Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Attention all builders – costs query
  • tinkertaylor1981
    Free Member

Before I potentially waste a builder’s time in giving me a quote, I wanted to take advantage of your collective knowledge and experience…

I’m looking to move house in the near future and need accomodation outside of the main dwelling. Ive looked at houses with holiday cottages already up and running though this clearly involves a premium to the price. I’ve seen two propeties today with good outbuildings ready for ‘conversion’ but don’t really have a clue what this would cost.

In this case, the building was purpose built 3 years ago with the intention of being used as cottages though not fully completed. Externally it’s done – walls, roof, windows, gutters etc – though there are currently 3 garage doors which we’d seek to glaze. Internally there’s electric and water but no heating (main property next door has gas and oil). The first floors joists are in but no stairs, boards etc. in all, we’d be looking to put in a kitchen and living room downstairs along with a bathroom and two bedrooms upstairs.

So, any ideas on how much I’m looking at? The vendor was keen to tell me that the bulk of the work was done but, having no experience of this, I’m not so sure.

Any advice much appreciated!

iolo
    Free Member

I would suggest you get someone in to produce a schedule of works detailing what needs doing.
    Going in blind will be a nightmare for you. The builder will just give you all in price and you’ll have no idea about omissions once works start.
    Then all builders will price the works equally and if there are any extras (there will be) you can get extra quotes before doing anything.
    How much will it cost? Who knows. But you’ll have a better idea if you do it via a bill of quantities.

dyls

We need more info whats required!

Oil tank, oil powered boiler, pipework plus rads for a three bedroom house is around £6k

You can buy ready built staircases for around £750, allow £250 to fit unless its awkward.

What about plastering, painting, insulating, etc?

Plywood for flooring is cheap, you could do that yourself.

Allow £2.5k for a bathroom, £750 for a plumber to fit – £300 for tiles and £300 for a tiler

Kitchen say £5k (depends on what you want, but £5 k will get you the appliances as well, allow £1k to fit. Is the electrics in for the kitchen stove etc?

cvilla

Also clarify what the use will be for this outbuilding and will it need planning permission /change of use/ building regulations, then what standard, certificates for domestic use, heating, insulation, SAP, electrical testing, etc, etc.
    Even if you do not want this all now, when you come to sell, or let or mortgage against it the paperwork will be required, or worth considering.
    If purpose built do you have all the paperwork in place, sometimes built as ‘shell and core’ but you still need to get through current regulations at the time you fit-out. So an 2nd point, clarify the works and schedule out, do plans so builders know what to price.
    Enjoy the process, but do not under estimate the costs.

tinkertaylor1981
    Free Member

Yes to all of the above!

Walls are currently stone or block work. No internal walls ‘upstairs’ yet.

Need heating system, full kitchen and bathroom, wiring (sockets and lights currently in place to suit the garage space), plaster, paint, flooring, insulation plus the glazing for the above mentioned garage doors. other windows and doors are in place already.

Change form 30k, or am I being optimistic?

dyls

Ive spent about £60k renovating a bigish 3 bed house, from bare stonework. Includes new bathroom, kitchen, plumbing, wiring, floors, plastering, 3x staircases, part double glazing 2x windows and 2x doors) & decorating.

Things like carpets etc are surprisingly costly.

nealglover
    Free Member

Change form 30k, or am I being optimistic?

I would say very optimistic, from what you have said it needs.

tinkertaylor1981
    Free Member

Thanks Dyls, that gives me a rough idea.

I’d guess the floor space would be less in this case so that might bring it down. I’ve also got the option to do part now and part later, though I know I wouldn’t be happy unless it was all done properly.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Attention all builders – costs query’ is closed to new replies.