Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • At the Going Down of the Sun – Thank You
  • peteimpreza

To all those who served 70 years ago today.

With a special mention to Beranrd.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-27735086

allthepies
    Free Member

Amen.

JulianA
    Free Member

Moving stuff on the news today. Incredible stories.

Must make another trip to Arromanches to see again where it happened. Wish we could have been at Pegasus Bridge today – it’s a fascinating place and the museum is excellent.

Let’s hope that today’s ceremonies will inspire the world leaders who are there to work to avoid it happening again. At least it sounds as though Russia and Ukraine want to talk to each other. That would be a good start.

Not meant to be a political observation by the way – just a hope.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Agreed in full. I used to live in Normandy, on one of the beaches, and it was always very moving.

Julian, re hope -Dum spiro, spero.

yossarian
    Free Member

We won’t forget.

JulianA
    Free Member

@CFH – Had to Google that, but yes.

Just having quite a think about the commemorations and how long they should continue.

I hope that the veterans continue going there as long as they are able and that this event, along with so many others, are remembered always.

Hearing The Last Post is always emotional for me, having heard it in Ypres at the Menin Gate several times – very moving indeed.

I know that the Normandy Veterans Association is being disbanded after these commemorations and that there has been some discussion about when and if the Last Post in Ypres should be discontinued: if this has to be, how about 11th November 2018 and 6th June 2044 respectively?

No disrespect at all to those that fought and died – I have a relative buried in Canadalaan Cemetery who would very likely have been known to my grandfather, whom I remember with affection, which brings it all very much closer to me personally – just that there perhaps needs to be some closure somewhere.

Maybe that would be the way to go?

busydog
    Free Member

how about 11th November 2018 and 6th June 2044 respectively

Quite fitting, indeed

JulianA
    Free Member

Thank you, busydog: I thought I might get a lot of flack for my suggestion, which was meant with respect.

busydog
    Free Member

It’s going to be harder and harder to keep the meaning and memory alive with each succeeding generation, which is really a shame

JulianA
    Free Member

I should also like to add that, after having been to Pointe du Hoc American Cemetery (which we found a bit too American) we went to a Geman Cemetery which was very moving and tranquil.

We should not forget that the German soldiers who fought and died in Normandy were not, for the most part, defending an ideology: they were forced to be there and were probably by that point aware that they were going to be on the losing side.

They were all someone’s father, son, husband or lover.

All Quiet On The Western Front (different war, same sentiments) is very thought provoking.

JulianA
    Free Member

@busydog – maybe a shame, yes, but those guys fought and died for our right to live in peace and remember at leisure – which we most definitely should.

The fact that WW1 is nearly 100 years ago is no barrier to MrsJulianA and me visiting and remembering various WW1 and WW2 cemeteries and sites.

Those who care will continue so to do, we trust.

busydog
    Free Member

Those who care will continue so to do, we trust.

I most certainly hope so!!

One of the TV news shows here in the states interviewed a bunch of high school kids about the meaning of D-Day and sadly, you’d be surprised how few of them had any knowledge of it.

JulianA
    Free Member

Well David Cameron did talk about how you stood ‘shoulder to shoulder’ with us during the Battle of Britain, so it’s not all one sided! (No disrespect meant…)

yossarian
    Free Member

One of the TV news shows here in the states interviewed a bunch of high school kids about the meaning of D-Day and sadly, you’d be surprised how few of them had any knowledge of it.

Don’t be too hard on the young, the sacrifices made 70 years ago allowed them to be brought up in peace and freedom. It’s natural that they won’t be as aware as the older people. I spoke to a few of my apprentices today. They knew very little about D-Day but were open to hearing what it means, respectful of the sacrifices made and understanding of the lessons of the past. I don’t think you could really ask for more to be honest.

JulianA
    Free Member

Well put, yossarian.

pondo

They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old, age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning – we shall remember them.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘At the Going Down of the Sun – Thank You’ is closed to new replies.