• This topic has 22 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • At a loose end in That London tomorrow, Friday 17th, what to do?
  • tomhoward

As above really, got a work function to go to tonight then am travelling back tomorrow around 430, was going to meet a mate but have been stood up in advance. So what can I do in Victoria to while away the hours?

alfabus
    Free Member

near victoria you say…

Stuff yourself
    and see how many beers from the menu you can drink

Beyond that, I’d go to the imperial war museum. You’re only a short (Lambeth) walk away 🙂

Dave

dknwhy

Imperial War Museum is shut until July I think but you’re close enough to wander to a few of the touristy places…

British Museum is worth a visit to see all the things we’ve stolen from around the world. You can get the tube to it (Tottenham Court Road) and then walk back via Leicester Square, Trafalgar Square, The Mall and Buckingham Palace (45 mins ish). London’s not as big as you think it is. The tube makes some places seem further than they actually are.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

If you’re into musical instruments, you can easily lose an afternoon in Denmark Street

globalti
    Free Member

Visit a massage parlour?

toby1

Base jump from the sHard?

spchantler
    Free Member

go to shoreditch to look at the ****, or hoxton to look at the bonnets. actually you wouldn’t need to go that far, tweed jacket wearing, ukelele playing fake spec wearing skinny jeaned beardy nobs everywhere

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hire a Boris and head for Soho, pop in at Bar Italia for a double espresso, head to Golden Sq to the Nordic Bakery for cinnamon buns and more coffee, then down the street to Brewer St got pop in to Rapha… For more cake & coffee, then head back up the hill to work it all off.
    Or head to the British Museum or Tate (normal or modern)
    But I’d stick with the cake run.
    Wave if you pass me won’t ya’s.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, IWM is still closed. The Tate isn’t though!

Good to see someone else recommending Cask. There’s some super stuff on at the moment. Just back from a couple..

*Hic*

Not in town tomorrow, otherwise would have joined you for one or two!

theotherjonv

Don’t go up to Lords even though they do have tickets available. If today’s turgid, dreary fare was anything to go by you’ll have a better time doing any of the above.

(unless you are a cricket fan, and haven’t been, might be a chance to get to see a test match there)

tomhoward

Cheers chaps, just dragged my(deeply hungover)self out of the hotel now, shall have a mooch up to the cask for a bit of the hair of the dog!

If anyone fancies a pint, come on down!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

So, what did you try?

tomhoward

Tried three, 2 light and one a bit darker, wasn’t that keen on that one, but the first 2 were excellent though. I’m buggered if I can remember what they were called though, I just kept asking the bar staff to give me something good! Was still a bit hazy when I was there, to the point that the bar staff asked me if everything was ok….

I do remember the burger though, and the accompanying bacon dusted chips! They alone were worth the trip!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

🙂 Will pass on your feedback!

tomhoward

Haha,

‘Hungover man liked your burgers, and 2/3rds of the beer you fed him!’

I was in bits, will post a thread that will indicate just how bad but momentarily…..

scuttler

Hungover man – not sure if you were on the Magic Rock that they do in The Cask, but Magic Rock do uplifts too!

tomhoward

Believe me, an uplift was the furthest think from my mind! My hazy memory brings back a very hoppy beer, beginning with C, with a green label on the pump. Regulars?

scuttler

Cannonball? Possibly A bit full-on for hair of the dog.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

They don’t have any regular, as in often/always on beers, so could have been anything!

tomhoward

I meant regulars such as in yourself Flashy, folk who are always in there!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Tate Modern. Absorbing, mentally exhausting and totally worthwhile. You’ll be split 3 ways: a third you will giggle at, a third you’ll appreciate, and a third you will think is great.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, I gathered that! Just really hard to ever know what beer is in if you haven’t been for a few days, as is my current situation!

DrJ

Too late, but *strongly* recommend the Salgado exhibition at the Natural History Museum – awesome landscape photography.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘At a loose end in That London tomorrow, Friday 17th, what to do?’ is closed to new replies.