• This topic has 19 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by br.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • At risk of redundancy…………….any employment law experts out there?
  • priceyboy
    Free Member

The company is restructuring and has put all us Solution Consultants at risk of redundancy.
    However they are not offering voluntary redundancy.

There are enough new similar positions available in the new structure and the company expects us to go for the new positions.

Can they make us go for these new positions?

Any comments or experiences would be greatly appreciated

paulosoxo
    Free Member

If they’re making your post redundant, then no, they can’t make you take another post.

How many people are we talking about?

totalshell

a process i particpated in and managed several times.. simple formula dont apply dont get a job apply and persuade at interview to re emply at new grade.
    i often thought much of this was a done deal but at one interview i really did my homework before hand spent days working through answers and it paid off i got the job eveyone else assumed was somebody elses and that lead to fantastic opportunities.
    sitting on the otherside of the desk the depth of animosity was un real the lack of care and attention which people put into thier applications and interview were staggering.. many expecting to be a shoe in. I always tried to reward effort at interviews but sadly sometimes they were unavoidably just a case of going through the motions..
    give it 100% then you know you at least gave it everything you have, good luck.

druidh
    Free Member

priceyboy – it reads like you want to be made redundant?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

If there was a recession on and my job title was ‘Solutions Consultant’ then i would be looking for a sharp exit.

priceyboy
    Free Member

<paulosoxo>

There is about 20 of us

<druidh>

Its not that I want to be made redundant, its just that I don’t want to be forced into a position I may not like

project
    Free Member

However they are not offering voluntary redundancy

So it may just be statutory redundancy based on years of service, after two years that youve worked there.

druidh
    Free Member

priceyboy – Member
    Its not that I want to be made redundant, its just that I don’t want to be forced into a position I may not like

Gotcha. In that case, you have statutory redundancy (or whatever improvement they might offer) to look forward to. Do the sums and see if that would be worth it for the lack of a job while you find another.

priceyboy
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice totalshell

paulosoxo
    Free Member

http://www.acas.org.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=976&p=0

See here. The number if people at risk is important, as the business will have to do different things.

Work hard at keeping your post. I’ve just been through it and survived.

nick1962
    Free Member

its just that I don’t want to be forced into a position I may not like

😯 Oo err!
    Surely you are being offerred redeployment prior to statutory redundancy kicking in? Sounds reasonable and fair IMHO.
    Similar thing’s happening where I work and I’m in the public sector so all legal I reckon.No redundancies here though.If we don’t take up the job offers then we have made ourselves jobless.And these are totally different jobs further away and with worse conditions.
    Count your blessings many aren’t so lucky.

priceyboy
    Free Member

Thanks everyone

mikewsmith
    Free Member

2 choices Job or No Job, which one don’t you like?

theotherjonv

2 choices Job or No Job, which one don’t you like?

Not though is it. The choice is a Job that he wants vs being given a Job he doesn’t want vs being given some cash to go and get a Job that he wants.

The grass isn’t always greener but if they told you (for hyperbole effect) that your role is redundant but they’re going to make you chief shitmopper instead, your argument is that he has to take it?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If your post is being made redundant the company have to attempt to find you ” suitable alternative employment” How this is defined is subject to negotiation between you and them and ultimately by tribunal. You cannot be forced to do something that is not suitable.

jota180
    Free Member

You would usually be given a trial period for any new role you took

You’ll be able to back out of it and still get your redundancy money if it doesn’t suit

allthepies
    Free Member

what jonv said, who knows what job will be offered and at what salary, t’s and c’s etc.

atlaz
    Free Member

What jota said. When the old Pipex group was split up and sold, a load of the engineer staff were split. We got 2 project managers in the reshuffle both of whom were commuting from Oxford to London daily to our office. Both of them left within 3 months after “changing their minds” or more realistically having found new jobs. So make sure to ask about what your options are if you get the new role and don’t like it.

I was made redundant once and it was probably one of the best work things that’s ever happened to me for a number of reasons (once I’d got my head around it all of course). Chin up and focus on working the system for your best possible outcome (be that the changed role or a new job).

RustyMac

Try asking the company for a detailed job description for the new roll. While they prepare it it would do you no harm to take a stern look at your CV and the other jobs in your sector and location to see if there is anything else out there you feel you are qualified for and interested in.

As others have said A Job is better than No Job, it may be a case of sucking it up in a position that pays but is not ideal and waiting on the market to improve then moving on. Having all your ducks in a row with your CV etc will not hurt and my prove invaluable if you are required to formally apply for the new positions or if you want to try your hand at other jobs out there.

br
    Free Member

Simply, if you want to leave then do nothing, otherwise you’ll have to go through the ‘process’.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘At risk of redundancy…………….any employment law experts out there?’ is closed to new replies.