscans
  • funkhouser
    Free Member

i work away in London, im always telling folk how good the night-life is in capital city, so a couple of mates coming down tomorrow for an afternoon session round town. they are kindda depending on me to show em a good time! pressures on.

they are staying in Shepards Bush but my patch is more the city/east end/Shoreditch/Liverpool st etc so weve agreed to meet in the middle. im automatically thinking Covent garden, Lamb & flag, Portahouse etc. maybe a wander up into Soho, dean st? – or if not maybe green park/Mayfair some right nice old boozers around there, or possibly Fitzrovia, round Charlotte street n’that…. i think they like the idea of Covent garden, but they want good boozers with workers rather than tourists, good vibe.

what do you think?

redstripe
    Free Member

Get a bank loan for booze prices

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Porterhouse? *Shudders*

CGs not a bad spot, if you pick ’em. Try the Harp as well as the Lamb’n’Slag. Also, if you’re in that part of town, be sure to try http://thecraftbeerco.com/pubs/coventgarden/
    See all those yummy beers on tap there?

Oh, and the spirits are pretty impressive too!

If they still have any of the Pappy Van Winkle bourbon in, get on it!

funkhouser
    Free Member

hmmm craft looks good. handy for TCR too. maybe meet there for a few then Alley Cat maybe, then filter down through soho?

funkhouser
    Free Member

btw, were aiming for 2pm onwards…

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Is the “Naughty” Nelson still a proper boozer with strippers or is it wall to wall table dances? If the former it needs a visit.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member
    titusrider
    Free Member

Book a table at mr foggs for the authentic tweed loving hipster experience 🙂

I joke but hey I loved it, remined me of the flashman papers books

TheBrick
    Free Member

Covent Garden can **** right off. Next you’ll be telling me they want to go to a Slug and lettuce then on to a O’Neils.

You could start of in Hamersmith @ the blue ancher then on into central London and take in some of.

Jerusalem Tavern, Farringdon
    Jeremy Bentham,
    Fitzroy tavern,
    Bricklayer Arms,
    Some nice pub on Grt Portland street, forget its name.
    The Lamb on Lamb’s Conduit Street,
    Curry on Drumand Street
    Bree Loiuse

then finish off with a rave up in Fabric, although it looks a bit shit this friday.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Of Course I nearly forgot nags head whitechapel. I don’t know if it is still going but it was a pound in the jar job.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Covent Garden can **** right off. Next you’ll be telling me they want to go to a Slug and lettuce then on to a O’Neils.

You could start of in Hamersmith @ the blue ancher then on into central London and take in some of.

Jerusalem Tavern, Farringdon
    Jeremy Bentham,
    Fitzroy tavern,
    Bricklayer Arms,
    Some nice pub on Grt Portland street, forget its name.
    The Lamb on Lamb’s Conduit Street,
    Curry on Drumand Street
    Bree Loiuse

then finish off with a rave up in Fabric, although it looks a bit shit this friday.

POSTED 38 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

They may need to start a bit earlier; give them a chance to drink themselves sober if they want to get into fabric.

* Those river Taxis have bars on board…

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Don’t forget to pop into Won Kei’s for a quick food stop. Essential for a beer fuelled outing!

TheBrick
    Free Member

give them a chance to drink themselves sober

Note I said some of! Pick and mix. Just anything to avoid Covent Garden!

mrl

Hix, dean street town house if you do central and have cash to burn. Or work you way along the river from Hammersmith, blue anchor, Crabtree, temperance ( bit c**p), white horse and then maybe hurlingham. Then taxi into to centre?

MrSmith
    Free Member

Don’t forget to pop into Won Kei’s for a quick food stop. Essential for a beer fuelled outing!

Also great for watching the waiters pick uneaten chunks of duck/chicken off the plates and throwing it back in the pot.
    😯
    Never been back.

Booze wise I would try the rake and market porter and the other proper beer pub on the corner (can’t remember the name) in borough market

DavidB
    Free Member

I had a nice few pints in The Harp this evening just a few minutes from Charing Cross.Met Mr 100 climbs in there.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

whats your problem with covent garden? had some great afternoons knocking about there… just keep away out of the tourist spots Nags Head and the Punch & Judy etc.

funkhouser
    Free Member

I know all them places TheBrick, I worked in Farringdon for a while. cracking pubs but not essentially what were after today!

gotta go collect them from Shepards Bush have suggested meeting in the Defectors Weld? although i have just noticed a new Brew Dog has opened! im very partial to their wares.

anyway, we can get the central line to TCR from here. so Soho / Cov gdn is the prefered location…

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

The Harp is a must if you are central – good beer – really good range
    There’s a reason why its been the CAMRA pub of the year a few years back
    Admittedly the workers may be the orchestra from ENOs rear door..

curiousyellow
    Free Member

If they’re in SheBu then why not go out in Clapham Junction? Close by and a lot of decent pubs round that way.

jambalaya
    Free Member

If you MUST go drinking in Green Park Mayfair (I used to work in the area) then best bets are

Shepherds Market – a few pubs but all quite forgettable IMO, area is “interesting”, quite a few reataurants (lots of Lebanese, some really quite good but all pricey. Burger place ok). Punch Bowl a few streets away, Guy Richie owned pub. Or Lancashire Court closer to Bond St – couple of decent bars (ie below Mayfair Pizza co) – always busy with some quite decent looking west end scenery !

Shepherds Bush – I only have a beer in the pub next to the Empire before a gig, the pubs on Brook Green are OK – Brrok Green Inn/Queens Head, more a mid week spots IMO than Friday night session places

EDIT: OP just seen your post, yes find some places off/away from the main square in Covent Garden, the little streets around theatre land – eg Longacre/Dury Lane

piha
    Free Member

Forget all the fancy watering holes mentioned above and get yerself down to The Swan in Stockwell for some booze fuelled fun. Not too many posh tourists will be in the Swan, plenty of drinking and probably a band too. You won’t forget a night in the Swan!

tonyd

Ah the Swan in Stockwell. I was in halls with a french lad who used to disappear for a few days at a time, he was drinking his way round London and investigating the more interesting side of the capital. One of his favourite haunts was the Swan.

I’ve been out of London too long to make any worthwhile suggestions, other than perhaps the Rainbow sports bar for last knockings? (assuming it is still there)

ericemel
    Free Member

Brew dog in shep bush is a good shout.

http://www.brewdog.com/bars/shepherds-bush

PJM1974
    Free Member

I don’t know if it is still going but it was a pound in the jar job.

I got dragged into one of those places near Euston for a stag do in 2004. I was duly rewarded with the spottiest backside I’ve ever seen in my life, I felt like whipping out a biro and trying to join the dots. Awful place, felt embarrassed for the girls there surrounded by sleazy blokes and the floor of the loos was covered in tissues.

Can’t beat Won Kei – although the service is famously curt, the food is ace.

And The Harp FTW!

Andy_B

Hix, dean street town house if you do central and have cash to burn. Or work you way along the river from Hammersmith, blue anchor, Crabtree, temperance ( bit c**p), white horse and then maybe hurlingham. Then taxi into to centre?

I would skip temperance and work the Lazy Fox in Fulham into that mix assuming Chelsea aren’t playing at home.

For an early afternoon start, I’d choose Brewdog over Defectors Weld to start off with.

Don’t forget some drunken Boris bikes for the longer sections.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I got dragged into one of those places near Euston for a stag do in 2004. I was duly rewarded with the spottiest backside I’ve ever seen in my life, I felt like whipping out a biro and trying to join the dots. Awful place, felt embarrassed for the girls there surrounded by sleazy blokes and the floor of the loos was covered in tissues.

That part of the appeal of those places, the are awful and honest. Strip clubs are all sleazy and only a small step away from prostitution these places don’t try and be something posh they jsut show you the naked truth of of the where you are. I don’t like strip clubs but a pound in the jar place is at least honest.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘attention London pisscans’ is closed to new replies.