Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 117 total)
  • Athertons say bye to GT
  • darrenspink
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/3kKN6f0GNCE[/video]

Off to Trek maybe?

Speeder

That’s a real shame as I think they’ve been really good for each other.

They’ve certainly done a huge amount for the development of the shape of the bikes and it hasn’t hurt GT’s somewhat tarnished image at all.

Heard a rumour they were going to a German brand but that was a while ago.

chakaping
    Free Member

The Gwin/YT thread suggests Trek and Pinkbike gossip also reflects that.

And it is the most logical move IMO – biggest team in need of consistent top tier performers.

chakaping
    Free Member
    Stevelol
    Free Member

Pinkbike comment made me lol

This is because Gee’s career is going downhill fast.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I must be a bit thick, but can someone explain that ‘ream_tumors’ thing to me please?

Athertons purchase a french rock and take it to Los Angeles.. and then decide to (not) do enduro?

Errr… 😕

bombjack
    Free Member

Shame, thought they suited each other quite well, and like Speeder said, they’ve helped up GT’s image quite a bit. Doubt they were cheap though, their pit set-up was like the old days of DH with the mahoosive Winnebago / trailer deal.
    Will be interesting to see who GT goes for next, swap with Book M at Trek?

P-Jay
    Free Member

no_eyed_deer – Member

I must be a bit thick, but can someone explain that ‘ream_tumors’ thing to me please?

Athertons purchase a french rock and take it to Los Angeles.. and then decide to (not) do enduro?

Errr…

First one seems to be the Athertons saying ‘goodbye’ to someone Dutch (with a dog) Martin Maes I guess.

Don’t know who ‘LA’ is, but they’re French and off to Canyon?

4th is the Athertons going for a Trek.

Final is someone with a square head giving up Enduro for Downhill maybe Richie Rude

I’ve never really understood the Team Rumors thing.

Dark-Side

First one is Max Commencal no? Is the last one Dan going back to DH?

lemonysam
    Free Member

First one seems to be the Athertons saying ‘goodbye’ to someone Dutch (with a dog) Martin Maes I guess.

Isn’t Martin Maes Belgian?

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s not all about the Athertons.

The first (or last) one looks like Ritchie Rude (note the bad language) going out on a high and returning to DH.

The French rock to Canyon is tough. Some suggestions in comments that its the Lapierre team moving to Canyon (I thought it was a factory set-up though!).

Could be Vergier? Unlikely to be Bruni I’d have thought, even less likely to be Barel making a comeback.

lemonysam
    Free Member

La Rock -> Lapierre

(pierre means stone, it’s a st peter thing I think)

bombjack
    Free Member

(with a dog)

Brook Macdonald (Bulldog) to GT then. I’m bloody clairvoyant this morning.
    Lotto numbers anyone?
    BJ

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Could it be the guy just likes to doodle?

DanW
    Free Member

Lapierre team to Canyon bikes

EDIT: Beaten to it by miles!

atlaz
    Free Member

Final is someone with a square head giving up Enduro for Downhill maybe Martin Maes – didn’t he race a DH race this year and do very well?

Suggestion is that’s Richie Rude going back to DH after winning the EWS

P-Jay
    Free Member

lemonysam – Member

Isn’t Martin Maes Belgian?

So he is, are there any Dutch DH/Endruo riders?

chakaping
    Free Member

Aneeke Beerten – but she’s been improving and seems cosy on Spesh.

And they’d probably have put a skirt or long hair on the pic…

thepodge
    Free Member

Barel making a comeback.

He told Pinkbike last week in a front page interview he’s sticking with Canyon to develop their bikes, he’ll still race but not international stuff, more just for fun

Suggestion is that’s Richie Rude going back to DH after winning the EWS

Yeti getting back into DH? would be a bold move to jump team and discipline from the world champ position

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be surprised if Barel helps with the Canyon dh team in a coach/team manager /tutor role.

Sam Dale to GT as well… No Trek Factory racing. Graves to Specialized. Hope Richie Rude doesn’t drop Enduro. Be a crying shame. He does seem to be enjoying his time on the DH bike at the start of the off season though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Graves to Specialized.

Biggest change out there considering how many Yeti’s he’s been on

Northwind

They certainly seem to have been good for GT… Not so up with the DH bikes but after years of tall steep long travel bikes, it seems like having Dan say “**** off, these are rubbish” helped get them into the same decade as everyone else…

atlaz
    Free Member

it seems like having Dan say “**** off, these are rubbish”

Is that what happened or did they redesign their bikes and then relaunch the brand by hiring the Athertons? My guess would be the latter. Not to say they didn’t contribute but I doubt that they didn’t have plans for a new version of GT before the Athertons were approached.

P-Jay
    Free Member

The flag of Luxemburg looks almost identical to the Dutch flag…

atlaz
    Free Member

The flag of Luxemburg looks almost identical to the Dutch flag…

I don’t think we have any bike manufacturers or teams (apart from road teams, not at all for tax purposes) here… unless Andy Schleck is launching a DH team which would be pretty ironic.

thepodge
    Free Member

Graves to Specialized

This would be such a shame, he seems like the perfect person for them. plus if RR is off to DH then are Yeti going to run a team at all?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Firstly good luck to the Athertons, I hope they are getting some reward for their hard work and excellent performances.

I’m always a bit nervous to see change of kit after a successful season, will be a very busy winter getting new bikes setup. Fingers crossed they are competitive.

Northwind

atlaz – Member

Is that what happened or did they redesign their bikes and then relaunch the brand by hiring the Athertons?

The new enduro bike arrived a long time after Dan joined the team- he did a load of messing around with modified Forces and protos and geometry hacks before they got to the new bike, and he wasn’t shy about slating the standard Force.

chakaping
    Free Member

Surprising move from Troy Brosnan…
    https://instagram.com/p/92EHO_KVmH/?taken-by=troybrosnan

😯

I’d have seen him more as a climber than a classics man.

raisinhat
    Free Member

GT came up with the old alloy / carbon fury on their own, and part of the deal was the athertons helping to develop a new DH bike. Thus along comes the aluminum fury, and from that the sanction as well.

Plenty of rumours floating around about a new canyon DH team on a new bike, possibly with Barel involved somewhere. In his pinkbike interview he flat out said he’s not managing a team, but he will be supporting riders and carrying on R&D.

nickc

Isn’t that a Lorry? (Laurie Greenland)? going towards a Canyon?

honourablegeorge

getonyourbike – Member

No Trek Factory racing

Aren’t the Athertons going to Trek? Not a factory team?

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I meant no Trek Factory Racing as in the Martin Whiteley run TFR, but Atherton Racing will be representing them, if you see what I mean.

nickc

Aren’t the Athertons going to Trek? Not a factory team?

Isn’t the team “Atherton Racing” ?

Edit: what he said!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Athertons = Athertons and Red Bull?
    If you have the sponsor power and the bikes are sorted do you need the factory part?

spawnofyorkshire

Atherton Racing have been competing under the name ‘GT Factory Racing’ so a change to ‘Trek Factory Racing’ wouldn’t be a big jump. They’d still get called the athertons all the time though so it doesn’t really fit in with Treks global branding exercise.

nickc

They’d still get called the athertons all the time though so it doesn’t really fit in with Treks global branding exercise.

Aye, but look what they’ve done for GT’s Brand.

You’d have to very certain of your plans for success if you’re not going to sign the Athertons to help you do it…

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m sure the Athertons will want to keep their own organisation and management, so no TWR in DH sounds feasible. Martin Whiteley wouldn’t have much left to do.

It’ll be interesting if Canyon and YT are both signing up fast riders and taking it seriously too.

honourablegeorge

getonyourbike – Member

I meant no Trek Factory Racing as in the Martin Whiteley run TFR, but Atherton Racing will be representing them, if you see what I mean.

Right. But still a “factory” team in terms of support from Trek, I guess.

rhid

I never really understood what the Factory part of the Trek Factory Racing meant (or any Factory racing part of any team). Is that the riders are paid by trek to ride their bikes and receive direct support via Trek mechanics, transport etc?

So in the Athertons case they may just get the bikes and the Atherton team takes care of all the other things such as mechanics, transfport travel etc etc?

I am a bit confused to be honest!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 117 total)

The topic ‘Athertons say bye to GT’ is closed to new replies.