• This topic has 72 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Mark.
Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Attention Ian Pinder: The wheelset I bought have gritty bearings
  • oldgit
    Free Member

How much are these new?
    I mean over a year old, if youre spending that on old wheels you really need to be asking questions.
    Fine is like a shrug of the shoulders, add the age of the parts then fine sounds erm err fine.
    I’m light on my kit, but I’d expect there to be wear in the bearings after a years use, if Ian had said they were new bearings I’d be surprised to find them a bit gritty sounding but I wouldn’t be bothered.
    I’d say nows the time to learn how to fit new ones.
    Is Stans rim strip like rim tape? you know me and my backward technology.

aP
    Free Member

It’s lucky that his employer deals in finance people as they’re obviously not terribly well versed in Inglish. I hadn’t realised that some people really put work emails on public forums.

bigjim

If I was spending £350 on a set of 2nd hand wheels i would expect them to be faultless

I would never expect any second hand item containing moving mechanical parts to be faultless unless it is still boxed and unused, nevermind a mountain bike part that has most likely been used in demanding conditions.

Without maligning the OP, if you have to get a shop to fit Stan’s rimstrip for you, you’re the sort of person who really shouldn’t be buying SH stuff

I think they saw him coming!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tragically1969
    Free Member

just had a txt from ian……..he is on his way to the op’s house to deliver a huuuge portion of fist pie……..

Brilliant ! Let us know how that goes !

oldgit
    Free Member

I always wondered who it was riding their bike in this stuff, it’s that bloomin Ian Pinder that’s who.

soobalias
    Free Member

im not sure a fisting is gonna fix this.

2wheels1guy
    Free Member

You emailed on friday, you do know it’s only monday now?
    People go away for weekends you know.
    Sounds like you have more money than sense if you go to the LBS to fit rim strip on £350 wheels.
    Do you get the LBS to pump your tyres too?
    Starting a thread is a bit nobbish.
    Chill out, i’m sure Ian will get back to you.

scaredypants

Surely that’s for the buyer to delve deeper in order to find out, no?

*gets out blacklist*

If i was in any doubt about the wording of an advert i would question it and get the seller to clarify. If you don’t surely it’s a sold-as-seen item.

But there is no doubt, they’re fine, and if OP had asked about them he’d presumably have been told exactly that. All that’s in doubt for me is exactly how “unfine” they are.

oldgit
    Free Member

im not sure a fisting is gonna fix this

No, putting cotton wool in your ears is a better way of stopping them sounding a bit gritty.

Shandy
    Free Member

So is everybody defending the guy who mis-sold the wheels and then hung up on the buyer and didn’t bother contacting him again, knowing there was a problem?

ojom
    Free Member

I am struggling to work out why people are threatening to fist each other into next week!

ton

😯

wwaswas

fist each other into next week

sounds like a pain in the bum.

letmetalktomark

thebikechain – Member

I am struggling to work out why people are threatening to fist each other into next week!

Pervert! 😆 😆 😆

oldgit
    Free Member

I think we’ve established that they haven’t been mis-sold, and that fine doesn’t mean perfect.
    So no problem.

ojom
    Free Member

Thundercats!!! HOOOO!

oldgit
    Free Member

Thundercats!!! HOOOO!

Have you been on the G & T85

Shandy
    Free Member

I think we’ve established that they haven’t been mis-sold, and that fine doesn’t mean perfect.
    So no problem.

So if somebody sold you something that wasn’t as expected, and then refused to answer your calls and emails to discuss the matter, you’d be happy enough?

Stoner
    Free Member

then refused to answer your calls and emails to discuss the matter,

OP:

I sent you an email on Friday informing you about the bearings but you have not yet responded. I have also called you but we got cut off after I announced myself and you are now on voicemail

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/a-suprise-5-days-off-what-should-i-do

I’m thinking of trekking up to scotland and getting some skiing in preperation for my alps trip next week.

cant imagine why he might not be in phone contact or email, can you?

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

im not sure a fisting is gonna fix this

Have all the mods gone on holiday, this thread wouldn’t have got past the first page last week – let alone page two and the talk of fisting and delving deeper….. 😳

soobalias
    Free Member

so long as the STW regulars pointed out my error, i would be more than happy.

*passes out G&T85’s*

poisonspider
    Free Member

Other than the two individuals involved, no-one really knows what’s gone on.

If the bearings are genuinely knackered then it should have been made clear from the outset and the seller ought to put his hand up to it and sort it out (ie a refund).

If on the other hand (and if I had to make a bet, this would be where my money is), the buyer is about as mechanically minded as my 5 year old and has been fed a line by a shop mechanic. Instead of trying to resolve this sensibly he has resorted to flaming the seller on a forum. Shame on him, very poor form. However, clearly he’s a little on the dim side to have posted his phone number and work email also so it is only to be expected.

ton

looks like loads of you are gonna get some fist pie now, what with stoners explanation of why ian is uncontactable…………. 😆

Joe

then refused to answer your calls and emails to discuss the matter,

OP:

I sent you an email on Friday informing you about the bearings but you have not yet responded. I have also called you but we got cut off after I announced myself and you are now on voicemail

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/a-suprise-5-days-off-what-should-i-do

I’m thinking of trekking up to scotland and getting some skiing in preperation for my alps trip next week.

cant imagine why he might not be in phone contact or email, can you?

priceless.

backhander
    Free Member

Mr Pinder should be given a fair window of opportunity, which should be longer than a weekend IMO.
    WRT the condition of the wheels, well it depends on how gritty they are which is something none of us know.
    Regardless, this is an unfair way to resolve seeing as Ian Pinder isn’t here to defend himself. This is for those two to resolve (with or without fist pie) 😀

Mister-P
    Free Member

Surely it should be “the wheelset I bought HAS gritty bearings”?

oldgit
    Free Member

Pretty much so, but that’s my take on buying secondhand year old consumable items.

I’ve just bought some forks, lovely they are. The seller said the poploc was intermitant, but actually I’ve never got the poploc to work. Never called him back because I knew I could sort them.
    I think you need to build that in when buying parts that wear.

ojom
    Free Member

If on the other hand (and if I had to make a bet, this would be where my money is), the buyer is about as mechanically minded as my 5 year old and has been fed a line by a shop mechanic

We haven’t even had Ian’s side of the story yet. Let’s not even go into guessing what the mechanic thinks 😯

Anyway, *sips G & T85*, back to the main crux of the issue…. Pies and closed hands.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I miss you Mark. 🙁

ojom
    Free Member

Miss you too. My desktop is our jumping pic so i see you every day if that’s any consolation. Happy Times.

scaredypants

So no problem.

Yeh, when my doc told me I’d be fine in a week I knew instinctively that what he meant was that my knee would make a grating noise whenever I bent it 😕

Stoner
    Free Member

Miss you too. My desktop is our jumping pic so i see you every day if that’s any consolation

get a room, girls.

Mark

There’s so much wrong with this thread…

Hmm.

I’m closing it as it’s a personal paging thread and they aren’t allowed.

But also, it’s mightily inappropriate to use the forum as a means to not just get in touch with someone but to air your personal dealings with another forum user who has not been in touch for a few days.

Direct communication is always the best option. Don’t use our forum for personal communication just because that’s failed for a couple of days.

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Attention Ian Pinder: The wheelset I bought have gritty bearings’ is closed to new replies.