Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Athertons – winning.
  • Lifer
    Free Member

http://athertonracing.co.uk/2012/06/27/dan-atherton-wins-maxi-avalanche/

http://dirt.mpora.com/news/rachel-atherton-wins-mont-sainte-anne-results.html

Plus Gee is 4th in the Overall standings.

Who was saying recently that the Athertons had ‘had their day’ or similar?

cookeaa

Lets be fair here Gee’s been the main attraction in the atherton team for a while and (like all other Male WC DHers) he’s having to contend with Gwinn, IMO Gees still a bit short of Minnaars level of consistency…

Dans all but jacked in DH hasn’t he? more focused on Enduro type events, good that he’s doing well, would be interested to see how it pans out long term…

And While Rachel won MSA She’s still well behind Ragot in the overall standings isn’t she…

Don’t get me wrong they are still a Top ten race team (Top 5 even) but I can’t see an Atherton winning the WC overall this year, Rachel might make 3rd overall but she’s got some proper competition and has to stay injury free… and Gee will have a tough time finishing top 5 IMO…

Its not so much that they’ve dropped off its that they have more serious competition at the minute…

Generally I’m not so keen on the Hero worship that seems to go with DH for some reason, pretty sure all the former Hill Fanbois from a a couple of years ago are now merrily **** off over Gwinn or Hart… Till the next fastest rider comes along…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

They are so dull though.

atlaz
    Free Member

There’s something about a lot of the DH riders and their “extreme sports” stereotypical attitude/lifestyle which makes me switch off. That said though, I doubt I’m actually their target market so I doubt they give a shit 🙂

mintimperial

And While Rachel won MSA She’s still well behind Ragot in the overall standings isn’t she…

Nope. She’s in 2nd, only 40 points back, Ragot on 740, Atherton on 700. She won at Val Di Sole too, having a good season so far.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

and she missed south africa race!

cookeaa

Actually having looked up the results so far RA has done much better than I thought up to now, she’ll probably take enough points at the next round to overtake Ragot… So I take it back.

But Gee is well behind Minnaar, not that any of it matters they’re all just fighting for Gwinns leftovers now…
    Of course should Gwinn come a cropper at Windham this weekend Minnaar is the only one in any sort of a position to capitalise…

Hill is having a much better season than I thought too, I really should look at the overall tables more often…

mintimperial

and she missed south africa race!

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Very good riding then!

doris
    Free Member

Gee is doing alright i reckon, coming back from breaking his leg before val de sole, then having this “moment” in practice and still getting back on to race to 4th place. The problem for everyone else at the moment is Gwin is on fire!!

gee’s crash

FuzzyWuzzy

Props to Gee for doing stuff like Red Bull Rampage as well rather than just DH racing.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I think Ragot is showing more consistency as well as bravery and raw talent this season. But Rach is storming and I hope she does the double; it will make up for the terrible time she’s had with her injuries.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Rachel is only 40 points back IIRC and she missed round one…..

chakaping
    Free Member

Gee is doing alright i reckon, coming back from breaking his leg before val de sole, then having this “moment” in practice and still getting back on to race to 4th place.

+1

Very impressed! But can’t help wondering if it’s just bad luck or he’s pushing too hard to catch up with Gwin.

Minnarr doesn’t seem to keep knackering himself.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

The Athertons are doing very well, especially considering the potentially career-limiting/ending injuries that Rachel and Dan have had.

This season will be interesting for both women’s and men’s WCs – Atherton vs Ragot; Atherton vs Gwin vs Minaar, with a resurgent Sam Hill and Hart/Bryceland/Hannah pushing hard….

legend
    Free Member

Very impressed! But can’t help wondering if it’s just bad luck or he’s pushing too hard to catch up with Gwin.

Pushing too hard in practise or at a race Gwin wasn’t at?

alpin
    Free Member

Pushing too hard in practise or at a race Gwin wasn’t at?

gwin was present at the weekend when gee nearly ruined himself.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

It’s been awesome seeing Hill come back to form. Sure, he may not be bothering the likes of Gwin atm, but it’s such a pleasure to watch him ride.

AlexSimon

I don’t find Gee boring to watch at all – surely his red bull rampage results speak volumes!
    Good to see Dan doing well, it’ll be nice to see how he gets on in a couple of weeks at the mega.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

It’s been awesome seeing Hill come back to form. Sure, he may not be bothering the likes of Gwin atm, but it’s such a pleasure to watch him ride

+1

philfive
    Free Member

the athertons are a top 3 collective and they are a great brand, that alone makes them winners. simple really.

i’ve heard Tracey Moseley is almost in semi retirement?

Lifer
    Free Member

I think Moseley is racing Enduro this season?

honourablegeorge

She won a Gravity Enduro in Ireland the other day

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Did Tracy Moseley race Fort Bill? I know that was one of the few DH events she was due to race this season.

AlexSimon

Yep, she came 5th

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Google “Gee Atherton Mont St Anne crash” to see what happened in practice. It’s amazing he did so well in the race after that.

dingabell
    Free Member

I quite enjoyed watching “The Athertons” series on You Tube. Seems to me that they’ve found the right mix of racing results, while still being able to have a crack in a field full of dirt jumps, or setting light to a van load of fireworks. Mind you, this was with Commencal, so who knows how things will change at GT? Dan always seemed to be the slight under-achiever when it came to race results, but after breaking his neck it’s a miracle he can walk let alone be winning enduros. Good luck to them. Nice to see some Brits (including Danny Hart) still sticking it up em. Not many sports in which you can still say that.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Am pleased for them. I quite like the family thing they have going on, it might not be cool in many people’s eys but it brings a certain something to younger people interested in MTB.

It is also a huge boost for GT that their riders are getting good coverage. I think a great marketing move by them, can only imagine sales rocket due to the press the Athertons get.

Will get sneered at for saying so, but Dan’s bike used for the enduro’s looks great…

AlexSimon

I keep thinking – “ooh a GT that’s good, I bet that’s good value then” and then looking at the prices and thinking “wtf?”

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Athertons – winning.’ is closed to new replies.