Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Astronomy Binoculars
  • mrmoofo

I want to do a bit of random star gazing. Wifey bought we a Jesse’s reflector telescope many years ago. Unfortunately it was a bit rubbish on the stability from, so never really got used.

There seems to be a lot about using Binos – at least to see the nebula in Orion’s belt. Anyone ever used any and have a recommendation?
    On some sites people are plumping for Soviet made 1990s one

Thoughts / comments?

Daffy

If you’re wanting to hold them, 15*50s are about the max you’ll manage without wobbling all over the place. After that, I’d try for some early 2000 Flouride coated 25*100s with an inbuilt tripod mount and differential correction for each eye. The ability to mount filters is also advantageous if you’re planning to look at non-planetary stuff. If you’re in a light polluted area, you’ll need filters.

CountZero

Might be worth looking into getting a better tripod for the reflector, to give greater stability; using a high magnification pair of binocs is just going to give you the same problem, a very narrow field of view that accentuates every tiny move.

mrmoofo

The reflector isn’t the great quality – it was aJessops 100 GBP – very thing and plasticky. My wife had the right idea but the build is not up to the job.

I was going to use some sort of mount – mainly because I have some inherent shaking that I have always had, so hand held is never going to work

I was looking at Speyside 15 x70s (or 20×90) as they seem to be the next stage up from Celestion in quality. I am not sure if I can justify the extra cost of Helios Apollos

And the cost effective solutions – the Speysides at around 100 GBP and would do …if I find myself addicted then I could always buy better ….

ampthill

I was looking at Speyside 15 x70s (or 20×90) as they seem to be the next stage up from Celestion in quality. I am not sure if I can justify the extra cost of Helios Apollos

They both sound huge to me and I would think hand holding would be really hard at that magnification. My telescope starts at 80mm x 16 which is great for loads of stuff on a tripod but i couldn’t imagine hand holding it

OK I just tried out the window. I can see stuff but even sat down with my elbows on my knees its still quite shackey

They would be amazing with support but that would i think cost as much as the binoculars or more. Also looking up gets hard with a mounted instrument with a straight optical path. This is important as where I live has lots of light pollution. This affects objects above about 45 degrees from the horizon less

I’d look at 8×42 or may 10×50

Loads of imfo here

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-equipment/choosing-binoculars-for-stargazing/

Even more articles here

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-equipment/choosing-astronomy-equipment/binoculars/

jairaj

I have a set of Celestron Skymaster 15×70 binoculars. They are too big to use handheld and standing unless looking at something like the Moon. Sitting down is no too bad if you stabilise it with elbows on knees. But absolutely fine using a cheap tripod or mono pod. I’m no binocular expert but the optics give a very nice clear and sharp image. I love looking at the moon you can see a lot more detail. Most nebulee and star clusters fit inside the field of view, Pleiades and Beehive cluster are some of my favourites.

mrmoofo

I would use a mono-pod
    It’s not going to be hand held

CountZero

10×50 binoculars have the largest exit pupil, so the greatest light-gathering power, so a good pair of that size might be the best bet, plus they’ll likely be cheaper than the sleeker roof-prism type, and while heavy, are equally as good for outdoor daytime use.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Astronomy Binoculars’ is closed to new replies.