• This topic has 72 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Mark.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Attention Ian Pinder: The wheelset I bought have gritty bearings
  • rnewell1973
    Free Member

Ian

After I bought your wheels I took them to the LBS to get some stan’s rim strip fitted. They pointed out the bearings on both wheels feel gritty and the freehub is very pitted. Feel free to call ‘Head for the Hills’ in Dorking directly to check. Speak with Dan the owner.

I sent you an email on Friday informing you about the bearings but you have not yet responded. I have also called you but we got cut off after I announced myself and you are now on voicemail. I have sent another email offering to meet you half way between our houses so I can demonstrate the gritty bearings so you don’t think I’m trying it on.

I spoke to the importer and they confirmed the bearings should be silky smooth, so they definitely need cleaning out or to have the bearings replaced (£68 + labour).

You seemed like a nice chap so I doubt you knew about the bearings but all the same I am concerned about paying anything above the £350 I already paid you.

Please contact me so we can discuss.

Thanks
    Rich

rnewell1973

rnewell@walkerhamill.com

wwaswas

*pulls up chair*

Stoner
    Free Member

thank god for that. I thought it was getting far too dull in here this morning.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Why would anybody put their real mobile phone number and email address on a public forum, you must be mad…..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I bought a wheel off here, came with gritty bearings and a replacement set (presumably he noticed as he was packing them) , which were the wrong size. Life happens.

On the plus side I replaced them with SKF ones so they should now outlast the whe wheel!

£68? What wheels are they, even a full set of good bearings for my wheels doesn’t usualy cost more than £20-£30, £50 if they’re SKF.

uplink
    Free Member

Now look what you’ve done

I was just about to start doing some work

Stoner
    Free Member

Why would anybody put their real mobile phone number and email address on a public forum, you must be mad…..

for every net-savvy 41 year old, there’s a 37 year old in a dunce hat praps?

wwaswas

from the original ad;

the hubs are just over a year old, the bearing are fine.

I’d be more than a bit pee’d off if I was rnewell1973 as well.

soobalias
    Free Member

surely thats not his actual phone number

*rings*

“please can you confirm your account details and mothers maiden name/secret word”

manyverygraciousdearestthanks and kindestrespects

MBolo Nwanga

EDIT: last weeks super keen, work experience moderators would have pulled this by now for being a ‘paging’ thread.

br
    Free Member

for every net-savvy 41 year old, there’s a 37 year old in a dunce hat praps?

He does work for a recruitment agency, so a ‘failed’ Estate Agent at best…

clubber
    Free Member

‘Fine’ is an interesting word. Does it mean functionally fine (which they may well have been even if they weren’t perfectly smooth), perfect, alright, will work for a year, etc?

I’ve known of wheels with bearings which were ‘fine’ AFAIC said to be needing replacement by a shop because they weren’t perfectly smooth though pitted surfaces in this case doesn’t sound great.

Either way, Ian should talk to you and try and agree an outcome.

Dougal
    Free Member

These wheels:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/industry-nine-wheelset-on-new-stans-arch-rims-qr-rear-15mm-front

Considering what they are, £350 even if you have to pay £70 for new bearings seems reasonable. Fine to me means the wheels go round. It also sounds like it took the shop to notice the bearings being rough, and wanting to make more money out of you, showed you the tiny amount of roughness in them.

On the other hand, I wouldn’t touch i9 wheels with a bargepole. Ordinary spokes over here please!

Solo
    Free Member

Really ?, are you going to call him now ?.

The last thing I’d do is call a number I wasn’t invited to, whether it be posted on a forum or anywhere.

Stoner
    Free Member

I spoke to the importer and they confirmed the bearings should be silky smooth

That’s odd, last time I spoke to an importer he said that his bearings should be as rough and graunchy as a pound of gravel in a blender. Arent they all like that?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I dont know Ian Pinder, but hope that he continues to ignore you. I know I would.

Contribute much to the forum do you?

tragically1969
    Free Member

Really ?, are you going to call him now ?.

The last thing I’d do is call a number I wasn’t invited to, whether it be posted on a forum or anywhere.

you might not might not but every tom, dick and harry spambot the world over might……

wwaswas

I’m not sure that’s relevant?

‘Fine’ to me means – no obvious signs of wear. ‘Gritty’ would mean – they need changing.

the-muffin-man

Won’t those be cartridge bearings in those hubs? If so a bit of grittyness is sod-all to worry about, and perhaps your LBS is taking the urine at £68 for a few of bearings!!

clubber
    Free Member

I’ll admit that I’d expect bearings described as ‘fine’ to be pretty smooth though I’d accept them not being perfectly smooth as it makes sweet Fred Adams (since I haven’t a clue whether the letters that make up the Football Association’s acronymn would be considered inside or outside the rules) difference in the real world.

I’d also question taking the opinion of a shop who replaced bearings based on my experiences of things that shops will claim need replacing.

If I was Ian, I’d ask for them to be sent back and would refund you (possibly with some negociation on postage depending on how they really are).

Jammy111
    Free Member

i bought pedals of ian and the bearings are fine, they were nicely packaged in a million sandwich bags as well. Bit harsh posting a thread up after only a few days of trying to get in contact with him…

Xan
    Free Member

No offence but I would be really hacked off if you contacted me like this. To leave 2 days over a weekend for an email to be replied to is not much time. Most people I know only check their personal email every few days.

As for Gritty bearing, take them for a second opinion to another LBS. Dont mention the issues and see if they come forward with the same independent assesment. My thoughts are a clean up and a bit of grease will sort out this. If they have been sitting idle for a while and could just be a little dry.

geoffj

Good luck with getting it sorted, but I suspect your LBS may be trying to take advantage. Fine does not mean perfect.

nonk
    Free Member

I’m not sure that’s relevant?

i reckon it is yknow.
    if he did he would be more chilled about it as he would know that ian is a regular on here and allways seems sound.

Xan
    Free Member

EDIT

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/a-suprise-5-days-off-what-should-i-do

Sfrom here you will see that he has mentioned going away last week, so definatley being a little unfair in my opinion!!!

JonR
    Free Member

No offence but I would be really hacked off if you contacted me like this. To leave 2 days over a weekend for an email to be replied to is not much time. Most people I know only check their personal email every few days.

As for Gritty bearing, take them for a second opinion to another LBS. Dont mention the issues and see if they come forward with the same independent assesment. My thoughts are a clean up and a bit of grease will sort out this. If they have been sitting idle for a while and could just be a little dry.

What he said, if someone who doesn’t really post on the bike forum only came on it to moan about a bike part sale after such a small amount of time cos he couldn’t get in touch with me and dragged my name through the mud I’d consider hanging him out to dry because he had done the same to me. Well over the top.

cynic-al
    Free Member

the hubs are just over a year old, the bearing are fine

I think it depends on how rough the bearings are…a little gritty then maybe whine a bit…wrecked then seller should contribute to replacements.

I’d normally say 2 days is too little but if he’s clearly being ignored then I think it’s fair enough.

Joe

A bit gritty? What do you expect. They are a second hand set of wheels. The bearings are ‘fine’ if they are ‘abit gritty’.

That you had to go into head for the hills to have a rim strip fitted says it all really.

Get off your high horse. If you’re willing to spend £350 on a set of wheels…buy new ones.

Joe

the hubs are just over a year old, the bearing are fine

I think it depends on how rough the bearings are…a little gritty then maybe whine a bit…wrecked then seller should contribute to replacements.

Cynic-Al said what I wanted to say in a much more polite and sensible way.

singlespeedstu

You had to take your wheels to a shop to have a rimstrip fitted?

😆

I’d say they saw you coming and thought they could get a bit extra cash out of you.

Joe

My final post. £68+ labour for wheel bearings? Are they made of gold. Find a different shop.

nonk
    Free Member

stu in just get it said shocker 😆

oldgit
    Free Member

If only my wheels lasted a year!
    Over a year old, straight and true, run well enough to ride then that’s satisfactory for a set of old secondhand wheels….satisfactory = fine.

scaredypants

and the freehub is very pitted

notches in the splines, or something else
    (did you get (decent) photos before buying ?)

does the quote include a new one of these too ?

bigjim

typical estate agent all-guns-blazing response!

wwaswas

well, google are ranking this page quite high if you search for rnewell and walker hamill….

scaredypants

TBH though, If I was buying expensive s/h stuff and the seller actually commented on a component, I’d expect them to be clear about it and so “fine” to me in that context implies free of defects. “fine but slightly gritty” would be far better than “fine” if that’s the true situation.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

OH MY GOD! ROUGH WHEEL BEARINGS! I’M AMAZED YOUR WORLD HASN’T ENDED!

swoosh
    Free Member

TBH though, If I was buying expensive s/h stuff and the seller actually commented on a component, I’d expect them to be clear about it and so “fine” to me in that context implies free of defects. “fine but slightly gritty” would be far better than “fine” if that’s the true situation.

Surely that’s for the buyer to delve deeper in order to find out, no? If i was in any doubt about the wording of an advert i would question it and get the seller to clarify. If you don’t surely it’s a sold-as-seen item.

If I was spending £350 on a set of 2nd hand wheels i would expect them to be faultless otherwise you may as well buy new and know they will be A-OK, but that’s because £350 is a lot of money to me, but it might not be to someone else.

nickf
    Free Member

Without maligning the OP, if you have to get a shop to fit Stan’s rimstrip for you, you’re the sort of person who really shouldn’t be buying SH stuff. I agree that unless otherwise disclosed you’d expect everything to be in good order, but it’s unreasonable to expect it to be as new.

As it is, £68 sounds a lot for bearings; I’d expect to source and fit them myself. If I wasn’t capable of that I’d probably be buying new, as getting a bike shop to source and fit components is about the most expensive way I can think to do it.

ton

just had a txt from ian……..he is on his way to the op’s house to deliver a huuuge portion of fist pie…….. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Attention Ian Pinder: The wheelset I bought have gritty bearings’ is closed to new replies.