Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Atheist teacher applying for jobs in a faith school?
  • geminafantasy
    Free Member

My other half has recently passed her PGCE and is now looking for opening to begin her career. However, many of the openings are for catholic/anglican/etc schools and we are both unsure of the law when it comes to faith schools hiring teachers. It would dramatically reduce the job openings if she was to only choose secular schools.

Are faith schools allowed to discriminate on the basis of the candidates religion? Would a muslim teacher be hired to work in a catholic school for example? Does the spread of religious beliefs amongst their employees have to match that of the general population (such as it is with race in many workplaces) or are they exempt from this?

Based on the answers to the above questions, opinions would be welcomed as to what the best course of action would be for someone in her position:
    – Lie in an interview and claim to believe in whatever faith is appropriate, maintaining your own integrity in the knowledge that you would be then in a position to teach the facts of science in an unbiased way and separate from religious education.
    – Stick to your own views and be open with them, but risk losing out to other candidates who may possess beliefs more in line with the schools ethos.

Cheers

househusband

Might be worth asking the teaching council in England? Sorry, not sure what the English equivalent of the GTCS (General Teaching Council Scotland) is. Or union?

I think I’m right in saying that in Scotland, where the main consideration would be teaching in RC schools, you need approval from the RC Church to teach at an RC school if you are not yourself RC. Not being RC may not be an issue as a classroom teacher but promotion beyond is an issue.

CountZero

I don’t know for fact, but I would have thought employment law would have legislated against such discrimination, but obviously there could be a get-out-of-jail free clause hidden in the small print somewhere.

jekkyl

I doubt she’d be able to lie:
    ‘so which catholic church do you worship at?’ it’s very likely they’d have a member of staff at every church in the area.

I went to a Catholic school and I don’t think they wouldn’t be able to discriminate legally but I do think they’d only hire credible catholics. I might not tell them she’s atheist, maybe agnostic or lapsed christian might go down better. You can’t really have a teacher teaching at a school when she doesn’t belive in it’s founding principles.

but I don’t work in that area just offering an opinion. 🙂

SaxonRider

A person of specific faith, providing they are appropriately qualified, will always have an advantage over other candidates in an interview for that faith’s school. BUT…

That will certainly depend on the person being an appropriate appointment.

In other words, if that person is not a good teacher, then it is doubtful that the school will hire him/her over another candidate, even if the other candidate has no faith.

Being an atheist is NO OBSTACLE to being hired anywhere, as long as the person is positively disposed towards the ethos of the school.

I am directly aware of a Catholic institution employing more than one Muslim, as well as a good number of atheists, and others of different faith backgrounds, with no issues at all, other than the requirement that they be interested in good teaching and content.of course if one of them began to prosthelytise, that would be an issue.

geminafantasy
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I like the idea of saying agnostic, lapsed christian or even a diest, I think that this would suggest to the interviewer a candidate isn’t at risk of becoming a potential iconoclast in the classroom once hired.

I think we are both now leaning to the ‘white lie’ option as we are both unconvinced that even with a law in place to stop this kind of discrimination, a single individual with the power to award a teaching position would be completely impartial and base the decision on teaching ability alone.

What a tragic thought and one I really hope is not true!

totalshell

starting an argumnet for the sake of it by the sounds of it. at my kids catholic school there are two muslim teachers and the head teacher is a proddy.. cant speak for the rest of the teaching staff..

totalshell

starting an argumnet for the sake of it by the sounds of it. at my kids catholic school there are two muslim teachers and the head teacher is a proddy.. cant speak for the rest of the teaching staff..

kimbers

just lie, most of the parents will have done to get their kids in 😉

geminafantasy
    Free Member

starting an argumnet for the sake of it by the sounds of it.

What argument?

just lie, most of the parents will have done to get their kids in

😀

anagallis_arvensis

I’m glad I have been lucky enough not to have to apply to such places. Religion really has no place in state education.

geetee1972
    Free Member

You’re only allowed to discriminate on these grounds where the specifics of the job specifically require you to be of that faith.. So for example you can discriminate against a person of Muslim faith if your looking to appoint a priest.

A teacher in any kind of faith school does not need to be of that faith to carry out the duties requireed by their role as a teacher, so therefore you could not discriminate against someone not of that faith.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Well there were plenty of non Catholics at the catholic school I went to, and that was in the west of Scotland in the 80s. I can’t see there being a problem these days.

matth75
    Free Member

My wife’s the biggest atheist going & has worked at faith schools with no problem at all. She’s thinking of going for another job shortly in another faith school & doesn’t expect her beliefs to hinder her, I don’t think that she’s ever been asked about her faith or lack of it in an interview as it’s simply not relevant as long as you are a good teacher & can uphold the schools policy.

johnhe

Do you not think there’s a slight contradiction in the “lie in the interview……….maintaining your own integrity”? Not sure i think much of that integrity, whether its in a catholic, Hindu or atheist.

konabunny
    Free Member

A teacher in any kind of faith school does not need to be of that faith to carry out the duties requireed by their role as a teacher, so therefore you could not discriminate against someone not of that faith

Maybe his ought to be true n your opinion, but it’s not true. Schools are allowed to discriminate on exactly that basis.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/8359414.stm
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belief/2010/jan/19/faith-schools-teachers-discrimination
    http://www.secularism.org.uk/discrimination-in-faith-schools.html
    http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2013/01/european-commission-to-investigate-complaints-concerning-employment-discrimination-in-faith-schools

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Of course schools can discriminate. Anyone who flashes the race/religion card can discriminate at will (OK, maybe not at will).

Religion really has no place in state education.

Exactly. Well, other than perhaps teaching the history and beliefs of all major religions in a third hand way.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

starting an argumnet for the sake of it by the sounds of it.

Starting an argumnet (sic) for the sake of it having looked at the facts. 😉

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Atheist teacher applying for jobs in a faith school?’ is closed to new replies.