Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • at what age do you buy your final bike?
  • rOcKeTdOg

I’m of that age where I’m thinking there’s only a limited number of years left where I feel I’d get full use of a nice bike. I ride with guys younger than me which helps but my beard is now grey, when is it time to splash the final cash & buy the last bike you’ll ever own?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Buy a bike and say “I’ll never buy another”?

Never say never. Simples.

DezB
    Free Member

Retired, on the pension, can afford any bike you want and have the time to ride it?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I keep wondering this and every time I say its the last one I ride it for a couple of years and then decide my legs still work and the bike is knackered so why not , there is a road club in Glasgow with memebrs in their eighties .I’m only 59 so I’ll keep going till I can’t and maybe take up walking or drooling

qtip

When you no longer want to get out and ride. The type of riding you enjoy might change, so will the bike you need, but there’s more to riding than keeping up with others. I hope I’ll be riding until I can ride no more, and I’ll be spending money on bikes right up until that point.

roverpig

I’d look at it the other way round. When I stop wanting a new bike then it’s probably time to call Dignitas.

I can see that it might get harder to justify spending a lot of cash on a bike when you are living on a pension (although maybe not) and my definition of a “nice bike” may change as I get older and my riding evolves, but I can’t imagine ever consciously buying my final bike.

onewheelgood

Your final bike is probably a Dawes Super Galaxy – so if the bike you want isn’t one of those, then it’s not your final bike.

mrmo
    Free Member

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/photos/102-year-old-robert-marchand-beats-own-hour-record/291222

how old are you?

What you want to do may change, but as long as you can ride and want to ride, why say last bike?

timraven

Bearing in mind what happened to Steve Worland this week you’ll probably never know when it’s your last bike.

My uncle was 80 at Xmas and still riding best part of 100 miles a week, on the road admittedly, why would you want to be thinking this is my last bike?

freeagent
    Free Member

I regularly see cyclists in their 50’s and 60’s riding new, high end road bikes around where I live (Bromley)
    I also see guys who must be 70+ riding nice Audax and tourer bikes, so at 41, my final bike is not something that concerns me.. ;o)

samuri
    Free Member

If I was conciously buying my last bike I’d do it on my death bed, assuming I die in a bed.

Do I expect to do this? no, I’ll keep using and buying bikes for as long as I can move.

rOcKeTdOg

How old are you?

47, and I’m probably fitter now than I’ve ever been since I started mtbing but the clock is ticking, there are trails & places I’d like to ride but I doubt now with work etc and other commitments I’m going to fit them all in

mikewsmith
    Free Member

they had to put an over 70’s cat in the local big MTB race this year. Don’t stop unless you have to, the competition falls away

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Im 46 and bought my ‘Final Bike’ when I was 23, its the only one that has had continual use. I will but more bikes and upgrade as I go, but I will always ride the fixed i bought 20 years ago for its pure simplicity and fun for as long as im able to swing a leg over it!

kayak23

Problem solved…

footstomper
    Free Member

Just because you struggle a little more with every year that goes by it doesn’t mean you have to keep riding an older bike, if I manage to reach 70+ and see a bike I like then I will buy it (you can never have too many bikes).
    I would rather spend my hard earned money to help make the twilight years easier than leave it for someone else to spend 😀

Dickyboy

@ 50yo I can’t really see me buying any new bikes until I’ve either broken or run out of spares to keep the ones I have going, but then again I never was one for buying new stuff anyway, having said that I recon I may well be ready for a 27.5″ full suss by the time I turn 70

mos

My dad’s just gone 67 & bought himself this;

Oldboy by marcusandcath, on Flickr

ton

I went through this dilemma 12 months or so ago. I was in a dark place to be honest, I am now in the light and I am planning a new rohloffed super bike at present.

no surrender RD………. 😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ll stop buying when I’ve had enough.

Age?

Irrelevant 😉

Yak

I was out riding last weekend, and on the final tarmac stretch back home there was a group of about 10 fellas going the other way. I’d put the age range as 60-70ish and they were all on lovely steel audax/tourer bikes, one even towing a trailer. It was a lovely day and they were clearly out for the day.

I’d want to be doing that into my 70s and if I could, I’d want a lovely comfy custom steel bike with nice light bits.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

I bought my first proper MTB 4 years ago, aged 47… and justified spending a fair amount on it on the basis that it would last me until I was too old to need anything better. Now I realise how wrong I was… I can see my riding improving for a while yet, and I think I’ll still get a kick out of a decent bike when I am in my 60s.

AlasdairMc

My dad is 62 and recently retired, and is now becoming an outdoor instructor, leading groups mountain biking amongst other things.

You’re not too old at 47.

binners

If you don’t go spanking your cash on flash bikes, then what are you going to spend it on instead?

😆

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

You don’t stop doing the things you like because you are getting old you get old when you stop doing the things you like .

slowoldman

47, and I’m probably fitter now than I’ve ever been since I started mtbing but the clock is ticking

Well the clock starts ticking when you are born. When are anticipating you will die?

Incidentally I had a grey beard before I bought my first MTB.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I will be too old either when I’m dead or unable to sit on a bike and make circles…

avdave2

I’m thinking about a custom frame for my 50th in just under 18 months. I’d expect that to be a bike for the rest of my riding life but I wouldn’t expect it to be the last I bought.

brakes
    Free Member

I’m going to be buried on a brand new bike.

thomasgeorge
    Free Member

I’m 47 this year, and new carbine on the way. Despite its cost, I’m fairly sure it will be replaced with something new in a couple of years time, as will that one. If you get lots of enjoyment out of bikes, and cost isn’t a big deal, then keep them coming.

maxlite
    Free Member

65 next week and I love building up new bikes. Finished a carbon road bike 2 weeks ago….next project a new hardtail.
    Might even race cross again 🙂

47, and I’m probably fitter now than I’ve ever been since I started mtbing but the clock is ticking

For heavens sake, you’ve got another 21 years before you qualify for a state pension. You’re fit enough to work but you’re feeling a bit past it for cycling?

Ok, you’ve probably left it a bit late to aspire for Olympic glory, but don’t think yourself old before your time.

Crell
    Free Member

My dad’s just gone 67 & bought himself this;

That’s brilliant. Give your dad a high-5 (or make him a cup of tea)!

I buried my dad yesterday and it just brings home that you have to make every day count. Don’t stop doing the things you love doing until you literally can’t do them any more. Even if / when I can’t ride any more I hope I can still build or repair them.

Moses

My last bile will *probably* be an electric bike; getting up the hills here can be a bugger. Fortunately there are a few years to go before I’m 75, so battery technology will be even better.

jate
    Free Member

Many years ago I was in J E James treating myself to a nice new Colnago and got chatting to one of the staff.
    They’d just had someone in whose riding buddy had recently died and had decided “stuff this, I’m going to buy the bike I’ve always wanted” so had ordered a Colnago C40 with Campag Record groupset.
    Apparently he was 80…..

br
    Free Member

47, and I’m probably fitter now than I’ve ever been since I started mtbing but the clock is ticking, there are trails & places I’d like to ride but I doubt now with work etc and other commitments I’m going to fit them all in

I’m a couple of years older than you, and tbh my commitments are now less than they’ve ever been – youngest is 15, so can be left and work is now something that I aim to occupy less time, not more.

Still MTB 2-3 times per week and when my current bike/frame goes ‘pop’, I’ll be buying another.

TiRed

When I’m not too scared to crash it in a race, I shall have that Pegoretti Responsorium. I took up racing at 45, and given the age of some fellow racers, that may be some time away!

And I agree with the sentiment, 67 is a fine time to buy a Santa Cruz! That really made me smile 😀 . I’m 17 years older than my dad, but if he was around, he’d have done the same by all accounts.

mamadirt
    Free Member

No beard yet 😆 and every bike I buy is the ‘final parcel’.

Andy-R

Ramsey Neil – Member
    You don’t stop doing the things you like because you are getting old, you get old when you stop doing the things you like .

I’m doing the things I like but I’m still getting old – what am I doing wrong?

njee20
    Free Member

I’m 17 years older than my dad

Is there something missing from that 😕

There’s an over-60s cat at all races (and over 70 at some clearly), 47 is no age at all!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘at what age do you buy your final bike?’ is closed to new replies.