Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • At what point do you say b*****ks to it?
  • Spud

An event that is, SITS solo in two weeks and my back problem has taken a step backwards, chiro tomorrow, but I ain't hopeful. Sorry for the moan….

Wookster

First lap!!!! Worked for me at brass monkeys this year, turns out Dr was right….. 😉

wwaswas

go along, ride what you can and just enjoy it as an event?

BigDummy
    Free Member

There is no way I'd be planning to do an event 2 weeks away with a back problem that was still getting worse today. Personally, I'd write it off and plan something pleasant to do that didn't require the back to have got miraculously better. A properly fecked back is agonising, and long mtb races really can hurt you properly. Sorry to be a downer. 🙂

the-muffin-man

My racing career came to and end at around 4pm in the morning at SITS 2008!

The course had gone from bone dry 35min laps, to a quagmire and 2hr laps dragging your bike around! I parked it at the end of that lap and have never done a race since.

I certainly wouldn't be attempting SITS with a back problem thats getting worse.

peteimpreza

Go and see a physio not some quack pedalling snake oil and lucky charms.

sor
    Free Member

4pm in the morning

That, right there, that's what endurance racing does to you.

nacho
    Free Member

"Go and see a physio not some quack pedalling snake oil and lucky charms"
    peteimpreza – ever been to a chiropractor?
    My wife had major problems with SPD when she was pregnant – chirpractor fixed it after doc said he coiuldn't help. I had had a bad shoulder for years, however as the fees were £27 for 15 minutes there was no way I was going to go – several physio's had failed to fix it what could this guy do? After being persuaded by my wife to go by way of a free initial treatment (and several further paid ones) my shoulder is fixed. No trouble for over a year now. I still go to the "wallet manipulator" every so often as he has also helped no end with my dodgy back

catfood
    Free Member

I landed on my head in a crash a while back, 3 months later and I still couldnt turn my head properly, I went to the Drs and he said there was nothing he could do, maybe get me some physio to strengthen one side of my neck.

The next week I went to a chiro and she fixed it within a minute, just spun the vertibrae back into place, she also fixed my back at the same time, no snake oil or nothin.

the-muffin-man

That, right there, that's what endurance racing does to you.

Well spotted!! 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

I am supposed to be going to SITs but I have no entry or team…

OllyUK
    Free Member

Chiropractors vary a lot. Some will claim to be able to treat non-back related conditions such as asthma, infant colic, headaches and a whole plethora of assorted ailments. Multiple reviews show that chiropractic is not effective in treating conditions such as this and so it would be unwise to visit a chiropractor for one of these conditions. Chiropractors which claim to be able to treat these conditions are generally loonies.

However there are systematic reviews which suggest that spinal manipulation can help with back pain to a minor degree. This should only be done after conventional treatments (physio/NSAIDs etc) have been tried and on the advise of a GP. They are expensive so it generally isn't worth pursuing it if you don't feel any benefit after a few sessions.
    The evidence is largely inconclusive for neck pain, and manipulation of cervical vertebrae can be dangerous so chiropractic treatment of neck pain is best avoided.

The causes of back pain are incredibly complex and there is no single wonder treatment, it is a matter of finding how best to manage it through the various options.

DWH
    Free Member

From Wikipedia:

Traditional chiropractic assumes that a vertebral subluxation or spinal joint dysfunction interferes with the body's function and its innate intelligence,[6] a vitalistic notion that brings ridicule from mainstream science and medicine.

So you're quite right, just say bollocks to it – because it is.

On the other hand, if you're just 'bottling' it and need an excuse I'm sure your local purveyor of 'subluxation' will sort you out just fine.

You're not into Scientology too are you?

Moses

Wikipedia being bollox in that case about Chiropractic.

Spinal and other joint manipulation can deffo help. Forget the mumbo-jumbo, in the UK they are mostly properly trained.

My back & leg pains were fixed by manipulation. One treatment was to alter the tilt of my pelvis to even up the lengths of my legs which had over 1" difference. It worked, I walk better.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘At what point do you say b*****ks to it?’ is closed to new replies.