Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • At a biking crossroads?!
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

I'm loving my riding at the moment more than I have for a long time, but feel something is missing. I'm not sure what it is but something seems like it needs fixing.

In terms of riding; I love BMX for the technical and social aspects, I love XC for the long rides in the country and love a bit of AM/DH riding for the challenge and skill needed. Occasionally ride road but find it really boring and only really do it if the weather is shite. Not a great one for wanting to swap bikes all the time as I just enjoy riding, although I would love to splash out on a more rugged bike.

I suppose I have almost too much going on – becoming a jack of most trades and a master of none (although my riding has greatly improved). If I go out I feel like I'm cheating on one of my other sides of cycling.

I'm sure over time I'll sort this out. Has anyone else felt like this?

Just to make matters worse I want to get into other types of riding too, more for the technical side of improving my cycling rather than the fitness. The main bit, which stems from having my breath taken away by Jedi's constructions, is north shore. This is something I'd like to spend some more time building up my skills in but need to find somewhere locally to get this underway.

Its a shame we don't have the mountain biking facilities places like New Zealand have as I think I'd be quite content – here I get the impression the trail centres are slightly santised for the masses rather that providing suitable progression for all. I love Gawton but felt this again was more about people who had already reached a high level of skill rather than providing a path to progression.

Not quite sure why I'm posting this but wanted to get it off my chest. 😉

peteimpreza

Bushwacked I found some shore near Dursley the other day. Not sure how much is there but I can let you know the location if you drop me an email.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Pete – YGM

molgrips
    Free Member

Well I found that the bike led me into the riding. I bought a Patriot a while back on impulse (it was very much on sale) and started trying to jump off stuff and do DH. My skills improved loads and I now do a lot more even on other bikes.

As for trail centres being santised – just ride them faster. They become much much more involving. They are designed to be rideable by almost everyone so aren't difficult to get round; but they are also designed to need skill to do really fast.

Brechfa Green is a good example 🙂

jedi

cycling is a big wide world. do it all!!!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Jedi – FACT – You've opened the door…

molgrips
    Free Member

cycling is a big wide world. do it all!!!

That's what I am going for. Currently need a dirt jump bike or maybe a BMX, and a track bike.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘At a biking crossroads?!’ is closed to new replies.