Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Attaching cameras to helmets….stickers screws or straps??
  • rockhopper70

I’m just cobbling together a camera mount for a full face helmet and wonder the best way of attaching it on.
    How do gopro do it?

Northwind

Gopro use a fat 3M adhesive pad… Or strap-ons. The sticky pad seems like a deeply stupid idea, I was just waiting for it to fall off but then I rode too close to a tree on the last innerleithen enduro at speed and caught the camera, damn near pulled my head off, camera stayed on. So now I trust it!

The straps work well too but are a bit less solid. I’m pretty sure that if I’d used self-tappers they’d have ripped out in that tree incident, the shell of a bike helmet isn’t all that strong (also, it generally feels like a bad thing to do doesn’t it?)

stavromuller
    Free Member

Give cable ties a go, cheap and reliable

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

velcro / o rings. You want the camera to come off the helmet in an impact. Not screws.

rockhopper70

TJ…will velcro reallt hold fast or is it going to “jiggle”

rapiddescent

I use velcro for most of the bullet cam fittings (on bike frame as well) and they work well.

petetheplumber
    Free Member

With ties or velcro use a blob of blue tack
    Between cam and helmet. Acts as a shock and
    Stops any movement.

ampthill

I think TJ has a good point. Its got to break free on impact or you could really hurt your self on impact. I’m thinking extra rotation and possible kneck wrenching.

Northwind

I’d not want it to break away in that way except as a last resort but you definately don’t want a totally solid mount. If you use the Gopros as an example they designed in a fair bit of articulation into the mounts which makes a big difference, and a level of designed-in weakness to allow them to fail in really bad impacts. For a DIY mount that’s going to be pretty hard to do though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Attaching cameras to helmets….stickers screws or straps??’ is closed to new replies.