Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 459 total)
  • Atheists/Agnostics/Sceptics – Religious questions you want answered
  • mattyfez

but that’s clearly not a religious conflict

NI …

Religion is simply the vehicle for conflict, a convenient one at that.

Like calling an uber taxi convenient.

molgrips
    Free Member

7% of modern conflicts (roughly) are directly attributable to religious conflict

is responsible for the majority of historical conflicts and a vast majority of modern suffering,

??? 7% not that big, not backing yourself up that well.

No, for good people to do bad things you just need to convince them of a group identity and a common enemy.

Indeed. Which is my point. You can use religion for that if you like, doesn’t mean religion is the actual cause.

jimjam
    Free Member

molgrips

Indeed. Which is my point. You can use religion for that if you like, doesn’t mean religion is the actual cause.

When it comes to motivating or justifying the murder or your enemies “god commands us to do it” is about as good as it gets though. The leaders and the led don’t have to be on the same page.

molgrips
    Free Member

Maybe, maybe not. But not sure it matters much.

Anyway. See all that beautiful art, architecture and music that was mentioned above? The fact that the creators felt moved enough to make religion the subject of their creativity suggests they felt it was a strong positive in their lives, don’t you think?

tjagain

Cougar – Moderator

Science and Christianity( In fact all the monotheistic religions IIRC) are completely incompatible with science

Is that a typo? Science is incompatible with science? [/quote]

Yup makes a bit more sense if you remove the first “science”

Christianity is completely incompatible with science cos……………

nick1962
    Free Member

If there really is a god surely he would smite anyone who started yet another STW religion thread….

tjagain

IMO organised religion is a tool for suppressing the masses

gauss1777
    Free Member

Why have dinosaurs roam the Earth for 150 million years, to then wipe them out many millions of years before man arrives on the scene? Then for humans to only be on the Earth for a few thousand?(according to the Bible).

molgrips
    Free Member

Why not? How should I know?

If there were a God, why would we expect to know what the **** he was up to?

jimjam
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

Maybe, maybe not. But not sure it matters much.

Anyway. See all that beautiful art, architecture and music that was mentioned above? The fact that the creators felt moved enough to make religion the subject of their creativity suggests they felt it was a strong positive in their lives, don’t you think?

That’s a different thread. But since you ask no, not really. I don’t think religious piety or rapture is a fertile ground for art and creativity. Self expression and patronage is though. There is a considerable body of opinion that suggests many of the great renaissance masters were gay. Most famously Michelangelo. It’s often speculated that his works are homoerotic and/or feature a gay subtext very much in rebellion against the Catholic churches’ patronage.

What say you?

tjagain

gauss1777 – Member

Why have dinosaurs roam the Earth for 150 million years, to then wipe them out many millions of years before man arrives on the scene? Then for humans to only be on the Earth for a few thousand?(according to the Bible).

according to the bible the earth is 6000 years old. ~According to creationist fossil record is there to confuse us.

tjagain

Jiumjam – why does the statue of David have such a small willy then?

jimjam
    Free Member

Cos he’s bloody cold.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve not studied enough art to be able to comment in any way. I was simply extrapolating from what I can see. I don’t think that the faith is responsible for the art – but they could have drawn all sorts of things, but there are so many pictures of religious scenes and so much music. I know there was a lot of patronage and things being ‘the done thing’ but the point I am trying to make is that a lot of people throughout history were made happy by their faith. And still are. They don’t tend to make headlines though.

molgrips
    Free Member

according to the bible the earth is 6000 years old.

Umm.. nooo.. not quite.

There’s a creation parable, then a genealogy, then someone added it all up to get 6,000 years. He is not believed by that many people. Including the Pope.

I expect some of you are going to tell the Pope how he doesn’t understand Christianity now, aren’t you?

nick1962
    Free Member

They were clever those early Christians.Despite being discriminated against,suppressed,tortured,burnt alive,crucified,butchered in the amphitheatres for public entertainment and murdered in their thousands throughout the Roman empire in the first couple of centuries AD they were clearly playing the long game 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes. People dying for their beliefs carried on much longer than that.

Some people’s faith meant so much to them they would rather die horribly than recant. Of course, outside of conflicts many other people went about their lives peacefully with the same kind of faith. All those people carrying around something that powerful and meaningful. And you lot dismiss it as stupidity.

I’m not religious but I try to understand it and what it means to people.

tjagain

Nick – I said organised religion not Christianity. Romans had their own religion they used to control people.

iamtheresurrection

Is it not a little disingenuous to give the gift of life, and then demand thanks for it every day in return?

If I’d given such an awesome gift, I’d rather you each spent it doing great things, not thanking me every five minutes but then asking me for more with every prayer.

How much did Pope Alexander VI pay for his 50 prostitutes to celebrate the festival of the saints. Did God consider it money well spent from the purse?

Was God really okay with Lot’s daughters getting him drunk and raping him after destroying Sodom?

Jesus, the list really is endless.

Edit. Sorry. When Jesus performed the miracle which cursed the fig tree for having no fruit, even though it was out of season, was God embarrassed by his son’s petulance and abuse of power in killing the tree? I’d have Jesus on the naughty step for that one…

mattyfez

I said organised religion not Christianity. Romans had their own religion they used to control people.

Whut

slackalice
    Free Member

The primary cause ( note the word: primary) for conflict amongst humans is the lust for power and greed, very much a human condition/ construct. Religion has been used as an excuse. There are many examples, I’ll proffer the Mongol expansion throughout Asia, Eurasia and Europe as one as it was pretty horrific. As far as historians understand, their primary motive was to secure trade rights.

I do wonder if the most zealous atheist posters here are in some ways rather like the shouty homophobes one encounters, in so far as their fear of being actually what they publicly despise helps with their self denial? I’ll put a wink in here, just because I can. 😉

And for those who choose to live their lives on a binary yes/no, proven fact or not basis, wow! Each to their own, but I like the grey areas, the unknowns, the hypothesis, the looking into the night sky and knowing that the observer changes the reality and that really, we know **** all.

I’ll return to this thread this evening, it might have been closed by then, so a gentle reminder for those that probably won’t read ( or understand) this bit, that dogmatism isn’t a virtue, there’s no need to be a pillock about it.

leffeboy

If only the world was quite so organised. That’s just another form of imagining that there is someone somewhere who actually knows what’s going on

RustySpanner

slackalice – Member
    The primary cause ( note the word: primary) for conflict amongst humans is the lust for power and greed, very much a human condition/ construct. Religion has been used as an excuse.

Religion and God are themselves human constructs.

slackalice
    Free Member

I haven’t left for work yet! Of course they are, your point being?

iamtheresurrection

^ morning SaxonRider. Reading my post back, without gin brain, I sound like a bit of a ******. Sorry.

EDIT (again). Especially with my username, which is a Stone Roses reference, not some poke at something else 😉

kerley
    Free Member

How do you really know there is a god and how do you really know the religion you have chosen to follow is the right one.

(You are not allowed to use the cop outs of “faith” or “because someone else told me”)

molgrips
    Free Member

that dogmatism isn’t a virtue, there’s no need to be a pillock about it

+1, well put.

By the way, to anyone who likes these kinds of discussions – pretty sure we could arrange a bike ride and get SaxonRider out too. Plenty to discuss 🙂

You are not allowed to use the cop outs of “faith”

Is it a cop out? Surely that’s the point? That you don’t know, but you believe? Not really qualified to answer that though to be honest. I think this is where people draw an analogy with science. We don’t KNOW much about the nature of reality through science – we are simply trusting the interpretations of scientists and their measurements. Which is a sort of faith, if derived differently.

deadkenny
    Free Member

A question that can be asked both of the religious and to yourself.

Do you fear death?

Obviously most people do, but by how much and are you worried about what happens or doesn’t happen “after”?

This is something that makes me appreciate people with a lot of faith, in that they can be content with death, knowing to themselves it is not the end. Regardless of whether it is.

Without faith and with scientific evidence at hand, death is truly scary.

ie one of the reasons for religion is to provide comfort in the face of the unknown. It may be bollocks stuff, but I’m happy for those who are happy with their faith.

Junkyard
    Free Member

of course knowing hoping/wishing you dont die and that you get to meet all your loved ones and go to a place that is perfect is far more comforting than thinking you just die and its over
    That is no reason to lie to yourself and think that is what will happen
    You die and life goes on without you.

metalheart
    Free Member

I only have the one really (last 10seconds). More of a request:

[video]https://youtu.be/r1I4DR3kFCw[/video]

kerley
    Free Member

Do you fear death?

Not a single bit, no. My wife is well catered for when I die and that is all I need to know.

antigee

did i spent many a sunday morning receiving biblical instruction because it would one day save my soul or were my parents just at it like rabbits?

wilburt
    Free Member

Does your God hang out with the other Gods?

leffeboy

So, do we have a summarised list of questions yet?

pondo

Do you fear death?

Not a single bit, no. My wife is well catered for when I die and that is all I need to know.[/quote]
    D’you know, it makes me very sad to think of it, whether I go first or Mrs Pondo does – just to think I’m leaving her alone, or she me. I have sad dreams about it sometimes. 🙁

AD

I’m an atheist but I really enjoyed American Gods on Amazon – so I’ve been thinking – how do you choose a god to believe in? Which one is best? Or is is just a ‘gut’ feel thing?

I guess I’m trying to figure out why (say) the Norse gods aren’t as good as the Christian one?

And I suppose the other question from me would be as an atheist I don’t really care what people believe in providing it doesn’t hurt others – however it seems to me that many believers really don’t seem to like other people believing in a different God? Why is that?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Are we getting answers?

AD

In the book hopefully!

molgrips
    Free Member

however it seems to me that many believers really don’t seem to like other people believing in a different God?

I would bet the number of believers who don’t like people believing in other gods is about the same proportion as atheists who don’t like people believing in God.

In other words, there’s a portion of society that feels the need to berate other people with different points of view, regardless of what that point of view might be. People who cannot accept differences.

molgrips
    Free Member

D’you know, it makes me very sad to think of it, whether I go first or Mrs Pondo does – just to think I’m leaving her alone, or she me.

One reason I changed my mind about having kids. So I could (hopefully) still be close to someone without Mrs Grips.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 459 total)

The topic ‘Atheists/Agnostics/Sceptics – Religious questions you want answered’ is closed to new replies.