• This topic has 33 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • At what point do yuo give up caring?
  • Pook

after years of being the organiser for all things biking within your group, at what point would you chuck the towel in?

I’ve had enough of the constant hassle of it

thomthumb
    Free Member

more fun, not less fun.

that’s my motto. give it up if it’s too much hassle

Trimix
    Free Member

Or ditch those that cause the hassel.

camo16
    Free Member

thomthumb +1

portlyone

I organised 10 years of 5 a side football, the last 2 were a nightmare.

After a while it was more habit than love of the game. It collapsed pretty quickly after my knee stopped me from playing.

footflaps

If doing something else would be more enjoyable…

Pook

That’s a good point. It’s my spare time.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

when you feel the need to post on here about it, that’s probably the time to get on with doing it (for) yourself.

Pook

Yup.

camo16
    Free Member

Any other STW-ers on here go on your rides Pook?

If so, this is like breaking up by text!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Or do as Trimix says arrange it to suit you, if people follow and join in great get rid of those causing hassle, it’s supposed to be fun! and if you’re posting on here to ask I think you know the answer!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Dunno, but when you know, you’ll know, y’know?

Freester

Probably at the point I’ve had enough of the constant hassle of it.

HTH

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Had similar with an astronomical society. After 4 years of feeling like I was making everything ‘happen’. Do what you want esp. with a new family.

Just go and ride.

Cheers.

P.S. When is the next pootle? 😉

patriotpro
    Free Member

I think you need to look at what is causing the hassle.

I’m the one within our group that organises stuff and as far as organising it’s pretty much my way or the highway, people come around to it believe it or not or miss out.

Maybe you’re trying to please too many people…?

lowey

Easy… pop out and email saying I’m riding at such a time at such a place. see you there if you fancy it.

Is it Hora ? I bet its Hora.

Pook

Next pootle comign hopefully soon – MiniPook is the priority at the mo though!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Ride solo.
    Do what you want, when you want and where you want.
    There’s always folks about to bump into and chat.
    There’s a lot to be said for it.
    Anyway, now you’ve a baby, who’s going to want to ride with a bloke who smells of sour milk, baby sick and nappy sacks.
    Think of the others, ride solo and downwind.

Pook

ooh paul – can we halve the white peak route possibly? Might make a good summer pootle.

neninja
    Free Member

Not cycling but packed in organising our fortnightly poker nights with a group of friends – it was like herding jelly.

Cougar

Dude! Your metaphors are mixing!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I used to play (field) hockey and for years I was the one trying to get the team organised week in week out (and do the driving). When the hassle outweighed the fun I called it a day before the resentment got too deep-seated. Could I have done something about it? Probably, but there’s too much other great stuff out there* to waste time on stuff that is giving you no joy.

*[edit] – bikes

rogerthecat
    Free Member

😀 sure can young sir, I will take a peek at it this weekend and see if we can split it into two.

camo16
    Free Member

can we halve the white peak route possibly? Might make a good summer pootle

sure can young sir, I will take a peek at it this weekend and see if we can split it into two.

So this thread about organising rides being too much hassle is now turning into a ‘let’s organise a ride!’ thread?

This is the STW equivalent of Lost Highway. 😯

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Things end. Don’t worry about endings. Without them there would be no beginnings.

Perhaps you feel your efforts are unappreciated? They will be appreciated some years after you stop.

camo16
    Free Member

Things end.

They sometimes start up again. Sometimes, minutes later. 😉

Pook

I’m not talking about pootles you cheeky scamps.

russ295
    Free Member

I’ve a few mates who want to ride regularly. The term “want to” shouldn’t be confused with “do”
    One won’t go any further than 6 miles from his house as he always has to get back. Then it’s “I will go tomorrow”, so I put off my ride then, get a text saying the next day saying “can’t make it”.
    It’s too cold, it might rain blah blah blah.
    Pretty much ride alone now.

grum
    Free Member

Trying to organise anything with a big load of people is generally a pain. I prefer riding with no more than 3-4 people anyway TBH.

I only have one regular riding pal who lives near me and it works pretty well in general, especially now the days are a bit longer and we can get out after work.

hora
    Free Member

Pook amen.

hora
    Free Member

Pook amen.

luffy105
    Free Member

I try and go out on my road bike at least once a weekend . Nothing major, just an early couple of hours so that I still have plenty time with wife and kids. Lots of my friends ask to come along but when I plan for them they piss about and I end up having to either head out late and get into grief or head out alone. Now I just tell my friends what time I’m leaving and if they arrive they come with me.

So far only one has made it this year but now I’m not bothered by the excuses of why they had to cancel 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Well Im out tomorrow and Sunday with Cumbrian Dave really early if your free pook. Sunday is hagg beast gores then ‘cheeky’ with him.

Pook

no can do tomorrow, doing MiniPook things and saving up some brownie points for the 4th.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘At what point do yuo give up caring?’ is closed to new replies.