Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • At what point, weatherwise, do you abandon your planned ride?
  • binners

We were meant to be out tonight straight from work. Up to Blackstone Edge. Which is a tad… erm… exposed.

I’m not too far from there now and I’m presently looking at horizontal snow. The internal northern voice in my head is telling me to MTFU and go out anyway. I’m bloody well not doing though! Sod that! I’ll die of hypothermia, or something!

So… what conditions force you onto the sofa then? Fess up to youre abandoned ride and lame-arse excuses

Jamie
    Free Member

Can’t you just neck a plate of chips and MTFU?

I dunno…kids these days.

Personally, I blame Binners the parents.

wwaswas

Decider for me is ‘will I enjoy it?’

If it’s going to be a 2 hour hike a bike into the teeth of a blizzard then where’s the fun? There may be some sort of ‘well I survived’ feeling at the end but that’s not what a mid week evening ride’s about, really.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Good gloves , loads of layers and give it a go , camel back with a pie and some goodies in there… 😀

Its snowing here in sunny Wrexham, if its like this at a weekend I always head off up the montain its about 10 mile loop awesome, 😀

sefton
    Free Member

rather you than me! 25mph gust today 5mph tomorrow 😉

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

We’re doing Pendle tonight!

hexhamstu
    Free Member

NEVER!

and if you are northern you must also wear shorts.

Jamie
    Free Member

…oh, and someone will be along shortly, possibly TJ, to say there is no such things as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.

yunki
    Free Member

The internal northern voice in my head is telling me to MTFU and go out anyway

the fact that you are having internal dialogue over this and are not out there already without missing a beat only goes to show that you have no more ‘northern’ grit than this guy..

sefton
    Free Member

We’re doing Pendle tonight!

well you survived the Skiddaw decent – maybe this will kill you off 😆

Alex

We have the 20 minute rule. Everyone has to agree that the grimness is such that the TMR can be invoked and we can all go home, pride intact. Never happened tho. Once you’re out, you’re out. There’s also the ’emergency tenner’ stuffed inside the seatpost to get a medicinal pint in if the weather is somewhere beyond biblical.

tracknicko
    Free Member

NEVER! (MTFU etc.)*

Not me, but our club captain/northern hardman

thorlz
    Free Member

Same situation today, planned ride for today with lad from work
    Anyway, ride cancelled Grrrr!,

I still feel well up for it, its only a bit of cold/rain/sleet, but that wind is another story.

I still want to go in many ways but part of me says don’t go riding alone in this weather and also I don’t really want my bike on the roof rack in this wind.

I will just go for a local canal path ride in a bit just to exercise the legs.

Or should I just MTFU as well? Opinions and insults welcome…………

nedrapier

As a wise man said: “It doesn’t have to be fun to be fun.”

professorfaceplant
    Free Member

what wwaswas said

wors

I’ll ride in most conditions, but wind can **** right off.

rOcKeTdOg

High wind is the stopper for me, everything else is surviveable but high winds are just dangerous (and damned hard work!)

binners

In my defense, I had my MTFU sandwich yesterday. I refused a lift home, and did a 20 mile commute home last night in this bloody wind! Head wind all the way, obviously. It was absolutely horrendous. Hence the ease with which I’ve abandoned tonight’s festivities. I dread to think what the wind would be like up on the Edge tonight

scu98rkr
    Free Member

A couple of years ago, 2007 i think, it seemed to rain everyday. Just had to get on and ride what ever.

But the last couple of years I’ve only gone out when its sunny. Seeing as yesterday was the first rain in about month its not really been a problem recently.

rj
    Free Member

Usually some light drizzle.

Garry_Lager

You can bin a ride off ahead of time if it’s got features that would really benefit from clear weather.
    That Winter hill descent I was asking about yesterday looks lovely, and I had it pencilled in for tomorrow evening. Think I’ll swerve it with this weather, just seems a waste of a big climb to mince down it in the cold, wind and rain.

Junkyard
    Free Member

If you plan to ride we ride [ usually been a bit lax this year if I am honest]

I am riding tonight though as I have kids next week so wont get to ride

High wind just because it is rubbish and I own a turbo trainer

bullandbladder
    Free Member

The second I opened the curtains this morning. Yuk.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Only when it’s actually too dangerous to ride.

nbt

That Winter hill descent I was asking about yesterday looks lovely, and I had it pencilled in for tomorrow evening. Think I’ll swerve it with this weather, just seems a waste of a big climb to mince down it in the cold, wind and rain.

#

It’s called winter hill for a reason. It’s bloody exposed up there

binners

Garry_Lager – I’ve ridden down that in a few inches of snow. It was a right laugh. Fell off over ‘the Spaniel’ and landed, laughing, in a 3′ deep drift.

You’re right to cry off though. I wouldn’t fancy it in this wind, up there

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Big southern softie

wors

Went up there last thursday night, the wind had picked up loads, riding up coal pit was horrendous, however descending san marino was blisteringly fast, fastest i have ever done it i reckon. 😀

D0NK

I know someone who drove manchester to keswick sat in the car park for 20mins with rain hammering on the windscreen then drove home.

Grim weather would stop a local nightride but if I’d “booked” a proper ride there’s not much that’d stop me tho the route and/or location may be heavily edited. Going up jacobs ladder in bloody awful conditions high wind, heavy rain and fog was probably the worst.

bigrich

when it’s overcast.

(Australia, innit)

andytherocketeer

Snow is good 🙂 but I’d avoid a blizzard or if it goes much below about -3C (I’d go to the Alps and slide on planks instead anyway).
    Bit of drizzle is OK.
    Anything above 37C would probably make me stay in, and in the thunderstormy season, I tend to check the lightning detectors to see if it’s gonna be nice or not.

Although if on a MTB vacation then I’ll venture out in more “extreme” weather than if at home.

Makore
    Free Member

As expected, I abandoned my ride this morning after a couple of hours.
    Look carefully for my bike in the blizzard!

nealglover
    Free Member

camel back with a pie and some goodies in there

I would reccomend a shepherds pie if you want any chance at all of getting it through the tube of a camelbak :mrgreen:

I_did_dab
    Free Member

I’d call off the ride (or divert) if I thought that there was a good chance of it ending with a rescue from the Mountain Rescue Team. So that depends on the route, weather, and level of experience of the riders.

D0NK

Look carefully for my bike in the blizzard!

chapeu, where is that?

edit- where is that in the UK (just in case it wasn’t clear)

Popocatapetl

Binners, I remind you that the soft southern shandy drinking brigade can read your post. Don’t go out tonight, but post up later saying saying you had a totally gnar to the power of rad ride in the snow and finished off by having 10 pints of black sheep in the pub before heading home to clean your forks. Accompanied by some suitable photos, we’ll never know 8)

Makore
    Free Member

The picture is not a remote or mountainous place, but pretty exposed in parts.
    Heres a clue:

D0NK

The old worsley train line?
    😉

Makore
    Free Member

Peak District….

Junkyard
    Free Member

#

It’s called winter hill for a reason. It’s bloody exposed up there

I will let the southerners know how it rides tonight …letting the side down and a plague on both your houses

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘At what point, weatherwise, do you abandon your planned ride?’ is closed to new replies.